the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is?

+9
EdWin
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
JT Estoban
umcrouc0
eastsider
LivingDead
FlyingRat
Deank
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

what will this month hold for a new stadium?

Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 3 Vote_lcap7%Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 7% [ 1 ]
Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 3 Vote_lcap60%Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 60% [ 9 ]
Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 3 Vote_lcap33%Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 33% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

JT Estoban

major-contributor
major-contributor

The only issue I think anyone would have with Age's plan, would be Canadins @ polo....then again, with his new water park at that location, Leo might have the leg up.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

which new water park would that be?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That water park was canceled.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 3 Finalakeimage3_small

Bombers should keep team: Ledohowski

The Blue Bombers should remain in community hands, says the man who today offered to build the team a $265-million stadium.

Leo Ledohowski, president and CEO of Canad Inns, the largest private hotel chain in Manitoba, says keeping the team public fits Manitoba.

"(That value) is ingrained in Manitoba's social mores," Ledohowski tells winnipegFIRST.ca

That position puts the businessman at polar opposites to CanWest Global vice-president and Winnipegger David Asper, whose proposal offers a new facility in exchange for ownership of the team.

Asper says he will build a $145-million, partly enclosed
stadium/retail complex on the site of the present Canad Inns Stadium if
the board agrees to let him take over the club.

That issue could decide which proposal is accepted by the club's board of directors.

Says Ledohowski: "I will make no comparisons with Mr. Asper."

But board members will, and the latest proposal will also be scrutinized by True North, which owns and operates the MTS Centre.

The downtown sports and concert facility has an agreement with the
province that no public money will help fund a hockey and concert
competitor.

Ledohowski is counting on $40 million each from the provincial and
federal governments, and $29 million in tax breaks from the city.

Scott Brown, who speaks for True North, says the MTS Centre has a
monopoly on concerts seating 15,000 to 18,000 spectators. At least from
competitors who get public funds.

Brown was confident True North would be consulted by the province
"long before the government" cut a cheque if Ledohowski's proposal is
accepted.

He doubted whether it would be worth the new Canad Inn stadium's
while, which will hold between 30,000 and 45,000 people, to host
smaller concerts.

"The stadium is not being built to compete with the MTS Centre," he
says, adding: "We would work with the parties before it got to that."

Brown says True North officials have known about Ledohowski's proposal for some time.

Here is a more in detail accounting of Ledohowski's proposal
Whole new stadium game

Anyhow, how is it that the original proposal of Asper's was allowed to morph many times to accommodate him and yet Leo was afforded no such luxury? Why is nobody asking these questions? Is the Golden carrot hanging in front of everyone blinding them?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I already told you.. its because the board made a deal with asper where anything he pulls out of his ass they will smell and say its smells like roses.

Cant be much else of an explanation.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Can you be more graphic Deank? Smile

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I can...but it's DNSFW

MAJOR SHOULDER CHECK

http://www.photage.ca

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:which new water park would that be?

The one slated for the Canad-Polo Park hotel....or has Leo backed out of it?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh yeah.. like 6 months ago.

Which I suspect is what Asper is all bragging about his new retail development will probably get teh 7 million from the city and he will develop a water park in the retail.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Maybe I mixed something up, but i thought that the one @ polo was going to be private, much like the current pool/waterside in the hotel now.

I remember that Leo had an agreement with the city to build one, city committed 6 mill then he backed out but I
thought that was downtown, and separate from his own that he was
building attached to the polo hotel?

Am I getting old, or is it just a memory leak?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

getting old

Leo's one at polo park was the one he was building and going to include the cities 7 million worth of upgrades.

About 3 weeks after it was announced that Leo won the bid.. The city, asper and the province announced.. Hey guess what everyone, As part of the new stadium we are building in point douglas.. we are going to build a fricken awesome indoors covered waterpark, like completely freaking awesome..

Now if you were Leo and you WON the contract for the city's 7 million, then they turned around and pulled that sh1t on you... effectively seeing you build a water park that would not nearly be as successful as it should be, what would you think?

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I just thought there was still a Canadinn water park being built....and thought Leo was building two, one downtown and one at Polo. My bad. There's been a lot of B.S. going on as of late with Asker's stalling stadium idea...next up, the cry for more money due to delays and increasing construction costs, blah, blah, blah - billionair bailout.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

umm...one downtown.. was that just adding to the radison that he recently purchased?

polo park.. no idea if that is still on or not, I would suspect that perhaps money will be redirected to building a brand spankin new hotel with kick ass waterpark over near where the IKEA will be going in. But that is just speculation.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

It would seem to me that when ever Leo offers to buy or build something, he ends up getting the shaft. Another reason for no building the water park with city money is maybe he didn't want City hall dictating to him what to charge to use the park.

I say let Asper build a waterpark attached to his sister's edifice and let Leo build a domed stadium/hotel complex

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

LivingDead wrote:I say let Asper build a waterpark attached to his sister's edifice and let Leo build a domed stadium/hotel complex

Agreed!

And the Asker water park attached to the CMHR (whatever it's called) edifice, would come complete with a water slide directly into the Red for triple the price!
Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 3 970993

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

He can charge whatever he wants if he pays for it himself.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

he can charge whatever he wants even with the city money.

All the city money did was make sure that he gave back X dollars worth of entry to the city for "community/low income" use every year in perpetuity.

kind of an exceedingly bad deal for the person building the waterpark if you ask me,

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Depends on how you look at it. If you set the price as whatever you want, then give the city a bunch of vouchers for admission to people who wouldn't normally be able to afford to go, you aren't actually losing any money by doing so. Either they don't pay by just not being able to afford it, or the get vouchers, then maybe spend a little money there on concessions, etc. Or maybe a family of 4 can afford to go if they have two vouchers so you're still getting two admissions you wouldn't be getter without the vouchers, plus anything they spend on consession. The only way it would cause them to lose any money would be if they either gave vouchers to people who would normally just pay to go, or if they would give out so many vouchers that they need to build a larger capacity facility or the additional operating and upkeep costs go up a lot because of the extra usage. If you do it smart I think it could be a great way to make extra money but it depends on how much money per year it actually is I guess.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

if capacity is 500 people and 100 of those are in Free. You lose 100 paying customers. Plus of course the fact is that some people would NOT go to the water park simply because of whom gets to go for free.

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Would the place ever actually hit capacity because of the amount of people getting in for free at the same time? Guess it's possible. And if people don't want to go to a waterpark because of who gets in for free, would they also not go if the same people saved up and went once a year instead of getting a voucher once a year? Do people actually do stuff like that?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Do people actually do stuff like that?"

people do alot of dumbass stuff like that

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Crazy.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

as too capacity..

yeah apparently the one down in Grand Forks comes as close to capacity as you ever want it to be and still have fun, quite a bit of the time...

but doubtful it comes to this kind of capacity

Its now september... do you know where your new stadium is? - Page 3 Tokyo-summerland-packed-wave-pool

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Man, that would suck.

If capacity's a potential issue then the vouchers could have an impact on profits of the place. I guess the tricky thing about making a place like that is that it could be really busy a couple days a week so you need to build it big enough to deal with that, but could then be pretty empty a lot of the time. I haven't been to a waterpark in years but imagine it could be pretty packed on weekends. If you could make the vouchers only good on certain days it might spread the usage around a bit but then you might end up having the place busy some nights but with no one spending any money.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

that's why most vouchers to most places are only good on Tue-Thur...typically slower days of the week.

and why places like movie theaters run specials on Tue & Thur nights.

That said...having been to dozens of water parks...it's more than just the day of the week...it's also the weather.

In Manitoba, unless it's an indoor park, AND unless there's other "attractions" around it...odds are good it will be basically empty except in the summer months when the temps are above 25C and people actually think about getting in the water.

When it's -30C out...fewer people drag themselves to the indoor pools (except for scheduled competition or classes) because they don't want the hassle, or the psychological impact, of jumping in a pool when it's freezing out.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah that was the intention of the "freebies" that they would only be good on certain days at certain times.

However one of the problems, when its free... people dont care and tend to do more damage, especially depending on how its controlled. would everyone getting a freebie be an asshat? No, of course not. But all it will take is one to totally frick this up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum