the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project?

+18
Mantha
Triniman
freepressreader
wpg_idiot
AGEsAces
umcrouc0
LivingDead
holly golightly
Outsider
Northlands
death128
Electrician
rosencrentz
Jondo
Bartron
EdWin
grumpy old man
Deank
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project?

POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 13 Vote_lcap15%POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 13 Vote_rcap 15% [ 4 ]
POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 13 Vote_lcap65%POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 13 Vote_rcap 65% [ 17 ]
POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 13 Vote_lcap19%POLL: Continue or scrap the Crestwin Bomber stadium project? - Page 13 Vote_rcap 19% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 27]

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

Edmonton averages in the high 30's per game during the season. I'd bet that if they were to build a new stadium today, without a Commonwealth games or World University Games in the offing they'd not be building a 63k seat stadium.

Remember the first Grey Cup held in Winnipeg? We sat 55k~ for that game and get by in a stadium that seats 30k. I think the Bombers could seat more but 20 years of futility and a pathetic excuse of a venue all conspire against that achievement...

Anonymous

JTF wrote:Exactly.

This stadium deal represents all that is wrong with the NDP government.

These guys are buying beer when the baby hasn't got any milk.

Wonder if Stephen has fiqured out how to give Quebec their money for that stadium yet , after all gotta get a majority there . It is by no means a NDP thing.

Anonymous

55Thou, yes, temporary seating . But I kinda think the new stadium won't be able to adjust for seating, or will it. If its a bowl, the ability to cram in an additional 20 to 30 thou will be hard to do .

With the grey Cup coming around every 6 to 10 years, it would make sense to take advantage of it. Smaller venues are in vogue but even Montreal defaults to the Big O for big games where they attract 50 thou plus. Just a thought . We either build for the big games or we satisfy ourselves with lost revenues.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

My understanding the current new stadium design accomodated a few thousand more seats for a Grey Cup. Not sure how many though.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

One of the reasons Montreal is so successful is they have a very high demand for tickets and very few to offer. Their ticket prices are the highest in the league and they've sold out for several years now. I expect that model would work here is well.

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

The other thing Montreal has going for them is their winning percentage.
For the last couple of years the Blue have been pretty successful at the Box Office even with their old stadium. But once the fans realize the team will not make the playoffs the casual fan support comes to a grinding halt. Heck I have seen longggg time season ticket holders stop coming when the bombers are or soon will be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Outsider wrote:Heck I have seen longggg time season ticket holders stop coming when the bombers are or soon will be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.
That includes moi...

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

One thing to consider with your proposal for free admission though Liv.

#1 - 12 & under need to have a parent with them...do the parents get in free too?...where do they sit, because I know I wouldn't want my little kid by themselves in an isolated section...even if there WAS security setup for them.

#2 - handicapped people will have the same requirement. Either someone to care for them, or push their chair, etc. And there's plenty of people who would "rent" a chair (yes, it can be done), just to get the free bomber ticket.

It's great to offer incentives like that...but all those things must be considered.

A ticket sale is not based on age, it's based on a seat being used (because it's assigned seating).
Having a discounted ticket for a kid is fine...even if it's only $5...provided the ticket-taker verifies the kid is present when the ticket is checked in, and that some sort of security verifies it sometime during the game.

http://www.photage.ca

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

If you are going to start discounting tickets, they have to be in the "less desirable" locations.
If I am paying full price and I find out the guys beside me are getting in at a discount, I stop going permanently.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I've often said discount the tickets in the areas that are always purchased last. You know where they are just by looking at the corners: they are almost always empty.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Outsider wrote:If you are going to start discounting tickets, they have to be in the "less desirable" locations.
If I am paying full price and I find out the guys beside me are getting in at a discount, I stop going permanently.

No, I'll disagree there a bit.

Yes...if I'm there and a bunch of guys/gals my age are there and they got their tickets for 1/2 price on the same row I am...then I'd be a little peeved.

But if there's a family of say Dad, mom & 3 kids (under say 16)...I don't have any problem with those kids getting discount tickets, as long as the parents paid full price.
Those kids are (typically) going to do less damage to the seats, are going to (probably) eat more food, and will likely grow up to buy full-priced tickets themselves if they enjoy the game/event.

I also don't have a problem with discount tickets for people who buy packages/season tickets...as they will put more money up front than I might.

And I'd never have a problem with offering a discount ticket for a handicapped person, or a handicap assistant, provided some proof of legitimacy was provided for the purchase (some kind of medical ID # or something).

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

AGEsAces wrote:One thing to consider with your proposal for free admission though Liv.

#1 - 12 & under need to have a parent with them...do the parents get in free too?...where do they sit, because I know I wouldn't want my little kid by themselves in an isolated section...even if there WAS security setup for them.

#2 - handicapped people will have the same requirement. Either someone to care for them, or push their chair, etc. And there's plenty of people who would "rent" a chair (yes, it can be done), just to get the free bomber ticket.

It's great to offer incentives like that...but all those things must be considered.

A ticket sale is not based on age, it's based on a seat being used (because it's assigned seating).
Having a discounted ticket for a kid is fine...even if it's only $5...provided the ticket-taker verifies the kid is present when the ticket is checked in, and that some sort of security verifies it sometime during the game.

1) parents could/should attend regardless if they are fractional owners. Non owners can buy a ticket from the pool of available frac owners who do not attend. But the areas can be monitored by staff. The idea is not to shut the doors down to anyone regardless of their age or financial position.

2) Same as existing stadium, handicapped people will have their needs respected

Of course , evferyhting will be up for discussion. The point is you want the site to be as human as possible and make it a true Community based solution. I figure adding the childrens area would generate 2000 mouths to feed for the whole game plus allow for adequate seating for the true fans of the game.

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:One of the reasons Montreal is so successful is they have a very high demand for tickets and very few to offer. Their ticket prices are the highest in the league and they've sold out for several years now. I expect that model would work here is well.

The only thing different is Montreal has a 75 THousand seat stadium for the big games to accomodate the additional demand. We won't.

Anonymous

Outsider wrote:If you are going to start discounting tickets, they have to be in the "less desirable" locations.

Outsider, the only people who get in for free will be the kids and disabled. As for you, I'd expect you to be an owner and you'd have your choice of what you want to buy or where to sit. If you don't want to be an owner, you'd have to pay full price for a ticket based on where and what is available for you to sit in.

Don't forget , as an owner, you also get season tickets including playoffs for anywhere between 100 to 250 bucks a year.( pending what the team needs to operate )

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Is there a covered stadium in North Dakota? How many seats? Where is it?

http://www.elansofas.com

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:Is there a covered stadium in North Dakota? How many seats? Where is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargodome

Anonymous

48 million, not bad 25000 people. 400 million could buy a pretty impressive stadium with 50 thousand quite easily.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Only 19,000 seats- too bad, because with a few more seats maybe The Bombers could have rented it for November play off games, tying in a shopping spree in Grand Forks, with a weekend game.
We wouldnt have to use it too often as we don't make the play offs too often. sigh!

http://www.elansofas.com

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

I was looking at the web cam today, construction is still proceeding at the site

Anonymous

Disgusting display of leadership. An insult to a City that "wants" to be seen as progressive. Don't know about you but I'm beginning to feel more and more like a hick.

Anonymous

Black Rod keeps hammering the stadium deal. 200 Million plus. Now he's kinda guessing the old one gets fixed or Selinger will sink his boat and go down with it

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

from BR.. a quote from the premier about the stadium

"Selinger: "All people from Manitoba that go to university will have access to it. All members of the community will have access to it. It'll be available 24/7, 12 months of the year.""

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Excuse me?

How is that possible? We dont have any buildings NOW that are 24/7 for sports.

I really find it impossible to believe that Once(if) this thing is built a soccer team will be able to call up and say.. we want the field for practice at 4AM this Saturday. And actually get it, without some MASSIVE cost.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Livio Ciaralli wrote:Black Rod keeps hammering the stadium deal. 200 Million plus. Now he's kinda guessing the old one gets fixed or Selinger will sink his boat and go down with it

The Province is beyond flat broke. Just wait until Selinger coughs up millions for the stadium AND millions more that he doesn't have for the rights museum. Goodbye NDP for the next generation or so.

Do it, Selinger, do it!

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:Excuse me?

How is that possible? We dont have any buildings NOW that are 24/7 for sports.

I really find it impossible to believe that Once(if) this thing is built a soccer team will be able to call up and say.. we want the field for practice at 4AM this Saturday. And actually get it, without some MASSIVE cost.
I can't believe you could get it at 4 PM without some serious cost, never mind 4 AM.
That 160, or whatever million it turns out to be is going to have be paid back somehow..

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Seems more like the other way around...
EVERYONE will be able to use the facility 24/7, since it'll be made with taxpayer money...
Problem is, by that time, the team will probably already have been sold and transferred to another city...

We can always make it into the biggest KARAOKE facility in the world...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum