the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg

+35
RogerStrong
Miz point
Northlands
umcrouc0
toban71
Bark and Bite
Mantha
eViL tRoLl
trebor204
AGEsAces
djh
holly golightly
casualchris
Goth_chic
usedtoliveinstb
death128
St Norberter
JT Estoban
Bartron
Jondo
SuperNaut
Triniman
FlyingRat
USApegger
cherenkov
rosencrentz
LivingDead
EdWin
GGF
Outsider
Mr_Point
Deank
Electrician
sputnik
grumpy old man
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 27]

Mantha wrote:
JTF wrote:Dallas or even
Seattle are ahead of us on the list....that's just being real,
imo. Wink

Uhhh... Dallas has a team already....

THAT'S being real.

http://stars.nhl.com/

Oops....I was thinking of Vegas....I always get those two towns mixed up...don't ask me why.

Bark and Bite

Bark and Bite

Least Vegas has the money to burn.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Welcome to the sandbox Bark and Bite. Tell us a little about yourself...

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

I hope he barks loud and bites hard.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Letssee I have appointed Toban as our premier.

hmnm bark and bite..

I am going to go with a cop or a judge. hmm.. judge I guess

Welcome to the sandbox Judge BB

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Welcome Bark and bite!

toban71

toban71

Bark and Bite wrote:Least Vegas has the money to burn.

...and just look at how successful Las Vegas has been with pro hockey. In fact, Las Vegas has a very storied hockey history. When "Las Vegas" comes to mind, I often think "NHL hockey" first, then gambling a distant second...

Let's not forget about their "sister city:, Phoenix. With 4 times the population of Vegas, the coyotes are setting box office records. In fact, I heard they have sold out every game since they relocated from Winnipeg. Rumor has it the Coyotes are going to make $700 billion dollar profit this year, as tickets usually go for $5,000 for nosebleeds.

The enormous success of NHL hockey in the Southwestern US has the NHL contemplating placing teams in other starved hockey markets like Tucson, AZ, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, El Paso, and even Tijuana. I've even heard rumors that Honolulu, Hawaii has 30,000,000 people that placed $500 non-refundable deposits on NHL season tickets. Even if they fail to land a franchise, the NHL is set to gain a whopping $15 billion.

Money to burn is an understatement. I have heard rumors that people in Nevada are mortgaging their homes for mini-packs. They are as dedicated as NHL fans can be in "Sin City!"

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ahhh, sarcasm. Very funny. Smile

You forgot about the teams in London, England and Minsk, Russia.

Anonymous

The point is that Bettingman won't consider a city that once had a franchise imo. If Phoenix loses this team, you can be sure that they won't be on the list for another look either. That is just my thought.

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:The point is that Bettingman won't consider a city that once had a franchise imo. If Phoenix loses this team, you can be sure that they won't be on the list for another look either. That is just my thought.

Have you not been reading the news lately? The NHL has publicly admited to having talks with Chipman/Thomson about the possibility of the NHL returning to Winnipeg.

Not to mention the leaked e-mail from Bettman to Daly saying "if a team did return to Canada, it would be Winnipeg”.

Anonymous

Of course it would be Winnipeg over Hamilton LOL...but that's not meaningful discussions...that's just giving the finger to Jim Balsillie.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

It's not all in the attendance (NHL just looks at the revenues...), but it's also about the future generation hockey players. I'm sure local junior hockey would thrive from having an NHL team back in town, as this would attract more kids off the streets and into hockey rinks. Cheering for a home team would be better than cheering for a team from Alberta, or the Leafs... (Written by a former Leaf fan...).

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:The point is that Bettingman won't consider a city that once had a franchise imo. If Phoenix loses this team, you can be sure that they won't be on the list for another look either. That is just my thought.

That's a good point. You'd never see a team go back to somewhere like Minnesota. Oh, wait. Well, they wouldn't move a team back to Colorado. Hmm. But they definitely would never consider talking to somewhere like Kansas City again.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Electrician wrote:It's not all in the attendance (NHL just looks at the revenues...), but it's also about the future generation hockey players. I'm sure local junior hockey would thrive from having an NHL team back in town, as this would attract more kids off the streets and into hockey rinks. Cheering for a home team would be better than cheering for a team from Alberta, or the Leafs... (Written by a former Leaf fan...).
Ya, but the only Junior team that's close enough for support is in Brandon!

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

umcrouc0 wrote:

That's a good point. You'd never see a team go back to somewhere like Minnesota. Oh, wait. Well, they wouldn't move a team back to Colorado. Hmm. But they definitely would never consider talking to somewhere like Kansas City again.

All the city's who lost franchises and did get a team again are all in the USA, hmmmm. Gary Bettman is an American, hmmm. Gary Bettman wants nothing more then for hockey to be as popular as basketball in the USA, hmmm. Does anyone see a connection? Wink

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

No.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

The teams are going to go where they think they'll make money. ESPECIALLY after the failures of the last 15 years.

Country has NOTHING to do with it.

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

So, it's easier to start up a losing basketball team in, let's say, Vancouver, or how about, Montreal, rather than bring an NHL team back to Winnipeg, where, with a decent roster, can have a decent attendance.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Mantha wrote:The teams are going to go where they think they'll make money. ESPECIALLY after the failures of the last 15 years.

Country has NOTHING to do with it.

Country does have something to do with it... Americans don't care as much about games involving Canadian teams... so I've heard.

Anonymous

Bettmen doe,s not understand the game just the $,s

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Anonymous

And now that there putting up wins all bets are off , watch the seats will fill . Already have started too.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

There are MANY things changing in Winnipeg, for the better. But sadly, one thing never seems to change; the Winnipeg negative mentality. It just breaks my heart because this will be one of the main reasons why we can't progress the way we should, breaking my heart yet again.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Way back when the jets were owned locally and were up for sale, there was an option that any local group could purchase it for $50 million. That was when CJOB and others tried to raise the money. The Conservatives were in power at the time- No Go! and so the Franchise was sold to Kouston.
Today the NDP govt is loaning $90 million dollars to get the Bomber's new stadium built!
When I think of that $15,000,000 payroll and all the taxed being paid to the Province, and all the hot dogs, Pepsi's, Beer being sold at the games, all the rentals of autos, homes, apartments, and all the money spent in the community, you have to thank the politicians for being so short sighted!

http://www.elansofas.com

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:you have to thank the politicians for being so short sighted!

Hey, if the money isn't being spent on potholes, the public will revolt.

It's not always the politicians fault! Wink

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The Politicians , Conservatives, wouldn't even discuss the subject, because they were allways running close to the NDP, and this was a pretty dangerous subjust!

http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum