the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project?

+18
Mantha
Triniman
freepressreader
wpg_idiot
AGEsAces
umcrouc0
LivingDead
holly golightly
Outsider
Northlands
death128
Electrician
rosencrentz
Jondo
Bartron
EdWin
grumpy old man
Deank
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project?

POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 11 Vote_lcap15%POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 11 Vote_rcap 15% [ 4 ]
POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 11 Vote_lcap65%POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 11 Vote_rcap 65% [ 17 ]
POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 11 Vote_lcap19%POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 11 Vote_rcap 19% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 27]

Well, the deal wasn't really well thought out, and there is a reason that Canwest went under.

...and his name is Reksa...Smile

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL

so they have reverted to plan B

"The Plan B option allowed for the existing site where the stadium exists, which yields no tax revenue, to be opened up for redevelopment and private investment will go into that site which will generate revenues to help pay for the stadium."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/stadium-deal-goes-to-plan-b-108891274.html

Heh... now I wonder what recent civic election candidate proposed that exact same thing... someone from the point douglas ward... someone who did not place first or last in the election.. man.. his name is on the tip of my tongue

Anonymous

Deank wrote:LOL

so they have reverted to plan B

"The Plan B option allowed for the existing site where the stadium exists, which yields no tax revenue, to be opened up for redevelopment and private investment will go into that site which will generate revenues to help pay for the stadium."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/stadium-deal-goes-to-plan-b-108891274.html

Heh... now I wonder what recent civic election candidate proposed that exact same thing... someone from the point douglas ward... someone who did not place first or last in the election.. man.. his name is on the tip of my tongue

Marty wasn't running in Point Douglas

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL

no no.. I mean someone far sexier Smile

Anonymous

Plan B goes against the benefits the TIF program was intended to provide for a neighborhood.

When it was first proposed people saw it for what it was, just another shell game.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

fine dont use taxes for it. Simply keep ownership and charge the people who want to use it a long term lease cost Smile

Anonymous

what

Lease the Stadium out ? That would be part of the business plan regardless of how its being funded to be built.

I wonder if there is somehting in our constitution that allows a Citizen to throw an injunction up to stop construction. It seems to me, they'll just keep going without any details put on the table.

to bad Bernie bellan didn't see fit to bite on this one.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no no.. lease the existing land out...

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Is she hot?

Got any pics?

Anonymous

The existing stadium land ?

Why not just sell it and be done with it . As far as the City is concerned, we shouldn't be in the business of holding leases. We could , but, longterm, its another bureaucracy that will take shape filled with high paid public servants demanding they get paid like the 'real " world making more side deals. Wait, thats what CentreVenture is.

In the end, the land is worth at the very least 5 Million. Take away a million to tear the structure down, and the City recoups some money.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JT Estoban wrote:

Is she hot?

Got any pics?

snicker... check your private message box Smile

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Livio Ciaralli wrote:The existing stadium land ?

Why not just sell it and be done with it . As far as the City is concerned, we shouldn't be in the business of holding leases. We could , but, longterm, its another bureaucracy that will take shape filled with high paid public servants demanding they get paid like the 'real " world making more side deals. Wait, thats what CentreVenture is.

In the end, the land is worth at the very least 5 Million. Take away a million to tear the structure down, and the City recoups some money.

an article in the last couple days says 10 mill

but yeah I here you. City should not be involved.

But we need to look at innovative ways to fund these big projects

so its seems simple.
remembering that the current land gives us nothing in revenue
Sell current land on open market. Put that money towards the stadium
Put city portion ( not school) of taxes towards new stadium for 10 -20 years.

city would end up paying for 1/2 of new stadium. \
yeah yeah.. dont spend money.. but the kicker is, we either spend new money for a new stadium or spend existing money on the existing stadium or just let it fail completely.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:snicker... check your private message box Smile

lol..I'm all in favor of showing off some midriff....but uh...... affraid

Anonymous

Nothing innovative about that Dean.

Question is , why won't they talk about things like lotteries, shares, frac ownership, municipal / Provincial bond issues.

All they want to do is "just " build it with tax dollars. Seems awfully lazy to me.

The issue isn't about spending money or needing a new stadium. the issue is who's money. Last time i checked, the stock market allowed people to invest and doesn't require tax dollars to keep operating.

I'm sure you can easily afford to buy 6 endzone seats ( 1500 ea. ) seats if i gave you 10 years to pay for it - tax free......maybe even better if they gave you a little tax incentive like a write off of the investment over time. See there are creative ways of doing things. You just got to talk about it instead of staying on the same track, which unfortuantely, is where we tend to keep going to.....tax dollars funding projects for privates. at the 12 th hour gun to the head mentality..

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

agreed.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The NDP has very little to offer in the way of creativity. Best talk to hugie to see what his thoughts are in this matter.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Why? The NDP will do everything in its power to force the construction of a stadium being set LONG before the election takes place. hughie will have not chance at doing anything other then stopping the construction of something already 100% tendered.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Personally I think Liv's proposal is exactly what should be happening.

Liv, have you considered getting a petition together to force the Bombers to pull the plug on the current debacle?

The Bombers have their own forum...post the links on there to the proposal, with a page to your website allowing a "signature".

If enough of their own fans tell them to, they will listen.
At the very least a petition can be taken to City Hall, or even a court to file an injunction (if it's written into the petition that it may be used for that) to stop construction.

http://www.photage.ca

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Analogy:
A few years ago, the former mayor, yeah, that Btard, wanted to dig out an underground parking lot going about 4 levels below sea level, filling in a canal which reaches into the downtown area here in Trieste. The people went out and occupied a nearby adjacent square and blocked all the construction crews from going on with an underground survey of the area.

Stop any nonsense, at it's roots, and maybe you'll be able to look more forward towards much better and needy projects.
(photo will follow).

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 11 114_1462

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Anonymous

Ages, I did that 2 years ago. Response from the forum was lukewarm to say the least. Seems like there are an awful lot of 'experts" who just want to use tax dollars to build it and they need a recognizable face to tell them what to think

I just want the discussion to happen. Being an introvert ( ironically ) I'm more comfortable working in the background where most of the action is. I've seeded here and there, did the spot on CBC, tapped some media, nope, no bites. It's almost like you have to belong to some clique for them to even have some curiosity and want to explore.

I have a meeting on Tuesday and will pop into Hugh's office to see if they have interest in making it a small platform issue in answer to what the Conservatives would do when it comes to a Stadium build. ( because , you know, they have to come up with something to counter Selinger )

It's just an idea and till some conversation happens, I won't be on the street corner yelling about it cuz no one pays attention to the message..

Anonymous

If that land is so valuable, why hasn't anything happened with the old arena site? Why is that just sitting there?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Livio Ciaralli wrote:I have a meeting on Tuesday and will pop into Hugh's office to see if they have interest in making it a small platform issue in answer to what the Conservatives would do when it comes to a Stadium build. ( because , you know, they have to come up with something to counter Selinger )

It's just an idea and till some conversation happens, I won't be on the street corner yelling about it cuz no one pays attention to the message..
That was what I was getting at earlier.

If hughie can counter selinger's idea with a viable proposal that uses fewer tax dollars and more "user" fees, and end's up with much the same stadium, then I can't see them ignoring the proposition.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:If that land is so valuable, why hasn't anything happened with the old arena site? Why is that just sitting there?
Good point.

I expect the Shindico group can't find the kind of tenants they want (same reason Asper used) and won't put shovel in ground until they obtain "X"% of the units signed on the dotted line.

I imagine the Ikea site is a bit of a magnet as well...

Just blue-skying'...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Excellent news. I buy frozen dim sum entrees now at a small store in China Town. I hear these folks have terrific fresh Asian foods.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum