the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General?

+13
HorndogDavis
Jondo
administrator
Deank
Freeman
djh
Miz point
LivingDead
rosencrentz
Northlands
GGF
grumpy old man
Triniman
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General?

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_lcap27%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 27% [ 3 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_lcap18%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 18% [ 2 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_lcap45%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 45% [ 5 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_lcap9%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

If the Queen doesn't do as the Prime Minister says, he won't give her the annual beaver she gets from us. This alone keeps her in her place I bet.
------

I'd go along with the 'farmer thing' provided the farmer has enough class to rub shoulders with the world's high-rollers and not embarass us.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF you wrote:

If the Queen doesn't do as the Prime Minister says, he won't give her the annual beaver she gets from us. This alone keeps her in her place I bet.
------

I'd go along with the 'farmer thing' provided the farmer has enough class to rub shoulders with the world's high-rollers and not embarass us.

greeblok and I am certain even the farmer would change from his farm clothing to clean duds before going to shake the Queen's hand etc...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"and it came close for the present GG to dismiss the PM...and the main reason why she didn't was because the opposition couldn't unite etc..."

Not even close. The main reason why she didn't is because she felt that the PM had the proper authority to request it, as he did.

She

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:If the Queen doesn't do as the Prime Minister says, he won't give her the annual beaver she gets from us. This alone keeps her in her place I bet.
------

Talking about the Queen's beaver is grounds to be charged with sedition. Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Icon_smile

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you wrote:

"and it came close for the present GG to dismiss the PM...and
the main reason why she didn't was because the opposition couldn't unite etc..."

Not even close. The main reason why she didn't is because she felt that the PM had the proper authority to request it, as he did.

She

If you recall Deank the opposition were trying to unite to form the government and had they been able to...The GG would have had no choice but to dismiss the present PM or dissolve Parliament...and send us in another election...and one way or the other none of the parties wanted an election in Feb and or close or during the Olympics so they all backed off etc...

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There's a difference between prorogation and dissolution of Parliament. Harper requested prorogation. Only if he approached the GG and said he was unable to form government then the GG could ask the opposition if they could form government. That never happened.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

GGF wrote:Deank you wrote:

"and it came close for the present GG to dismiss the PM...and
the main reason why she didn't was because the opposition couldn't unite etc..."

She

If you recall Deank the opposition were trying to unite to form the government and had they been able to...The GG would have had no choice but to dismiss the present PM or dissolve Parliament...and send us in another election...and one way or the other none of the parties wanted an election in Feb and or close or during the Olympics so they all backed off etc...

wrong again. The GG has every choice in the matter and the GGs office in the past has refused coalition governments from taking power. AND they all backed off because even though they played the political mind game with their supporters and all that protest garbage, they themselves realized that it was perfectly acceptible and if they would try to interfere they ( okay lets be realistic only the Liberals ) would lose a political card that they routinely play whilst in power.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you wrote:

wrong again. The GG has every choice in the matter and the GGs office in the past has refused coalition governments from taking power. AND they all backed off because even though they played the political mind game with their supporters and all that protest garbage, they themselves realized that it was perfectly acceptible and if they would try to interfere they ( okay lets be realistic only the Liberals ) would lose a political card that they routinely play whilst in power.

Either way Deank if they had formed the coalition government...you said yourself the GG would have not accepted that which then means she would have had no choice but to dissolve Parliament and send Canadians to the polls around the Olympics etc...

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Constitutional Democracy 101
Had there been a confidence motion which the minority government, or majority government had there been one, lost, then the GG could ask the opposition if they could form government, otherwise, off to the polls we go. None of that happened.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" means she would have had no choice but to dissolve Parliament "

again not true. She has all the choice in the world. She can ignore them quite easily. just look at what past GGs have done and you will see the choice that is evident.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Glad you guys can correct GGF..... Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 4 Icon_eek

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you wrote:

" means she would have had no choice but to dissolve Parliament "

again not true. She has all the choice in the world. She can ignore them quite easily. just look at what past GGs have done and you will see the choice that is evident.

Past GG's generally have not had to deal with the "minority governments" we are now having in Canada and when GG's did so there hasn't been a GG that has gone against the will of the majority of it's people (subjects)...

And what you are referring to in relation to what past GG's have done and you will see the choice that is evident... is in relation to when there is a "Majority Government in Parliament" only...

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Actually...looking back...it really only matters what's happened with the GG since 1967.

Before that...everyone was a British Subject anyway... Very Happy

http://www.photage.ca

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Very Happy

Anonymous

Personally, I think the GG should stfu and do what the Prime Minister says to do....whichever PM is in power.

I sure don't want some appointed figurehead running the country....which is what could be done.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF you wrote:

Personally, I think the GG should stfu and do what the Prime Minister says to do....whichever PM is in power.

I sure don't want some appointed figurehead running the country....which is what could be done.

Greeblok but that's a whole other issue in relation to the GG and a Commonwealth Country that isn't ready to ditch the Queen yet...

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

But back to the topic at hand, who should be the next GG?

I think Rick Hansen would be a great choice. No politics, high profile. Others?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

definately not rick hansen, also definately not Wayne Gretzky ( saw on CTV news that was a possible person)
Judy Alphabet

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:definately not rick hansen, also definately not Wayne Gretzky ( saw on CTV news that was a possible person)
Judy Alphabet

but, but, who would be our next Mayor?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the same person who is going to be anyway.

but seriously .. Judy would make a good appointment, mind you I think that Harper would be tossed from his party if he gave another plum appointment to a nipper.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you wrote:

but seriously .. Judy would make a good appointment, mind you I think that Harper would be tossed from his party if he gave another plum appointment to a nipper.

I agree and they would not only toss Harper but his government also if he gave another plum appointment to a nipper...and because he/they is/are in a "Minority Government in Parliament"...

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Judy whoever? Why is her name even bandied around? Because she's a left wing female with a hyphenated name? I mean - that is so damn 90's. The fact that this stupidity continues simply bothers me. Walter Gretzky's neighbour would be more relevant than her. In fact - get rid of the GG altogether.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I agree and they would not only toss Harper but his government also if he gave another plum appointment to a nipper...and because he/they is/are in a "Minority Government in Parliament"...

Not likely. Wouldn't expect the NDP to vote against the government if one of their own was just appointed GG.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:

Not likely. Wouldn't expect the NDP to vote against the government if one of their own was just appointed GG.

Why exactly would his own party toss themselves from government?

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Jondo you wrote:

get rid of the GG altogether.

greeblok and that also means we would have to get rid of our Provincial LG's also...

And what is an interesting twist to the politics and the GG happening right now and a "Minority Government in Parliament" is that if the other parties do not go along with the Minority Government or Harper's pick for GG it will force us into an election...and...

And then the really interesting question occurs...Which is what is it that will happen if Canadians elect another minority government in Parliament?...and once again they cannot agree on a GG?...

And right now all the polls indicate that if an election was called right now...We would end up with a minority government again in Parliament...so yeah my take on it all is as follows...

We just have to keep electing minority governments in Parliament and we just might some day be able to get rid of the GG and LG's...or be stuck with MJ forever as GG...

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

GGF wrote:And what is an interesting twist to the politics and the GG happening right now and a "Minority Government in Parliament" is that if the other parties do not go along with the Minority Government or Harper's pick for GG it will force us into an election...and...

The appointment of the GG is not subject to a confidence motion or any other kind of motion by parliament. By you stating the same bullshit again, does not make it ring true. The PM selects the GG and the Queen makes the appointment. What part of that do you not understand?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum