the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General?

+13
HorndogDavis
Jondo
administrator
Deank
Freeman
djh
Miz point
LivingDead
rosencrentz
Northlands
GGF
grumpy old man
Triniman
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General?

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_lcap27%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_rcap 27% [ 3 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_lcap0%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_lcap18%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_rcap 18% [ 2 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_lcap0%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_lcap45%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_rcap 45% [ 5 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_lcap9%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? Vote_rcap 9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Governor-General Michael Jean's term is coming to an end and it appears she won't be renewed.

Who would you like to see as the next Governor-General?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Perhaps we should also be debating if we need a Governor General and Lieutenant Governors? Time to cut the cord?

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

greeblok GOM but I don't think we can take the GG and LG off the public tet that easy...

But we can try by starting with a real debate in the box or elsewhere on the subject matter...

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Hey Triniman I don't recognize anyone that works at the CBC in your poll LOL!...

I say Peter M. or something should be added to the poll... Shocked

Anonymous

I can't say who the next GG will be be, but I can say that it sure won't be another ex-CBCer. Wink

Rick Hansen would be a good choice, but he apparently turned it down.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Jtf you wrote:

I can't say who the next GG will be be, but I can say that it sure won't be another ex-CBCer. Wink

Now, now let's not all hold our collective breaths my friend...I have my entire life wondered how the GG or LG's are truly picked in Canada...and must say I am as confused today as I was when I was way, way younger...

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

JTF wrote:I can't say who the next GG will be be, but I can say that it sure won't be another ex-CBCer. Wink

He would make a great choice, but the man's been busy all of his life. Probably deserves to slow down a bit so I can understand at least one aspect of his decision.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Northlands I agree that Rick H. would be a great GG and although he may never have said this I think Rick H. turned the offer down because he recognizes that he can do way more for his cause continuing down the road he has started then to get involved in politics and or more specifically perhaps become a GG...

And this is a question I also have...Is the GG House equipped to handle someone who is handicapped as GG?...Does anyone know?...

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Grumpy Old Man is my 1st choice!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

JTF wrote:

I stand corrected... he hasn't been asked.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/spokeswoman-says-rick-hansen-hasnt-turned-down-prime-ministers-offer-of-gg-job-89849047.html

"He essentially has not been given the opportunity to accept, decline or even consider . . . the role," said McMillan, who speaks on behalf of the Rick Hansen Foundation.

There has been speculation for years about Hansen taking on the job of the governor general.

"His response has always been that he's very honoured, really flattered that Canadians would consider him for such a position in our country," McMillan said.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Cool Jtf and do you perhaps have some info on whether the GG House is equipped to accommodate a "Person with physical handicaps and or with special needs as a full time GG or would it have to be renovated first etc?"...

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

There's a movement to get Preston Manning the job.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman you wrote:

There's a movement to get Preston Manning the job.

You kidding me?...Yuk he would be as the next GG...He couldn't get elected or keep a party together etc...

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

It's about time we had a white male, who is not a former CBC reporter, don't you think?

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman you wrote:

It's about time we had a white male, who is not a former CBC reporter, don't you think?

Oh no not him again and without the classic specs I must say... lol!

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Triniman wrote:Governor-General Michael Jean's term is coming to an end and it appears she won't be renewed.

Who would you like to see as the next Governor-General?

In all Honesty I'd like to see either my wife, or myself as the next Governor-General.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What a slanted list. Why not retired General Romeo Dallaire? If anyone deserves to be honored and recognized for SERVICE to their country it is him.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Miz Point you wrote:

What a slanted list. Why not retired General Romeo Dallaire? If anyone deserves to be honored and recognized for SERVICE to their country it is him.

In relation to that list up there I also agree it to be slanted and in relation to Gen Romeo or any other Generals etc I really don't think the Feds would even consider asking/nominating someone tied in with the "Cdn Military" as GG and that's because of the continuing Afghanistan mission and or controversy with the Afghanistan detainees etc...

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Dallaire is retired, long retired and is internationally respected.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Miz Point you wrote:

Yeah I know but he is still tied in to the Cdn military and a so call failed UN or Cdn Military Mission and politically "he would also be a minefield" for the Feds if they considered him as GG because he could come back to further haunt the Cdn government itself...and also I do believe he is a Lib and then the Quebec factor has to always be weigh in when a GG is considered and Quebec is not entirely pro military to begin with etc...

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Miz point wrote:What a slanted list. Why not retired General Romeo Dallaire? If anyone deserves to be honored and recognized for SERVICE to their country it is him.

Can you name a more honoured person in recent memory? Apart from Jon Montgomery of Russell, MB and the continuously lauded Gail Asper?

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

GGF wrote:Miz Point you wrote:

Yeah I know but he is still tied in to the Cdn military and a so call failed UN or Cdn Military Mission and politically "he would also be a minefield" for the Feds if they considered him as GG because he could come back to further haunt the Cdn government itself...and also I do believe he is a Lib and then the Quebec factor has to always be weigh in when a GG is considered and Quebec is not entirely pro military to begin with etc...

Dallaire is not to blame for the debacle in Rwanda - the bloated UN is to blame. How could Dallaire's appointment if that were to happen become a minefield for the Feds? I do not see your "reasoning".

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Triniman wrote:
Miz point wrote:What a slanted list. Why not retired General Romeo Dallaire? If anyone deserves to be honored and recognized for SERVICE to their country it is him.

Can you name a more honoured person in recent memory? Apart from Jon Montgomery of Russell, MB and the continuously lauded Gail Asper?

What is so honorable about Deborah Grey or Vic Toews?

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Not a hell of a lot.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

When Adrienne Clarkson was nominated I was wondering what they had been drinking when her name was put forth.....as to Michaelle Jean I think she has been a great representative. My feeling about this position is that it should go to someone with a solid service record and not because of political stripes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum