the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project?

+18
Mantha
Triniman
freepressreader
wpg_idiot
AGEsAces
umcrouc0
LivingDead
holly golightly
Outsider
Northlands
death128
Electrician
rosencrentz
Jondo
Bartron
EdWin
grumpy old man
Deank
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project?

POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 4 Vote_lcap15%POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 15% [ 4 ]
POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 4 Vote_lcap65%POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 65% [ 17 ]
POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 4 Vote_lcap19%POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 19% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 27]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

sweet jesus!!

"
David Asper, the businessman who has been spearheading efforts to build a new stadium at the University of Manitoba, told CBC News there is a chance he might bow out of the process entirely."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2010/11/05/mb-stadium-bomber-project-winnipeg.html?ref=fh,kwdc.forumotion.com

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

And you're surprised by this!!!!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nope

prayers have been answered Smile

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Good riddance to David Asper's $10,000,000 contribution!
I have it on good information that when he was the President of the Bomber's , on game days, he insisted that he get free hot dogs!
All he wanted to get done was get a new stadium, and pointed out that a new stadium shold be paid for by the provincial government, because a new stadium is not a money maker.
How ridiculous a statement! How can a stadium not make money?

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AHEM!

D Aspers 10 million contribution was not actually a contribution

It was in fact a GUARANTEE paid by Mr Asper that if his plan fell through the 10 mill was to go to the team to help them recover from all their time he cost them.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Livio Ci

Anonymous

LOL...GET OVER IT.

Sam will continue to drive this. Forget the contract forget everything you've read, Sam will push for this like he pushed for his ballpark.

Note; Every candidate in Charleswood turned thumbs down on the deal....we'll see how long Paula stands up.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

its statements like that "get over it" that are the reason we need a recall process.

Sam should step down after making that statement. as much as I hate the thought of another mayoral election so soon "get over it" is an insult to taxpayers everywhere

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

deanK- watch it! This is your last warning about denigrating our best Mayor in office today! I cannot believe the stupidity of Katz, for only $145,000 per year and all the abuse he takes!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heheh... hey rosie.. "get over it"

Razz

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Dean- Orlikow asked me to ask you to remove his name from your posting!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Why.. its free publicity

Smile

Anonymous

The stories and comments in our two newspapers suggest clearly that Peggers are about 80% in favour of dumping Asker.

Many believe that we don't need a new stadium to begin with.

I reckon that this will be a major election issue as it seems to be getting to the silent majority and they seem to be a little less silent as this drags out.

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

As far as I am concerned, I want the new stadium to be built at the university location.
I don't want it to be done cheaply, I want them to do what Creswin proposed.
In my opinion, the only way the old stadium could be refurbished is to tear it down and start over. It's not comfortable to sit in, it's difficult for older people to get to their seats. It is falling apart, bathrooms, concessions, parking lot, seats, roof , you name it.
I would like more information for the Creswin stadium, but I also want them to continue. I can see this thing coming in around $190 million when finished. In my opinion, not too bad for a 33,000 seat stadium, MTS Center cost what $140 million.
I also realize that the bottomless pit of education, healthcare, road repairs etc also need funding too, as well as many arts groups, ballet, community centers etc. Everyone has their hand out.
However, I too am a taxpayer and would like to see this finished, if somehow a miracle happens and Asper's Elms project takes off and he gives back the bridge financing, then he gets the team, and taypayers get some of their money back. If not, we have a facility that will last for the next 50 years or so

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Yeah, but are we all sure the new stadium will be BETTER than the existing one???
Will the new stadium start falling to pieces after 2 winters?
Who knows, who knows?
Since the present stadium is still built in sections and has already been rebuilt in sections, why can't they do it again, and in a better way?

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There is no point in having the new stadium built in a central location! I think that that area today is more valuable as retail area?
We have a pretty good history of provincial government not wanting to get involved with private sports teams.
The Conservative government in 1995 wouldn't do anything to "SAVE THE JETS", and allowed a team that was spending +$25,000,000 per year to leave the City.
An expense of $50 million to buy the franchise back in 1995, is now worth +165 million, and the City has lost +500 million in business.
Good thinking!
Talk about no vision from government!
Chicken shits, in my book!

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

If we must build a new stadium, I would rather rebuild it at the existing location by Polo Park in stages.
Even if the Elms at Polo Park does take off, the streets around Polo Park can not handle the extra traffic on an on-going basis anyway.
The traffic they have around there is bad enough now Exclamation

Anonymous

USApegger wrote:As far as I am concerned, I want the new stadium to be built at the university location.
In my opinion, the only way the old stadium could be refurbished is to tear it down and start over. It's not comfortable to sit in, it's difficult for older people to get to their seats. It is falling apart, bathrooms, concessions, parking lot, seats, roof , you name it.
I would like more information for the Creswin stadium, but I also want them to continue. I can see this thing coming in around $190 million when finished. In my opinion, not too bad for a 33,000 seat stadium, MTS Center cost what $140 million.
I also realize that the bottomless pit of education, healthcare, road repairs etc also need funding too, as well as many arts groups, ballet, community centers etc. Everyone has their hand out.
However, I too am a taxpayer and would like to see this finished, if somehow a miracle happens and Asper's Elms project takes off and he gives back the bridge financing, then he gets the team, and taypayers get some of their money back. If not, we have a facility that will last for the next 50 years or so

Don't like our present stadium....???Get over it then.

At $300,000 PER GAME for a new facility, it ain't worth the money...not in this day and age with our infrastructure deficit hanging over our heads.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

How's that math arrived at again?

Anonymous

It's arrived at simply.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Evidently.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How was the cost ? of the old stadium paid for?
Isn't Asper's statement that a stadiums cost cannot be covered by 20 Bomber games per year, very accurate?
$200,000,000 @ 5% interest = $10,000,000 divided by 20= $500,000 per game for interest only. That is $20 per ticket for interest based on 25,000 per game, and then paying back the capital add another $20.
It does work, if ticket prices are increased $40 each.
No one would complain about thet, would they?

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

JTF wrote:
USApegger wrote:As far as I am concerned, I want the new stadium to be built at the university location.

Don't like our present stadium....???Get over it then.

At $300,000 PER GAME for a new facility, it ain't worth the money...not in this day and age with our infrastructure deficit hanging over our heads.
$45 million will barely make a dent in the infrastructure deficit. In my opinion the only way to do this is to either (as Katz has suggested) get 1% of the PST and use it only for this or figure out a way to add even more tax onto the price of gasoline that goes directly to the city to pay for this (or do both). We will never (imo) get anywhere just cutting back on services and waste, although it's a good place to start.
And no, I don't like our present stadium, it's a run down piece of crap, WEC never invested a dime in it, and neither did the Bombers, and this is what you get, sort of like our infrastructure

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

We need to aproach the stadium deal the same way Saskatchewan is/did with their $430m stadium project. The sigificant difference is below:

".....nor will any debt be incurred to build it. Significant private-sector involvement will be mandatory, meaning potential partners will need to be identified and negotiated with. Above all, its going to be all about costs, costs, costs."

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Electrician wrote:Yeah, but are we all sure the new stadium will be BETTER than the existing one???
Will the new stadium start falling to pieces after 2 winters?
Who knows, who knows?
Since the present stadium is still built in sections and has already been rebuilt in sections, why can't they do it again, and in a better way?
Was anyone sure that a new arena would be better than an old arena? Did anyone ask if the new arena would start falling apart after two winters?
As I recall, many whined, bitched and complained and kicked their heals up (just like many Winnipeggers typically do when some "new" involving "change" is proposed, God forbid) when a new arena was proposed, saying that it would essentially be unlike the old Winnipeg Arena, take away a useless empty Eatons building, and of course, cost too much money, waaahhhh!!!!!. Well guess what? Going from a POS that many didn't enjoy being in to one of the busiest venues in North America, and now a contender to host a new NHL franchise. Big difference eh?
A new stadium is needed and will help make this a better city in the long run. The only change I propose is that someone other than the Aspers are found with deep pockets to fund this stadium with more private money, in turn needing less public money.

Last edited by EdWin on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There will be no other private investors stepping forward to invest in a stadium.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum