the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

We Believe in Winnipeg

+5
wpg_idiot
jimj_wpg
eastsider
grumpy old man
anny
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1We Believe in Winnipeg Empty We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:57 pm

anny

contributor
contributor

The Free Press and the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce are launching a new story series to boost Winnipeggers' hometown morale.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/The-Free-Press-hopes-you-believe-too-41971947.html

What are your feel-good Winnipeg stories?

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

2We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:12 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I was uber-disappointed in Marty Gold's spin on this this afternoon. His smug smirkiness was way out of line for the objective.

His smarmy comments that the WFP might not cover the feel-good stories that Gold approved implies Gold has an agenda that he did not identify.

I think the end-game here is admirable. We do tend to claim the media only covers bad news. Now that they intend to write positive Winnipeg stories let's embrace it.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

3We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:20 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Here is my story. It is not so much a story as it is a feeling. I have travelled the world some, Paris, London, Cedar Rapids and coast to coast in Canada. And I lived in the centre of the universe for a third of my life. I know something of what I speak.

Every city has its' warts. Some more than others. Every city has its' roses. Some more than others. But Winnipeg has her people.

I've always had this undefinable passion for Winnipeg. It was developed though my experiences with Winnipeggers. One thing that Winnipeg has going for it that few other cities have are her people.

Winnipeg truly is Friendly Manitoba.

4We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:35 pm

Anonymous

My favorite is the way this city will rise to the challenge , and do what is right and good for those who really need it . Yes that trust and bond has been shaken by some who would abuse it, but for the most part it is there .

5We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 pm

anny

contributor
contributor

Let's try to get a story published from here!

6We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:14 pm

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Grumpy stole what I was going to say!! Its the people that make Winnipeg Winnipeg.......In some ways (maybe alot of ways) we are a city that thinks like a small town, and for me thats not a bad thing, I love how here in Transcona I know my neighbors up and down the street, you go into a shop and they often greet you by name, my kinda place!

7We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:03 pm

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

8We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:05 pm

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

There'll be lots of those stories because of all the floodwater

9We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:13 pm

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

Oh?

10We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

I'm disappointed by the negative reader comments at the end of the Free Press article. I think people who curse this place are really reflecting on their own lives.

I meet strangers all the time, through work and on the golf course and yes, this is Friendly Manitoba.

11We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:52 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Two Tuesdays ago, I awoke to -24* and up to 60 km/hr winds, and the reported wind chill was -34, a complete falsehood. You add 1/2 of the km wind to the actual temp, so i figured that it was appx -54*, but I am sure Mayor Sam wouldn't let that out, cause everyone would leave, so he boosted the temp for two make everyone proud of Winnipeg. lol!

Last edited by rosencrentz on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.elansofas.com

12We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:26 am

Anonymous

Life is what you make it and I have seen some of the worst this city has to offer . I still love it .

13We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:53 am

Anonymous

Sorry to state the obvious, but it is so very true imho...

Winnipeg is the right balance between exotic and obscure.

No doubt that Winnipeggers make it that way.

My biggest concern is that some people wish to change that and make us just like Calgary or Edmonton, or some other "hip" city. There's nothing wrong with change and growth in of itself, but there can be.

14We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:26 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Winnipeg excels at volunteerism.
Winnipeg has great restaurants.
Winnipeg has 4 seasons. (I'm not talking about the restaurant here, the 4 seasons, which is excellent BTW).
Winnipeg has great trees.

15We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:08 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:Winnipeg is the right balance between exotic and obscure.
Why does that sound so familiar???

16We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Anonymous

Heh heh...look up...look way way up...

17We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Who are you? the Friendly Giant?

18We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:34 pm

Anonymous

Ho ho ho (oops...wrong giant).

19We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:26 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

JTF wrote:My biggest concern is that some people wish to change that and make us just like Calgary or Edmonton, or some other "hip" city. There's nothing wrong with change and growth in of itself, but there can be.

The City will change and grow due to the free market and what society values, not what government tells us to value.

20We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Smile! You're on candid camera.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/tv/
Yup, the Freep is showing a live stream of the Red River. If I'm not mistaken, this was done a few years back, from the St. Boniface Hospital, too. I hope the level stays down, especially since the river will have to absorb all the inner city's melting snow.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

21We Believe in Winnipeg Empty Re: We Believe in Winnipeg Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:30 am

anny

contributor
contributor

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum