the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General?

+13
HorndogDavis
Jondo
administrator
Deank
Freeman
djh
Miz point
LivingDead
rosencrentz
Northlands
GGF
grumpy old man
Triniman
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General?

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_lcap27%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 27% [ 3 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_lcap18%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 18% [ 2 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_lcap45%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 45% [ 5 ]
Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_lcap9%Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

i would not in anyway support rick hansen as a GG. he is not deserving of the title or the office.

However having someone else who is disabled would make a good statement

i guess thats why Glen Murray, Stu Murray, and Deborah Grey are on the above list.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Who should be Canada's next Governor-General? - Page 3 Lol

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

administrator

administrator
administrator
administrator

djh wrote:miz p, youre a disgusting homo. when im barred from here that will not change. i wonder if you want to return to the jewish community who rejected you.
I see you have voluntarily barred yourself. I think the sandbox will honour your request.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

If the next annointment is Wendy Mesley or your highness Pamela Wallen then I will puke.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Jondo you wrote:

If the next annointment is Wendy Mesley or your highness Pamela Wallen then I will puke.

Greeblok and I think instead of Wendy they may just try with Peter Mansbridge and make it 3 CBCer's in a row as GG's instead...

lol!

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

That would indicate a CBC conspiracy.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Whats a greeblok?

HorndogDavis

Why is Freeman not on the poll?

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Jondo wrote:If the next annointment is Wendy Mesley or your highness Pamela Wallen then I will puke.

Pam's a Conservative, so I would not be surprised if she is in the running.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

This streak of female media GG's is over. The position has become a joke and Harper will restore it with a proper placement. It will definately be a male next time and not media. That Duffy appointment still bothers me. Can't think of a good one right now but any retired farmer would satisfy me.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman you wrote:

Pam's a Conservative, so I would not be surprised if she is in the running.

Wasn't Pam in the running last time when MJ was picked instead as GG?...

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Jondo you wrote:

This streak of female media GG's is over. The position has become a joke and Harper will restore it with a proper placement. It will definately be a male next time and not media. That Duffy appointment still bothers me. Can't think of a good one right now but any retired farmer would satisfy me.

Retired farmer or just about any "Joe or Jill" seems to be the norm for the GG position but your right it should at least be a "Joe" this time around because we have had two "Jills" in row as GG's and as a male I am starting to feel like us males can't cut it as GG's no more...

lol!

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

what's wrong with a female GG?

And I thought the GG was appointed by the Queen? Or am I thinking of something else?

http://www.photage.ca

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

the Queen appoints the Governor General to carry out most of the monarch's constitutional and ceremonial duties for an unfixed period of time — known as serving At Her Majesty's pleasure — though five years is the normal convention, as is a rotation between anglophone and francophone incumbents. Once in office, these individuals maintain direct contact with the Queen, wherever she may be at the time

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

AgesAces you wrote:

the Queen appoints the Governor General to carry out most of the
monarch's constitutional and ceremonial duties for an unfixed period of
time — known as serving At Her Majesty's pleasure —
though five years is the normal convention, as is a rotation between anglophone and francophone
incumbents. Once in office, these individuals maintain direct contact
with the Queen, wherever she may be at the time

Exactly except however the Queen's pick has to have the approval of Parliament also...

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

GGF wrote:Exactly except however the Queen's pick has to have the approval of Parliament also...

Where does it say that?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Freeman wrote:
GGF wrote:Exactly except however the Queen's pick has to have the approval of Parliament also...

Where does it say that?

Don't waste your time looking for it, because no such requirement exists. It is the PM that decides on the GG and the formal appointment is made by the reigning monarch.

Don't post what you don't know.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Ultimately it is the Queen who decides. She could ignore the PMs request if she so desired but to do so the choice the PM made would have to be very wrong like a pedophile or something.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank you wrote:

Ultimately it is the Queen who decides. She could ignore the PMs request if she so desired but to do so the choice the PM made would have to be very wrong like a pedophile or something.

Exactly and the key words are the "PM Requests" and the "Choice the PM made"...

Which boils down to Parliaments approval etc and especially in a minority government situation...

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

GGF wrote:Which boils down to Parliaments approval etc and especially in a minority government situation...

Bullshit. You're wrong. Parliament is not involved. Just move on.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Remember Ray Hnyatyshyn (I make no apology for the spelling)

See DeanK, theres hope for you yet.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah nothing at all about parliments approval. NOTHING at all. Not even anything to do with the governing party. The PM can ask the queen to appoint his mom if he really wanted to.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:yeah nothing at all about parliments approval. NOTHING at all. Not even anything to do with the governing party. The PM can ask the queen to appoint his mom if he really wanted to.

That would be an idea, at least he'd have a place to live if he doesn't get re-elected.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I would presume the PM would appoint someone somewhat politically along the same line as him.

According to what I read, the GG has the power to dismiss the PM (with cause) or under the command of the Monarch.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

AgesAces you wrote:

I would presume the PM would appoint someone somewhat politically along the same line as him.

According to what I read, the GG has the power to dismiss the PM (with cause) or under the command of the Monarch.

Oh yeah and then some and the most recent example is when the PM prorogued the last Parliament in January and it came close for the present GG to dismiss the PM...and the main reason why she didn't was because the opposition couldn't unite etc...

Anonymous

If the Queen doesn't do as the Prime Minister says, he won't give her the annual beaver she gets from us. This alone keeps her in her place I bet.
------

I'd go along with the 'farmer thing' provided the farmer has enough class to rub shoulders with the world's high-rollers and not embarass us.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum