the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

accident at traffic circle in river heights, one man in hospital

+10
Sourpuss
AGEsAces
Jondo
umcrouc0
JT Estoban
Electrician
sputnik
Mantha
grumpy old man
Deank
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

Even if Winnipeggers handle this barrier perfectly I can't see how this is a better solution than what was there originally.

Again, this is an ill-concieved public works project. They should have set up ONE intersection to test for a few months, including the winter. Then pass judgement and determine if practical on those streets.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Just watched a white Accord and a cyclist both approaching the intersection at the same time, BOTH come to a complete stop not knowing what the other was about to do lol. In that time another vehicle stops behind the Accord and you know have 2 cars that both had right of way stopped completely, waiting for a puzzled cyclist to go through in front of them.

Who is this helping again? With the 4-way, the cars would have stopped, the cyclist would have blown through anyways, and they all would have saved 15-20 seconds of confusion.

This would have been really fun to watch from 8am to 9am.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I was just talking to someone else about this, but it would be a money making venture to put all of the cities traffic cameras online so people could watch 24/7

Advertising dollars from a webpage like that would be huge./

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Why would they study them? They can do whatever they want in their domain of Winnipeg. The public has allowed them to take that attitude to outrageous heights. But they will take a few months to "study" adding a second to ambers - depsite all the evidence being in 10 years ago (and they're in the business). I think you get the picture. We need to start gathering - to be seen and heard in the near future. The public's relationship to it's increasingly detached governments is at a critical juncture. Start telling your politicians what to do and not the other way around. They will soon know that they have to earn your respect. Livio Ciaralli is the kind of politician who understands this. Same with Rob Ford - who will be Mayor of Toronto on Monday. Let's start that kind of shift here and now in Winnipeg. Get on the phone, get on the e-mail - and file FIPPA's for anything you want. That's the only form of accountability available to us presently. That and loud public gatherings.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well the good thing is that they are so poorly designed tearing them out and slapping up some 4 way stops signs will be relatively cheap

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well some of us politicians do care about the people. Problem is no one in the press will give us the time of day.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Sorry Dean - I should have included you to that short list. You are a man of the people. I saw your Shaw video. Great job on that. With enough exposure (4 days left) - you will resonate with the majority in your area.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I get tons of positive response at the door, I have people calling me and recommending changes to my brochures that will help more and people genuinely seem to like what I am talking about.

trouble is, I have me, my wife and kids as the only people out there and a full time job. hard to get to everyone, even harder now with the knee problems. So some sort of coverage from the media would help, but they have basically completely ignored our ward.

The shaw videos are not well advertised and for whatever reason they neglected to tell me when they were going to air so I never had a chance to really tell anyone about them and their are no debates/forums set for our area..

Sure the times, CBC, Freep, Sun and others have talked to us, but hardly a blip has resulted. I talked to the guy from the times for about 20-30 minutes and it resulted in about 10 words showing up.

It seems the media has decided to ignore our ward because they think Mike winning is a done deal so why waste time and then they wonder why there is voter apathy.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Dean it sounds like you won't get to most of the doors. You have a brochure however did you mail it to the ward? If not - why don't you print that many today and get them in tomorrow's bulk mail. I did this for Louise May last week and we hit 25,000 doors with it in one day. I'll help you with that if you want - but you'd have to get them printed today. I'll look after the rest. If you ned print help - I can have them printed today also.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

While that would be awesome. The rules the government implemented prevent me from being able to spend money on something like that. My budget = my $750 max contribution.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oo and for the record... I should get most of the ward done. I am at about 70% complete right now, just not sure if I am even going to sleep this weekend and if anyone on arlignton hears a loud SNAP thats probably one of my tendons ripping right in half.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Let's figure this out. How many mail boxes (res, apt's, businesses) in your ward? I'll get a quote on the cost as soon as I know that number. If we're mailing - the cost is .11 cents per piece. That brings us to a $ number needed. Maybe we can pony that up today. I'll see what I can do however we did the max already (both my wife and I) when joining Louises campaign. If we can't muster that money - then let's put together a team and hit these mailboxes ourelves on the weekend. We can supplement that effort by paying a few kids to run with us.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Okay I see we crossed replies here. Maybe you want to print the 30% (with the changes you mention) and save yourself walking it these last 6 days. That could surely be executed by tomorrow - if you want to.

Anonymous

Deank wrote:do any of the people going straight signal?

...and how would they do that?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

with the signal mechanism in their car... ie there is not supposed to be a straight

Anonymous

My signal lights are for right or left turns only. I don't have a signal mechanism for going straight...is it an after-market kit that you can get?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but.. its a circle.. how can you be going straight?

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Yeah, if the law states I have to signal around these things to go straight, then there's a law I'll be breaking.

I mean, it's a GIVEN that you'll be turning left around the circle. Putting a left blinker on while going straight is just going to confuse the guy coming from the direct opposite direction. Imagine it trying to work at a 4 way stop.

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:but.. its a circle.. how can you be going straight?

You've seen the size of these circles, Dean.

Can you truly say you are turning left while going straight through them? I barely have to move my steering wheel.

If the steering wheel ain't turning, I ain't signalling.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

obviously I am playing devils advocat here I love you

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Hear that?

That's the sound of you playing Devil's Advocate going over my head!

Got it now! Smile

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Jondo wrote:Okay I see we crossed replies here. Maybe you want to print the 30% (with the changes you mention) and save yourself walking it these last 6 days. That could surely be executed by tomorrow - if you want to.

I sent a private message to you

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

as you approach intersection you should in fact turn on your right blinker
as you traverse around the intersection no blinker should be on until you get to just before your intended exit at which point you signal right to exit...

have fun with that while the steering wheel is turning left eh?

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

What was Waverley and Grosvenor like prior to this?

I know Waverley had a stop sign, but was it a four way? Or direct flow on Grosvenor...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Heh, I don't recall if there was a four-way there. I do know that there were only about three four-ways along the stretch from Cambridge west to the dead-end and now there are 6 or 7 barriers.

I also do not remember Grosvenor being an unsafe street with people speeding like mad at all hours nor blowing through every stop sign.

Those are the figments of someone's imagination.

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

Deank wrote:as you approach intersection you should in fact turn on your right blinker
as you traverse around the intersection no blinker should be on until you get to just before your intended exit at which point you signal right to exit...

have fun with that while the steering wheel is turning left eh?

So on a left turn you never signal left. It involves turning 270 degrees to the left, while twice signalling right.

Traffic is always calm and there are never any accidents when professional drivers drive on a professional traffic circle - AKA NASCAR.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum