the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General?

+13
HorndogDavis
Jondo
administrator
Deank
Freeman
djh
Miz point
LivingDead
rosencrentz
Northlands
GGF
grumpy old man
Triniman
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General?

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_lcap27%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_rcap 27% [ 3 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_lcap18%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_rcap 18% [ 2 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_lcap45%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_rcap 45% [ 5 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_lcap9%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 Vote_rcap 9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

And he already dresses like royalty so we would not have to pay for a new wardrobe!

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Joe would be good if we absolutely must fund another useless salary and pension.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Don Cherry....cool!

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Just think he could haggle with the PM.. I will prorouge parliment for you.. IF you put up the fund to put a NHL team in Winnipeg

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you wrote:

Just think he could haggle with the PM.. I will prorouge parliment for you.. IF you put up the fund to put a NHL team in Winnipeg

I think good old Don would win that one hands down...that is unless the PM starts dressing like Don himself...Then we would have problems distinguishing who's who...

lol!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.. Hockey Night in Canada with Stephen Harper!

from the sounds of his hockey smarts that might not actually be that bad of a show.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

apparently Canada CAN get rid of the GG (according to what I read there)

it would take a UNANIMOUS vote by parliament to do it.

Last edited by AGEsAces on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and a unanimous vote by each of the provinces too.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

AgesAces you wrote:

apparently Canada CAN get rid of the GG (according to what I read there)

it would take a UNANIMOUS vote by parliament to do it.

Deank you wrote:

and a unanimous vote by each of the provinces too.

Right but that's after a GG has been appointed...So what is that happens before a GG is appointed as GG?...

Does the PM "solely" himself/herself have the Power to "recommend who the GG is going to be" without first going through the House of Commons?...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Does the PM "solely" himself/herself have the Power to "recommend who the GG is going to be" without first going through the House of Commons?..."
Just in case some of us are colour blind
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 YES--almost%2520exposed%2520woman%2520in%2520red%2520dress--vogue%252091

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 6 An%2520overwhelming%2520yes!

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Technically you are right Deank a PM can actually recommend a GG by themselves...However...

The minute the PMO Office or the PM announces who the candidate is going to be...

There will immediately be a motion introduced in the House of Commons by any of the elected or sitting MP's regardless of party and it is always a vote of confidence or non confidence for the PM or governing party and right now the present government is in a minority and could easily lose the vote if it doesn't have one of the other parties agree/prop up the government otherwise we are heading back to the polls...

And then you tell me what happens to the PM's pick?...Does the Queen now say OK?

And none of this was much of a concern previously in Canada because of the governing parties having a "Majority in Parliament" previously which simply meant that whomever the PM chose as GG got to stay because the governing party would pass the non confidence vote in Parliament because of their majority...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you are incorrect GGF thats what happens there is no vote in the house.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'd vote for Preston Manning but I can't seem to cast it.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

GGF wrote:Does the PM "solely" himself/herself have the Power to "recommend who the GG is going to be" without first going through the House of Commons?...

For crissake, how many times does GGF have to be told before he catches on. I realize that he can't read my posts, but after he has stated twice that there has to be a vote in the Commons to appoint the GG, now he asks the question.

And, as DeanK has so eloquently answered, the answer is yes, the PM recommends the GG and the Crown appoints. How fricking hard is that to understand?

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

And.......some folks wonder WHY I get impatient and ticked off?

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo wrote:I'd vote for Preston Manning but I can't seem to cast it.

Yep, flawed list....hehehe....but that being said, Manning would be an interesting choice. This position really has little political clout. I will say it again, it is a position based on reward for whatever distinction.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

GGF wrote:There will immediately be a motion introduced in the House of Commons by any of the elected or sitting MP's regardless of party and it is always a vote of confidence or non confidence for the PM or governing party and right now the present government is in a minority and could easily lose the vote if it doesn't have one of the other parties agree/prop up the government otherwise we are heading back to the polls...

The government can lose a vote if it is not of confidence, so what the hell is this supposed to mean. The government is obligated to resign if they lose a confidence vote, as it is deemed that they no longer have the confidence of the people to govern the country. How can you live in this country and not understand how the system works? How can you shoot your mouth off on things that you don't understand?

Besides, this thread is about who should be the next GG, not for GGF to show how little he knows.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Miz point wrote:And.......some folks wonder WHY I get impatient and ticked off?

I don't. It is annyong that someone (GGF) can keep shooting bullshit and expect anyone and everyone to believe it.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What about McGinty? That way he could stop fricking up the largest province in the country.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:
GGF wrote:There will immediately be a motion introduced in the House of Commons by any of the elected or sitting MP's regardless of party and it is always a vote of confidence or non confidence for the PM or governing party and right now the present government is in a minority and could easily lose the vote if it doesn't have one of the other parties agree/prop up the government otherwise we are heading back to the polls...

The government can lose a vote if it is not of confidence, so what the hell is this supposed to mean. The government is obligated to resign if they lose a confidence vote, as it is deemed that they no longer have the confidence of the people to govern the country. How can you live in this country and not understand how the system works? How can you shoot your mouth off on things that you don't understand?

Besides, this thread is about who should be the next GG, not for GGF to show how little he knows.

exactly

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Actually I hadn't heard about this GG thing. Didn't she just start that gig? Is it every 4 years I guess therefore they have to line up the next one? Harpers pick will likely continue to surprise people. Who's a damn smart strategist isn't he? Appointing Doer (an NDP) to USA Ambassador? And then we read the latest polls about our local C's having a good chance finally. They will laugh about that one for years.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

lol!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the GG (and LG) serve at the pleasure of the queen. to a term usually about 5 years before a new one is appointed.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yeah I just hadn't heard that the next appointment was being considered. She must have a few years left - no?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

6 months

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Some of what is in Post #144

Those that spew crap like this above are the only ones that do not know what they are talking about...

This is what is a matter of "Fact" here in Canada instead:

A "governing" Federal Government that loses a "Confidence Vote" in the House of Commons/Parliament has no "CHOICE" but to go to the Governor General and ask the Governor General "to dissolve Parliament" as a result of the House of Commons/Parliament no longer having the "Confidence in the governing party" to continue governing in the House of Commons/Parliament and or the confidence to govern her majesties subjects...the people of Canada...

Translation...We all end up having to go to the polls...because her majesty's representative which is the Governor General here in Canada will grant her subjects requests and dissolve Parliament...Period...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum