the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

We don't need no stinkin' development in Winnipeg...

+7
EdWin
jimj_wpg
Electrician
rosencrentz
AGEsAces
Deank
grumpy old man
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:
Deank wrote:okay... so besides building apartments which we all know brings in tons of high paying jobs that last forever.... cyclops
Just outta curiosity who claims that building apartments brings a legacy of jobs? Seems like an odd comment.

People should be smart enough to know that no one factor alone attracts new peeps to move to a city. But housing sure is a very important element. We have less than a 1% vacancy rate. That is problematic.
the thread started out about not building apartments/condos.... and seriously they are not a drive to increasing your population. You could have a million open apartments in Winnipeg and unless you have the jobs the apartments are useless.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

When I was contemplating a transfer to Toronto in 1990 they had less than a one percent vacancy rate (about what Winnipeg has now). After a week of looking for a reasonably priced apartment in a reasonable location I about gave up and declined the transfer.

That dynamic is in play now in Winnipeg. If we are to attract people one element will be housing. I'd not be so quick to dismiss this as a serious factor.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

serious factor? sure...
reason to override the wants and requirements of a community?
not bloody likely. We need to build apartments and condos where they are already allowed. Not steamroll existing people.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

fill in the holes in the north end first.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Anonymous

GOM, moving to Toronto, most people cannot afford to buy a house, whereas in the 'Peg, they could....and we've got no shortage of cheap affordable housing here, that's for sure.

But we do have a problem with new rental units...can you say 'rent controls'? Smile

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Does the cheap affordable housing include cheap affordable property tax?
I'm against building bunches of apartment blocks. I'd rather see them built randomly, like in the Maples for example.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

If we ever get efficient rapid transit you'll begin to see clusters of higher density construction around the stations.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no we dont have a problem with new rental units.

If I were building a brand new building that I wanted to rent units out of . I would make a 25 year business plan. Determine potential rising costs and current allowed yearly increases. do the math and determine what I need to charge. AND THEN..when we have a year where my costs triple for some reason.. I would simply apply for a better percentage.
I might even do that thing where the rent is 1200... But I am giving you a $200 discount and then use the $200 difference when I need to.
now where have I heard that proposal before?????

Anonymous

Yes but most investors don't want to waste time with BS they want their payback . Rent controls are due for a serious long hard look . Funny how goverment will control rents but not completly the intrest rates banks charge on credit cards .

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am excited at the prospect of LRT....:-)

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Now, get excited in moving into a Pembina Highway area bungalow at only $450,000 in able to ride on the prospected LRT... Shocked

Anonymous

This is a whole waste of money in my opinion , but each there own . So only halve the city will use it not even halve, one area only and we know how long this took to make .
Wonder if my Great Grandchild will see it out to this end of town some how I doubt it .

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Edwin- on Jan 13/09 you commented that rosencrentz just came on and you were wondering what crazy comment he was going to make?
Well you had to wait 60 days!

Dirty Rotten Commie!!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

Ikea and Lrt boy theres progress by 2020 we should have both maybe , we have been waiting from 1950 for the one .

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

This guy is gonna build the new BRT overpass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhe2Wbh5vrQ

116We don't need no stinkin' development in Winnipeg... - Page 5 Empty Towers foes appeal approval Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:42 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Here we go again...

A Vancouver developer's quest to add new towers to a North Kildonan apartment complex now faces one more hurdle at city hall.

A small army of expansion opponents -- 194 people, to be precise -- have appealed a July council decision to allow the construction of two new apartment buildings at Edgewood Estates, an apartment complex on Whellams Lane, just south of Chief Peguis Trail.

Vancouver's Devonshire Properties, which owns the existing two towers, has been trying to add more than 300 units to the complex since late 2007.

In 2008, a plan initially approved by council's property and development committee was withdrawn in the face of community and council opposition. But a revised plan that would see the new buildings rise closer to Chief Peguis Trail was approved by a 15-1 margin at the final council meeting before the summer break.

Only Elmwood-East Kildonan Coun. Lillian Thomas voted against the new towers, on the grounds their shadows could somehow lead to slippery wintery conditions on Chief Peguis Trail.

Now, nearly 200 North Kildonan residents have launched a last-ditch effort to quash the expansion at a Sept. 11 appeal hearing at city hall.

Read story here.

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"on the grounds their shadows could somehow lead to slippery wintery conditions on Chief Peguis Trail"

????????????
wow

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I hope the city does not bend to these folks. Developers will stay away in droves. We need new developers from all over to bring new and fresh and innovative ideas to property development.

Anonymous

Perhaps these carpetbaggers should be discouraged from coming to this town and "developing".

Again, it appears that there are some that will get into bed with anyone with a few bucks...will bend over to "accomodate".

All development isn't good but some fail to see this and will only be interested in expanding the tax base, over the wishes of the residents.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"All development isn't good but some fail to see this and will only be interested in expanding the tax base, over the wishes of the residents."

Yup.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Carpetbaggers? You know something about this company?

Anonymous

....just connecting the dots GOM....this isn't the first time an out-of-town group has come to play here with this type of attitude....that being to maximize their numbers at the detriment of the locals.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:"on the grounds their shadows could somehow lead to slippery wintery conditions on Chief Peguis Trail"

????????????
wow

Consider the source.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum