the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

" What? No coverage for my accident? " - Car Thief

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

From the " Is this for real? " department.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/breakingnews/manitoba-to-close-door-on-injured-car-thieves-getting-insurance-benefits-118137299.html

I'm glad to see this being re-visited.. but why the heck vote it down in the first place??

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

WINNIPEG - The Manitoba government says it will seek changes to insurance benefits paid to convicted car thieves when the spring legislative session begins in April.

Andrew Swan, the minister responsible for Manitoba Public Insurance, said Wednesday the government will "close that door tightly."

The province introduced legislation in 2004 to crack down on payments made to car thieves.

MPI says the amount of compensation amount is reduced if the injured suspect is eventually convicted.
In the last five years, MPI said it paid eight convicted car thieves more than $41,000.

Colin Craig of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation says that sends a "horrible" message to taxpayers.
"Hard-working people that are abiding by the law are having to pay for these idiots that are stealing our cars," Craig said.

Tory Leader Hugh McFadyen says it introduced a private member's bill in 2008 to end payments made to convicted car thieves, but the government voted against it.

(CTV Winnipeg)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Of course the ndp voted it down. Playing politics is what the elected do. Especially the bleeding hearts. Pure bullsh1t.

Where oh where is the Manitoba Party?

Anonymous

Soooo...the bloody Nippers voted down a bill that would stop payments to car thieves eh.....

Remember that next October everyone.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Hard to believe that these provisions existed in the first place. I guess the NDP can add this plank as part of their "tough on crime" measures.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

People should stop paying for MPIC coverage until this wrong is righted. This wrong even has built in incentives for these pukes - another source of income. I wonder how many staged accidents we're paying for. I read last year that the rationale was that the system somwehre had to cover these injury associaiated costs so it might as well be MPIC. We need to kill MPIC. That will not just make for a truer market but it will then allow for other realities to be properly dealt with. The PC's should make a commercial out of this issue - the NDP supporting paying thieves. Who are the thieves - should be the theme.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What annoyed me so was the cavalier attitude the MPI spokesman displayed when trotting out his "we cover everyone" mantra.

He went on to say that everyone gets paid until they've been convicted. Only after they've been convicted do they "reduce" the payments, yet they continue.

If a thief dies during his joyride he gets paid full benefits. Period. "After all we can't convict a dead man!"

The people in charge of the asylum need a wake up call.

Anonymous

Anybody know how long this has been going on and how much has been paid out to these punks?

MPI says they collect a load of cash each year, but is it from these people or from other overpayments, etc.?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The reports I've heard/read said about $41k was paid out (I assume last year?) to these punk bozos. The cash collected was also from similar punk/bozos that MPI sues to recoup some of their expenses. I recall that number as very significant. Six figures I believe.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The $41K probably refers to the ones that were actually convicted. What about minors?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum