the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

We don't need no stinkin' development in Winnipeg...

+7
EdWin
jimj_wpg
Electrician
rosencrentz
AGEsAces
Deank
grumpy old man
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Goth_chic

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

EdWin wrote:
Electrician wrote:1950's and 1960's was immigrant boom and baby boom. Now it's just crime boom...

Absolutely correct. Canadian cities are really experiencing increases in crime.

Especially Calgary....already a few murders in 2009! They've beaten Winnipeg.

Anonymous

Funny we title development and we talk murder, wonder if they go hand and hand .

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

weird if you look up where Whellams Lane is on google maps you will notice that they already have some high rise apartments on the river... that more then likely already ruin the residents privacy.. seems like pointless NIMBYism to me..

Anonymous

Those ones were fought when started If memory serves me right , it is always easy when your not directly involved .
You must work for the city as I swear that is how they sometimes do their research for a permit . If I had no sun and people looking in my back yard while I was out . I would be pissed too. The freeway is bad enough, they put up with that noise.

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:
JTF wrote:I know where he got the number from....thin air.
WTF? Why not simply ask before making such an asinine comment?

Yet you feel free to suggest numbers about roads and schools and community clubs. No ignorant comment was made when challenging you. Sometimes J2F you can be an ass.
Sorry. You got those numbers from another place...a part of your anatomy we will not speak of. Very Happy

I lived here during the 50's and counted more than 250K people.

If you want to get picky and seperate Winnipeg from Greater Winnipeg or the Capitol Region, I'll go along with the argument if you've got some numbers to back it up. 🤺

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Hey...in the 50s...weren't the outskirt areas all their own cities?

Ie. Transcona, Kildonan, etc.?

They all had their own mayors and political structures, so weren't considered part of "Winnipeg" then?

Quite possibly you are all arguing, without presenting all the facts?

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

My point is that "Winnipeg" hasn't grown much...hasn't grown very fast thus far..(and won't change much in the future).

Anonymous

Yes we will grow but not fast enough to support all of the dreams this city has .

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:My point is that "Winnipeg" hasn't grown much...hasn't grown very fast thus far..(and won't change much in the future).

Maybe, maybe not. None of us are fortune tellers. All I know is that I'm tired of being pessimistic. Aren't you?

Anonymous

True enough, but one has to remain realistic or we'll screw ourselves badly...leaving our children a massive debt and lottsa' trouble.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:True enough, but one has to remain realistic or we'll screw ourselves badly...leaving our children a massive debt and lottsa' trouble.

Winnipeg is already in that state because we didn't invest properly for our future in the first place. And now look where we are at; we've lost significant national importance and have dropped from 3 largest city in Canada to almost 10th. I find this unacceptable, and to all those who say "meh, whatever" or "it can't be done" I'd love to give them a good swift kick to the junk and tell them to wake up. City council over the last 40 years has brainwashed Winnipeggers into believing that Winnipeg can't achieve; what a bunch of bullshit! Winnipeg deserves much better than it has. And besides, it takes $$$$ to make a better city; it doesn't come for free or at bargain bin prices.

I really do have high exceptation for this city, and refuse to listen to the older generation tell me otherwise sunny

Anonymous

Heh so do I but you have to be realistic , people are not breaking down the doors to live here . This is a have not province wealth wise and we are after all our own worst enemy .

Anonymous

^
Good for you.

Keep dreaming...but keep at least one foot on the ground. Very Happy

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Heh so do I but you have to be realistic , people are not breaking down the doors to live here . This is a have not province wealth wise and we are after all our own worst enemy .

Sigh, so you think it will always stay this way?

Anonymous

Eventually. we'll grow into our size.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:^
Good for you.

Keep dreaming...but keep at least one foot on the ground. Very Happy

Why not? Other cities are "dreaming" by improving their cities with better infrastructure, investment in PRIVATE business, rapid transit other than poormans BRT, etc.

They are spending $$$ to make better cities. Winnipeg needs to step up aswell. Complacency gets you no where fast. You know about investments don't you? You need to take a risk and put big bucks down, but the return is well worth the risk.

Anonymous

We can't afford our present infrastructure. Building more makes no sense to me.

Anonymous

Hell no it has improved but as jtf is saying we will have to do it slowly unless you know how to bring more high paying jobs here . For they are the catalyst for change , money . We do not have enough of them probaly never will due to downsizing and free trade and lots of reasons .
Their is not the warehouses or the branch offices there, once was here .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Lets do something to bring 100,000 medium and high level paying jobs to Winnipeg. That will bring with it about 400K people. Which in turn will bring in about another 50K low and medium level paid jobs.

okay... so besides building apartments which we all know brings in tons of high paying jobs that last forever.... cyclops

What industry can we bring here?
We are in the Heart of the continent that sits us very nicely for distribution of a finished product to the rest of north america...and quite well for bringing in whatever resources we need to make that finished product.

So whats it going to be?

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:.leaving our children a massive debt and lottsa' trouble.

But we also need to put some confidence in our future generation by showing them that investment leads to self-improvement, and we want to teach our kids to have an attitude of being the best you can be, right? If we don't that would be setting a bad example.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I agree. So stop the sprawl. Or at the very least make the developers fully responsible for new infrastructure in new developments (ie Waverly West).

Start building in existing areas where new roads and sewers and water mains... are not required. You know like that development of Chief Pequis...

Anonymous

Well others lured high tech we went after hog barns .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:okay... so besides building apartments which we all know brings in tons of high paying jobs that last forever.... cyclops
Just outta curiosity who claims that building apartments brings a legacy of jobs? Seems like an odd comment.

People should be smart enough to know that no one factor alone attracts new peeps to move to a city. But housing sure is a very important element. We have less than a 1% vacancy rate. That is problematic.

Anonymous

No rent controls are .

Anonymous

The biggest impediment to our development has been too many years of NDP policies . in the last 40 . It is time to take care of the province not the underprivileged , or the lazy.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:
Deank wrote:okay... so besides building apartments which we all know brings in tons of high paying jobs that last forever.... cyclops
Just outta curiosity who claims that building apartments brings a legacy of jobs? Seems like an odd comment.

People should be smart enough to know that no one factor alone attracts new peeps to move to a city. But housing sure is a very important element. We have less than a 1% vacancy rate. That is problematic.
the thread started out about not building apartments/condos.... and seriously they are not a drive to increasing your population. You could have a million open apartments in Winnipeg and unless you have the jobs the apartments are useless.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum