the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is?

+9
EdWin
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
JT Estoban
umcrouc0
eastsider
LivingDead
FlyingRat
Deank
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

what will this month hold for a new stadium?

Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Vote_lcap7%Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 7% [ 1 ]
Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Vote_lcap60%Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 60% [ 9 ]
Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Vote_lcap33%Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 33% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah that was the intention of the "freebies" that they would only be good on certain days at certain times.

However one of the problems, when its free... people dont care and tend to do more damage, especially depending on how its controlled. would everyone getting a freebie be an asshat? No, of course not. But all it will take is one to totally frick this up.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I think the Issue is, I would rather sell tickets at $15.00 than to give away tickets for $5.00. That is the main problem with our city and our government. They are in the business of giving away more than they make.

100% of business would fail if they sold items for less than the cost to make them.

If you have the time, read this little story about the EARTH plus 5. make sure to scroll past the copyright notice. the story also has a voice track so if you are blind you can hear the story.

The Earth Plus 5

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

That's fine if they want to charge whatever they want. What the government is saying is if they want to be given millions of dollars, they need to give something in return. They aren't going to give him that much money for no reason. It's one thing to talk about government not doing things efficiently. But when someone's asking for a handout I don't have a problem with them putting restrictions on it. 100% of businesses fail that give away money and get nothing in return as well.

Dean, I see what you're saying about damage. If people get stuff for free they tend not to care as much about it.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

umcrouc0 wrote:That's fine if they want to charge whatever they want. What the government is saying is if they want to be given millions of dollars, they need to give something in return. They aren't going to give him that much money for no reason. It's one thing to talk about government not doing things efficiently. But when someone's asking for a handout I don't have a problem with them putting restrictions on it. 100% of businesses fail that give away money and get nothing in return as well.

Dean, I see what you're saying about damage. If people get stuff for free they tend not to care as much about it.

The thing is, Leo did not require the 7 mil the city was putting up. I'm going out on a limb here, I think inorder to get the permits needed to build, leo was asked to take the 7 mil so that the city would have some pull when it came to issuing cheap rates for the underprivileged.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nah he "bid" and won the contract... over 2 or was it 3? competing bids from asper.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

The new development planned for the current stadium site at Polo Park:

http://www.theelms.ca/index.php?opti...&id=8&Itemid=1

Anonymous

Seems that Asker is really good at providing the glitter, also called the sizzle, and pretty short on the meat of the deal.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

EdWin wrote:The new development planned for the current stadium site at Polo Park:

http://www.theelms.ca/index.php?opti...&id=8&Itemid=1

Ba hahahaha

Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Moz-screenshotIts now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Moz-screenshot-1
Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Affluence_abounds_title
JUST MINUTES FROM THE ELMS is Winnipeg's southwest quadrant -- the
fastest growing part of our city and home to some of our most affluent.
With two major residential developments and construction of 15,000
new homes on the near horizon, significant growth in this area is
expected to continue well into the coming decade.

• Affluent neighbourhoods just minutes south
  • Here, household incomes range from $80,000 to $115,000
  • 39% hold bachelor degrees
  • Just over 1 million reside within a 4 hour drive
  • Untapped regional trade area is 2.3 million strong

Not if Kapyon becomes a new North End. LMAO

IMHO, And this is just me speaking, I'd rather shop in a heated indoor mall than a outdoor mall with limited parking. Winnipeg gets frigging cold. I avoid the outdoor mall near linden woods in the winter, in the summer it is ok, but winter forget about it. I dont think i'm alone in this one.

One more thing, just last year everyone was on the rampage to become green and pollute less. This will only encourage more people to leave their cars locked and running in the winter as they drive from store to store. Not very eco-friendly in the winter.

Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Right_picture_site_plan_big

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I like this development and support it. Winnipeg needs more upscale retail, not Dollaramas, Money Marts, Bargain Bins and Giant Tigres spreading across the city. I just wish Portage Place would follow suite in the choice of retailers they house.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I thought there was supposed to be a shopping experience not ever experienced anywhere near Winnipeg before?? Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 4 Icon_scratch

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

EdWin wrote:I like this development and support it. Winnipeg needs more upscale retail, not Dollaramas, Money Marts, Bargain Bins and Giant Tigres spreading across the city. I just wish Portage Place would follow suite in the choice of retailers they house.

I find it hypocritical that everyone and their dog is all in favor of being green, saving the environment. But that all can be put on hold because another outdoor mall is more important especially one filled with Upscale retail.

Why cant they put Upscale retail in the vacant spaces at Portage Place? Or in the new Ikea Development? Maybe they could make this development a multi-level indoor mall and attach it to Polo Park, have a Water park at the junction of the 2 malls. That way people can shop in comfort in the winter, kids can play in the water park while mom and dad shop. and old people can shop in Air conditioning on those nasty Hot and Humid days in the summer. That would end the crazyness that would be the parking lot on that layout I posted above.

Some times I dont get some of my fellow Winnipeggers. They b1tch and complain about how cold it is in the winter, then they complain in the summer about how hot it is. Then they are willing to pay a carbon tax, and when it comes to being green winnipeggers refuse to "walk the walk".

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I highly doubt an upscale mall like this will fly, look at all the upscale stores that have left us because the business just wasn't there. Whether we like it or not we have the reputation as being a bargain city(nothing wrong with that) and for the most part thats true.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I think you are wrong. I think times are changing, the city is growing, salaries are growing, and people are going to want to treat themselves to some of the better things in life. This will give Winnipeggers an opportunity to do just that. The younger generations aren't as "cheap" as the older generations, and are willing to spend money. Again, I am glad Winnipeg is seeing this development and have confidence that it will fly. I'll take this over Dollarama and Giant Tiger any day. I just hope the NIMBY's don't ruin this opportunity for the city. It would be nice to see some residential components to this proposal as well.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

EdWin wrote:I think you are wrong. I think times are changing, the city is growing, salaries are growing, and people are going to want to treat themselves to some of the better things in life. This will give Winnipeggers an opportunity to do just that. The younger generations aren't as "cheap" as the older generations, and are willing to spend money. Again, I am glad Winnipeg is seeing this development and have confidence that it will fly. I'll take this over Dollarama and Giant Tiger any day. I just hope the NIMBY's don't ruin this opportunity for the city. It would be nice to see some residential components to this proposal as well.

Willing to spend money they have yet to make. Today's generation is more inclined to spend what they dont have and then end up going bankrupt.

I'm no Nimby, I just think the development is wrong for the area and for Winnipeg. We dont have a temperate climate. OutDoor malls are ok for warmer climates. This is not Florida, It is winnipeg. -40c to +35c crazy isnt it.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't think NIMBY will play a role in this development.

I am concerned about traffic density. Someone has to take the bull by the horns here and do something about traffic flow. Maybe make St. James Street one way? Maybe block off many of the exits and entrances to the seemingly hundreds of strip malls and stores...

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

LivingDead wrote:
EdWin wrote:I think you are wrong. I think times are changing, the city is growing, salaries are growing, and people are going to want to treat themselves to some of the better things in life. This will give Winnipeggers an opportunity to do just that. The younger generations aren't as "cheap" as the older generations, and are willing to spend money. Again, I am glad Winnipeg is seeing this development and have confidence that it will fly. I'll take this over Dollarama and Giant Tiger any day. I just hope the NIMBY's don't ruin this opportunity for the city. It would be nice to see some residential components to this proposal as well.

Willing to spend money they have yet to make. Today's generation is more inclined to spend what they dont have and then end up going bankrupt.

I'm no Nimby, I just think the development is wrong for the area and for Winnipeg. We dont have a temperate climate. OutDoor malls are ok for warmer climates. This is not Florida, It is winnipeg. -40c to +35c crazy isnt it.

Many of my friends back home have very decent salaries. They are buying bigger homes and fancier cars than their parents had. Winnipeg is changing, peoples lifestyles are changing. People have more money to spend, for the most part. This is a good thing. Hopefully this is indicative of Winnipeg shedding it's "cheapskate" image. People can be wise with their money, but you can also enjoy life once in a while too and not have to feel guilty about it.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

EdWin, most of my friends make decent livings but they still live beyond their means. They have the big fancy homes, 2 brand new cars, take winter vacations and have 2 kids to support. I can do math and I know they are trying to keep up with the Jones'.

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Thats exactly right Goth.Why pretend to be something you're not? Some people might look at the blue collar crowd like me with disdain and disgust but theres nothing wrong with it at all, its blue collars that built this city(railroad) and made it what it is!

In my opinion we have a "upscale" mall in Fort Garry Place, go there some time and see how little traffic there is.

Anonymous

2or3 upscale shops have failed here so what the hell is Asper thinking should have given Leo the chance at least we probably would have shovels in the ground .

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

[quote="Goth_chic"]EdWin, most of my friends make decent livings but they still live beyond their means. They have the big fancy homes, 2 brand new cars, take winter vacations and have 2 kids to support. I can do math and I know they are trying to keep up with the Jones'.[/quote

I would say it's about a 50/50 split. Things are changing for the better, and I see it with my own family and friends. No, not everyone makes the same wages, but there are more and more people who can afford to splurge without digging themselves into financial ruin. Only time will tell, but I think this will work out nicely and to so many peoples surprises.

Anonymous

This quote really broke me up...

"The idea is to create basically a little village, where you can walk around in a high degree of safety -- light and open -- and the walkways are all going to be covered. They've got heaters in them -- so no snow or ice. And easy parking -- valet if you want to use it. There will be a centre court with programming."

Ahhhh...that's what they call a mall dumbass!!

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipeg/2009/10/02/11245956-sun.html

So. He's been at this for a year and he's only lined up....nobody!!

WTF is going on with the board...somebody getting paid off I wonder.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I heard kneepads at the local Home Depot are usually in very short supply.

egomaniac

egomaniac

LivingDead wrote:I'm still of the opinion that while it would be nice to have a new stadium, we do not need one. A new stadium will not make the bombers any better nor will it make Winnipeg a better place to live. All it will do is make money for D.Asper and friends and will give him control of the football club too.

How about we pay down our Provincial Debt first so my farging grand children don't become slaves to CHINA in order to make payments on the interest of today's debt.

Please and thank you.
(wow ... feeling mouthy today!)
The problem with having a debt is not that easily solved. When a new government gets into office, they are often left with a pile of problems from governments past. Usually a debt, usually poor policy decisions that people would rather see disappear or be changed.
Now.. a government has to deal with all of that, PLUS move forward. If the government cannot make a city better in office, they likely will not be reelected. So what happens is they take on more debt -- to build a stadium when people want one. They say "Look at what we've given you -- relect us again".
Now #2 ... you can complain and say governments should not be pandering to public opinions and just do "whats right for the people they're governing". BUT... when you have past decisions made for you, you will have to deal with the needs of the present. The needs of the present dictate that we must pay for things at today's rate. Today's rate is always more expensive than yesterday's rate.
so..balancing the past and the present becomes more difficult than you think.
politics -- a game of russian roulete for everybody that tinkers with it.

http://www.chrisgauthier.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

who said any significant amount of people actually want a new stadium?

egomaniac

egomaniac

Deank wrote:who said any significant amount of people actually want a new stadium?
well, i was assuming that if the decision was made there was support for that decision?
naive on my part, maybe?

http://www.chrisgauthier.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I would say so.

Ask 35000 bomber fans when they exit the stadium after a win and you will probably get close to 35000 yeses. But that is not exactly a scientific study.
Push that poll to a more scientific stufy of all of Winnipeg.

I doubt the support would be more then 5-10%

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum