the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should the Province, City subsidize the Jets?

+8
Stonekiller
sputnik
Deank
grumpy old man
EdWin
Outsider
rosencrentz
Triniman
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should the Province and City subsidize True North Sports & Entertainment?

Should the Province, City subsidize the Jets? Vote_lcap50%Should the Province, City subsidize the Jets? Vote_rcap 50% [ 3 ]
Should the Province, City subsidize the Jets? Vote_lcap33%Should the Province, City subsidize the Jets? Vote_rcap 33% [ 2 ]
Should the Province, City subsidize the Jets? Vote_lcap17%Should the Province, City subsidize the Jets? Vote_rcap 17% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Millions to aid True North
Province, city chip in $6.9M

"
WINNIPEGGERS aren't just cheering for the Jets, they're also
funnelling $6.9 million to True North Sports & Entertainment this
year through city and provincial subsidies for pro sports teams.

And public support for the NHL club will climb to almost $11 million a
year, once the province completes the transfer of 90 VLTs to the
vicinity of the MTS Centre."

"Given True North's demonstrated success, it's not clear why two
levels of government are supporting the business, said Colin Craig of
the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

"I support the Winnipeg Jets, but you have a very, very profitable
company. It's legitimate to ask why the taxpayer has to give the Jets
special tax breaks," Craig said.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I get 4 cheques from the government for being old, and I immediately send 1 in to the Jets to make sure they stay profitable and stay in Winnipeg.

We suffered for 16 years not being a "world class" City, and had to depend on the CMHR building to return that designation to the City!

The Jets give us double world class designation!

http://www.elansofas.com

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Hard to believe the Jets would not be profitable without the taxpayer assistance.
It seems every store I go into has jumped on the Jets bandwagon to sell merchandise.
And the arena is sold out for at least 3 years.
Heck I do not know if it is true or not. But I heard there is even a Timmies franchise in the MTS centre which is owned by the Jets.
And every Timmies I have ever been in is like a licence to print money.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Wow. A story trying to evoke the emotions of the anti-NHL crowd. Surprise surprise.

Yup, biggest mistake was to bring back an international pro sport franchise to Winnipeg because now we can't get more potholes filled.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

EdWin wrote:Wow. A story trying to evoke the emotions of the anti-NHL crowd. Surprise surprise.

Yup, biggest mistake was to bring back an international pro sport franchise to Winnipeg because now we can't get more potholes filled.

The Free Press needs to sell papers, I figure, hence the anti-NHL fan article. It will never happen, but I wish we had a better newspaper in town.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I've always maintained that an NHL team, a very well run NHL team, would at best break even in Winnipeg over the course of a season. And that they could only turn a profit when they get into the play-off's.

TNSE though is different. They have a big-picture dynamic going that helps TNSE be very profitable. The arena.

Every event subsidises the arena. That subsidy allows the Jets the luxury of maximizing profits. It also would be most lucrative to the owners.

That said, should municipal, provincial and federal politicians have caved into a request for help? Probably not. But who would have had nads large enough to say no when their no might be the no that prevented the return of tje Jets?

And which sane business person would not ask for help?

Now it is up to the hypocrites in the world to justify why one venue is taxpayer worthy and one is not...

Last edited by grumpy old man on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Triniman wrote:Millions to aid True North
Province, city chip in $6.9M

"
WINNIPEGGERS aren't just cheering for the Jets, they're also
funnelling $6.9 million to True North Sports & Entertainment this
year through city and provincial subsidies for pro sports teams.

And public support for the NHL club will climb to almost $11 million a
year, once the province completes the transfer of 90 VLTs to the
vicinity of the MTS Centre."

"Given True North's demonstrated success, it's not clear why two
levels of government are supporting the business, said Colin Craig of
the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

"I support the Winnipeg Jets, but you have a very, very profitable
company. It's legitimate to ask why the taxpayer has to give the Jets
special tax breaks," Craig said.

Congratulations on answering Rosens challenge about getting some action this discussion board on the weekend. Smile

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:I've always maintained that an NHL team, a very well run NHL team, would at best break even in Winnipeg over the course of a season. And that they could only turn a profit when they get into the play-off's.

TNSE though is different. They have a big-picture dynamic going that helps TNSE be very profitable. The arena.

Every event subsidises the arena. That subsidy allows the Jets the luxury of maximizing profits. It also would be most lucrative to the owners.

That said, should municipal, provincial and federal politicians have caved into a request for help? Probably not. But who would have had nads large enough to say no when their no might be the no that prevented the return of yje Jets?

And which sane business person would not ask for help?

Now it is up to the hypocrites in the world to justify why one venue is taxpayer worthy and one is not...

You mean like 7-11 which saves me the trouble to go to Sobeys when I run out of milk? Smile

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Chipman should explain things, rather than have people speculate.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:Chipman should explain things, rather than have people speculate.

I say that we don't bother wasting time with that. Chipman is a LYING SOB!!! He is stealing hard-earned money and putting it towards something that will show little benefit for the community. How DARE he be so selfish??? He doesn't care about Winnipeg, he only cares about lining his pockets and nothing more!!!! Grrr.

This whole thing is a SHAM!! This team, these tax back-room deals, the supposed SHED development; SHAM!!! None of it will ever make a difference to the city in a positive way! You want to talk about crime downtown, well this bilking of the Manitoba tax payers is the BIGGEST crime of all!!! I want this scum-sucking tax scam-artist team gone soon! That money can then be redirected to important things like more Manitoba Housing downtown, going straight into indians pockets because, you know, we DID steal THEIR land afterall, filling up potholes, more police to fight crime because THAT will do the trick yessssssirrrrrrr!

Again, the Jets and Chipman are bag eggs in a piss-poor town. Nobody will support this team come two years from now and then they will be gone again!!!! Let's just get rid of them NOW and save the city more embarrassment!!!!

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

If things were explained, I can see tax payers wanting to subsidize the team to a greater extent than they are now. Especially if they make the playoffs!

Fortunately, there are enough pragmatic thinkers who understand that investing in the Jets is a smart move.

Go Jets!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I say we give him 22.7 million per year......

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Riddle:

Why is the entertainment industry different than almost any other industry in North America

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:I say we give him 22.7 million per year......

At least that amount if we want to build a Stanley Cup contender. Should buy us a couple of snipers.

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Triniman wrote:

At least that amount if we want to build a Stanley Cup contender. Should buy us a couple of snipers.

When was the last time that a team was able to buy themselves a Stanley Cup winning team?

The Jets need to develop their current roster and not worry about paying $7m per year for a player most likely past their prime.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Buying good snipers is a way to help a competitive team, no?

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

sputnik wrote:
Triniman wrote:

When was the last time that a team was able to buy themselves a Stanley Cup winning team?

The Jets need to develop their current roster and not worry about paying $7m per year for a player most likely past their prime.
A better question is why NHL Teams pay $7m for a player who is performing like a $2m player. In almost any other industry the under-performing employee would be taking a serious cut in pay or be out on his ear.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Even with these tax incentives, and gaming revenues, the team is in the black. And will probably remain that way as time goes on. Mark Chippman didn't become a billionaire making poor financial decisions. I would assume that there is a long term plan for the profitability of the team in this city.

Having said that however, why is this a Jets issue? The city and the province do this all the time for other organizations. How many times has the province gone to bat for MotorCoach, or Bristol Aerospace? Aside from that as a business TNSE is ensuring that they like any other company is taking advantage of tax incentives, and loopholes. Sorry I can't fault them for that, however they could also turn that tax refund back into the community as well. Good promotion for the Jets, and the city. The money gets funneled back into the community and everyone wins. The Jets will grow into this community like the old Jets did.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'll bet Chipman will be thrilled to learn he is a billionaire. Smile Did you mean Thompson?

As to returning to the community TNSE has set up a foundation that delivers hundreds and hundreds of thousands to charitable causes that simply could not be delivered to that extent if not for the Jets presence in Winnipeg.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

In the ops view it is pragmatic thinkers that can agree that investing in the Jets, the arena and the stadium is good. Those same pragmatic thinkers can't possible agree with more controversial investments.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Yeah the other guy.

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Triniman wrote:Buying good snipers is a way to help a competitive team, no?

How many available snipers are worth the money these days?

Kane is having a great year and has as many goals as Tavares and Ovechkin and more goals than the likes of Iginla, Kovalchuk, Nash, Alfredsson and Lecavalier with less games played.

Winnipeg will do much better developing their talent and finding young or under rated hard working players (i.e. Wellwood, Wheeler etc) to create offense.

The last thing the Jets need is some overpaid "superstar" stinking up the dressing room with their long term $7+ million salary without the offense to justify the cost.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Two words

WAYNE GRETZKY!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Who?

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

sputnik wrote:
Triniman wrote:Buying good snipers is a way to help a competitive team, no?

How many available snipers are worth the money these days?

Kane is having a great year and has as many goals as Tavares and Ovechkin and more goals than the likes of Iginla, Kovalchuk, Nash, Alfredsson and Lecavalier with less games played.

Winnipeg will do much better developing their talent and finding young or under rated hard working players (i.e. Wellwood, Wheeler etc) to create offense.

The last thing the Jets need is some overpaid "superstar" stinking up the dressing room with their long term $7+ million salary without the offense to justify the cost.

I agree with this, I like the Jets core, let them build properly, soon enough Wheeler and Kane will be making that kind of money anyway. The only UFA I would go after is Parise in NJ, only if he wants to play here

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum