the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bike Accident

+2
grumpy old man
St Norberter
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bike Accident Empty Bike Accident Wed May 26, 2010 5:29 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Looks like first major bike accident of the season:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Cyclist-struck-by-vehicle-in-Polo-Park-area-94955594.html

Although something doesn't seem right with the description/story. It's written to make it seem like the headphones were the issue.

However, it says the cyclist turned off the off ramp as well, so why would she be cutting in front of the vehicle? Was she in the wrong lane? Facts are minimal, but seems like one of the following situations:

a) Cyclist in right lane, heading straight - gets right hooked by the car.
b) Cyclist in wrong lane? makes lane change in front of car and gets hit
c) Cyclist riding on sidewalk, crosses off ramp and gets hit

Am I missing something or does the story seem like it is missing something. The way it's written doesn't seem like the accident would have happened that way.

But, stranger things have happened.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

2Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Wed May 26, 2010 6:33 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Witness said: He said the cyclist was wearing headphones as she turned off of westbound Portage Avenue, and cut in front of the vehicle.
As she turned off of westbound Portage... This confuses me. So yes, the story is a little short on detail. Since it's breaking news let's see how this fleshes out.

3Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Wed May 26, 2010 11:11 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Witness said: He said the cyclist was wearing headphones as she turned off of westbound Portage Avenue, and cut in front of the vehicle.
As she turned off of westbound Portage... This confuses me. So yes, the story is a little short on detail. Since it's breaking news let's see how this fleshes out.

Yes. If she is westbound portage, how did she cut in front of the car ( placing her on the left of the car)?

4Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 8:57 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Since it doesn't say the direction of travel of the vehicle it's likely the car was travelling eastbound on Portage and making a right turn onto the Route 90 S. onramp, while the cyclist was travelling westbound on Portage and turned left onto the same onramp. That would be my assumption anyways.

Personally, cyclist wearing headphones don't bother me near as much as the variety that weave on and off the sidewalks and especially the type that like to creep up from behind and pass on the curb side when your trying to make a right turn.

5Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 9:12 am

Anonymous

Since it doesn't say the direction of travel of the vehicle it's likely the car was travelling eastbound on Portage and making a right turn onto the Route 90 S. onramp, while the cyclist was travelling westbound on Portage and turned left onto the same onramp. That would be my assumption anyways.

The cyclist would have to cross Portage Avenue to do this.

6Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 9:31 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

And the road has a concrete median making such a left-hand turn more challenging.

7Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 9:52 am

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:Since it doesn't say the direction of travel of the vehicle it's likely the car was travelling eastbound on Portage and making a right turn onto the Route 90 S. onramp, while the cyclist was travelling westbound on Portage and turned left onto the same onramp. That would be my assumption anyways.

Personally, cyclist wearing headphones don't bother me near as much as the variety that weave on and off the sidewalks and especially the type that like to creep up from behind and pass on the curb side when your trying to make a right turn.

According to the description and pictures, the accident happened in the exit ramp from Portage W. to Rte 90 S. , not the exit from Portage E. to Rte 90 S.

8Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 9:55 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Ya, I realise that now after I posted. After watching the video it made it more clear. Looks like the cyclist came up along the curb side and tried to make the same right hand turn into the path of the vehicle.

You know what they say when you assume right? My bad.

9Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 9:59 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I work in the area and the scuttle around here was she was on the sidewalk and just cruised on through the lane when she was hit. Didn't look back to see if there were cars coming and in this case, yes the headphones are a contributing factor because if she would not have been wearing them (or just one in her right ear) she maybe would have heard the vehicular noise around her.
I do hope she makes a quick recovery, but it is actions like this that give cyclists a bad reputation. Once the police investigation is complete and if charges are warranted, she should be charged with something.

10Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 10:25 am

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:Ya, I realise that now after I posted. After watching the video it made it more clear. Looks like the cyclist came up along the curb side and tried to make the same right hand turn into the path of the vehicle.

You know what they say when you assume right? My bad.

But that would put her on the right of the car, not the left.

11Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 10:26 am

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

holly golightly wrote:I work in the area and the scuttle around here was she was on the sidewalk and just cruised on through the lane when she was hit. Didn't look back to see if there were cars coming and in this case, yes the headphones are a contributing factor because if she would not have been wearing them (or just one in her right ear) she maybe would have heard the vehicular noise around her.
I do hope she makes a quick recovery, but it is actions like this that give cyclists a bad reputation. Once the police investigation is complete and if charges are warranted, she should be charged with something.

Looking at the intersection and the pictures, that was kind of what I was thinking happened. It doesn't make sense that if she was making a right turn that she would be on the left of the vehicle.

12Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 10:56 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I wouldn't go by the pictures or video for location.

Bike gets hit and person flies 10' in the air...there's a good chance the bike is flying in some direction or other.

It's possible she got mostly through the intersection and the car caught her rear tire (ie. left side of car) which would throw the bike forward and send the girl flying.

IF she was on the sidewalk...then I personally don't care about her...I feel bad for the driver.

It's possible she was riding on the right side of the road though, and is not required to turn there...so then the car would be at fault...and then I feel for the rider...throw the book at the driver.

EITHER way...both of them are at fault. The rider should be checking their shoulder EVERY time they come to a roadway, intersection, driveway, etc. to look for vehicles entering/exiting them. The driver should be checking for pedestrians, children on bicycles (who may legally be on the sidewalk), etc. prior to making ANY turn to/from a roadway.

Generally...I see the word "Accident" and cringe...as it's very rare for an "accident" to truly occur. In this case...it could be two at fault...and may constitute (because of timing and circumstance) a true accident.

http://www.photage.ca

13Bike Accident Empty Re: Bike Accident Thu May 27, 2010 11:11 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:
EITHER way...both of them are at fault. The rider should be checking their shoulder EVERY time they come to a roadway, intersection, driveway, etc. to look for vehicles entering/exiting them. The driver should be checking for pedestrians, children on bicycles (who may legally be on the sidewalk), etc. prior to making ANY turn to/from a roadway.

Generally...I see the word "Accident" and cringe...as it's very rare for an "accident" to truly occur. In this case...it could be two at fault...and may constitute (because of timing and circumstance) a true accident.

Agreed!

I prefer to use the term "crash" as both parties could have driven defensively and avoided this whole thing. Both parties are at fault (assuming the bike was on the road at the time, not the sidewalk)

Charges for all!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum