the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: What would you rather have - NHL hockey or a new Bomber stadium?

+5
rosencrentz
Deank
Electrician
eViL tRoLl
Triniman
9 posters

POLL: What would you rather have - NHL hockey or a new Bomber stadium?

POLL: What would you rather have - NHL hockey or a new Bomber stadium? Vote_lcap44%POLL: What would you rather have - NHL hockey or a new Bomber stadium? Vote_rcap 44% [ 4 ]
POLL: What would you rather have - NHL hockey or a new Bomber stadium? Vote_lcap0%POLL: What would you rather have - NHL hockey or a new Bomber stadium? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
POLL: What would you rather have - NHL hockey or a new Bomber stadium? Vote_lcap56%POLL: What would you rather have - NHL hockey or a new Bomber stadium? Vote_rcap 56% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Speculation is that we can't afford both. And to get the NHL back in Winnipeg, some tax money would be needed.

Given a choice, which would you rather have?

The return of an NHL team to Winnipeg or a new Bomber stadium?

Can we afford both?

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Need two more options:
- a premium SOCCER stadium for the new league
- no more public expenses for sports, let's get our priorities straight please.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

How about a decent CANADIAN hockey league, with family-size tickets and home-grown young talented hockey players.
There's a similar situation in the CFL... All the important players come from south of the border... like as if there ain't excellent football players in Canada?
Another thing to consider: The bigger, the more expensive, and better the teams become, the more the weaker teams flunk, big time. The Manitoba Moose still could have a chance at winnng their hometown crowd, by having a completely franchise owned roster.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

eViL tRoLl wrote:Need two more options:
- a premium SOCCER stadium for the new league
- no more public expenses for sports, let's get our priorities straight please.

wouldn't new seating in the current indoor soccer stadium suffice?

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Heh.
@#$% means BS in Yahooian.
lol!

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How about a covered heated football, hockey and swimming in a tank enclosure?

http://www.elansofas.com

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Why would we need tax money to get the NHL back?

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

USApegger wrote:Why would we need tax money to get the NHL back?

I was wondering the same thing.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Some people like to make up stories to make their point. Facts generally are meaningless to these people...

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Electrician wrote:How about a decent CANADIAN hockey league, with family-size tickets and home-grown young talented hockey players.
There's a similar situation in the CFL... All the important players come from south of the border... like as if there ain't excellent football players in Canada?
Another thing to consider: The bigger, the more expensive, and better the teams become, the more the weaker teams flunk, big time. The Manitoba Moose still could have a chance at winnng their hometown crowd, by having a completely franchise owned roster.

That would be a great success. No end of supply and it would connect every province. Cities could use the arenas that their pro teams including NHL claim are so inadequate. Salaries could be respectable - about $100k. Tickets about $15. Heck I remember going to Jets games for $6 and those were the expensive Red seats. I hope somebody does it.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

name one pro sport team that moved without government money anywhere in north america in the last 30 years.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

[quote="Jondo"]
Electrician wrote:How about a decent CANADIAN hockey league, with family-size tickets and home-grown young talented hockey players.

wouldn't that just be the CHL? ( WHL, OHL and QMJHL)

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Dean the niche would be Montreal playing Winnipeg, St. John's playing Toronto, Edmonton playing Halifax. It would be awesome. I'd follow that. Only about 12 teams.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nah.. 12 teams is way too small. Give me 20 teams and I will get behind it.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Some people like to make up stories to make their point. Facts generally are meaningless to these people...

I'll tell you what prompted me to create this poll, seeing one of the Sandboxians comment in a Winnipeg Free Press live chat today on how we can't afford to get NHL back if we are going to cover tens of millions of dollars for a new stadium.

But also, the topic has been raised before in the Sandbox:

"We have had some very heated discussions in the sandbox when we discuss government spending. At the risk of reigniting those flames I'd like to discuss them here without letting emotion take over.

Some members believe it is just fine for governments to spend money on bringing the Jets back."

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:nah.. 12 teams is way too small. Give me 20 teams and I will get behind it.

Then we have to include Regina......and the Hamilton's of Canada. That would bring us to about 15. I don't think each province (on average) could sustain 2 teams. I'd hate to be a young player and get traded to the Newfoundland Newfie's. I think names like that would be key to marketing the league. Winnipeg would be the Winnipeg Propellors. The Regina Armpit's etc.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The Quebec Poutines?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Triniman wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:

I'll tell you what prompted me to create this poll, seeing one of the Sandboxians comment in a Winnipeg Free Press live chat today on how we can't afford to get NHL back if we are going to cover tens of millions of dollars for a new stadium.

But also, the topic has been raised before in the Sandbox:

"We have had some very heated discussions in the sandbox when we discuss government spending. At the risk of reigniting those flames I'd like to discuss them here without letting emotion take over.

Some members believe it is just fine for governments to spend money on bringing the Jets back."
Huh? Here is what you said: "And to get the NHL back in Winnipeg, some tax money would be needed."

Is that fact or fiction?

What has that to do with your explanation for starting this thread?

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

It's speculation, not fact, that has been raised in the Sandbox and most recently, today, on the Free Press live chat at the City Council meeting.

Speculation. I don't know if relocating a team here has to involve tax money. Some will say yes, some no, but we can have a discussion about it.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

exactly a discussion

Although I was thinking. I guess it could be argued that we already paid our government money out and continue to pay it out via the 100% VLT revenues and the no government funding for buildings that compete clauses.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ahhh, so fiction then.

Perhaps then the sentence should have been structured something along these lines: "And to get the NHL back in Winnipeg, I believe some tax money would be needed."

Okay. Discuss away.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

why?

F that

anyway. it started because Mayor McDickhead actually brought up the

"we never funded a new arena and look what happened" argument for the new stadium

what an absolutely stupid, idiotic, moronic, argument. We are in NO danger of the bombers leaving because of not getting a new stadium. In fact it can be reasonably argued that forcing them into 4 mill per year debt servicing will force them to fold.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Whatchu talkin' about Willis?

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Ahhh, so fiction then.

Perhaps then the sentence should have been structured something along these lines: "And to get the NHL back in Winnipeg, I believe some tax money would be needed."

Okay. Discuss away.

Nope. I have no such view. "Some believe" is what I should have posted.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum