the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg

+35
RogerStrong
Miz point
Northlands
umcrouc0
toban71
Bark and Bite
Mantha
eViL tRoLl
trebor204
AGEsAces
djh
holly golightly
casualchris
Goth_chic
usedtoliveinstb
death128
St Norberter
JT Estoban
Bartron
Jondo
SuperNaut
Triniman
FlyingRat
USApegger
cherenkov
rosencrentz
LivingDead
EdWin
GGF
Outsider
Mr_Point
Deank
Electrician
sputnik
grumpy old man
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 27]

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The Politicians , Conservatives, wouldn't even discuss the subject, because they were allways running close to the NDP, and this was a pretty dangerous subjust!

http://www.elansofas.com

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:Way back when the jets were owned locally and were up for sale, there was an option that any local group could purchase it for $50 million. That was when CJOB and others tried to raise the money. The Conservatives were in power at the time- No Go! and so the Franchise was sold to Kouston.
Today the NDP govt is loaning $90 million dollars to get the Bomber's new stadium built!
When I think of that $15,000,000 payroll and all the taxed being paid to the Province, and all the hot dogs, Pepsi's, Beer being sold at the games, all the rentals of autos, homes, apartments, and all the money spent in the community, you have to thank the politicians for being so short sighted!

Did one of the political leaders promise to help bring back a NHL franchise to Manitoba during the last provincial election?
Did that promise help the party win the election?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That's what I found hilarious about McFadyen's comments yesterday. The hypocrites that are today's politicians is mind-boggling...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah.. umm wasn't that almost exactly McFs plan for the NHL.. guarentee a loan for someone else to do it?

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Send a franchise to Churchill. That town (city-to-become) will thrive in the coming decades, and besides, with global warming, it'll be too hot in Winnipeg for ice rinks...
NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 17 231511

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

More positive vibes...
Stephen Brunt

Published on Tuesday, Mar. 30, 2010 10:07PM EDT Last updated on Wednesday, Mar. 31, 2010 8:37AM EDT

It is not merely a romantic notion, though that it surely is.

Anyone who remembers the crowds gathered at the Forks, the Save the Jets rallies, the feeling that a city was a losing a little bit of its soul when it lost its hockey team, has to be moved by the possibility that the ex-Jets might be coming home.

The fact is, there were all kinds of good, cold, logical reasons why the National Hockey League left Winnipeg back in 1996. The arena was too old and too small, player salaries were escalating, the cost of doing business would only get steeper, and the kind of government investment which would have been required to keep the franchise in town was unjustifiable.

Simply put, the NHL was outgrowing places like Winnipeg. Its destiny lay in much larger markets to the south. The Jets were an anomaly – a leftover from the old World Hockey Association – and if big-league professional hockey were starting afresh, the city, like Edmonton, wouldn't have ever had a team. What was happening was sad, but it was also inevitable, a function of evolution.

And now, the fact is there are all kinds of good, cold, logical reasons why Gary Bettman and the NHL might desperately need to get back to Winnipeg, ASAP.

Nostalgia, sentiment has nothing to do with it. Just as it did in ‘96, it all comes down to the numbers.

After fighting off the hostile takeover bid from Jim Balsillie last year, the NHL paid $140-million to buy the Coyotes in bankruptcy court. The league estimated operating losses for this season at $20-million, and even if that figure was a bit optimistic given the team's recent red-ink history, the ‘Yotes surprising on-ice success this year and the possibility of a playoff run could considerably improve the bottom line.

But the problem is, no one on Earth right now believes that a hockey team in the desert is worth anything close to $160-million. And maintaining franchise value – as much as the considerable haircut the league would have to endure if it sold the team far below that price to either the Ice Edge group or (more likely) Jerry Reinsdorf – has got to be making the NHL governors think twice about their commitment to keeping the Coyotes where they are.

With the Tampa Bay Lightning having recently sold for something less than $100-million (it's hard to divine the exact price of the team in a deal that also included its arena), and with the true value of franchises in struggling markets heading toward pre-lockout values, there have to be some nervous owners around right now – both those who have already, quietly put their teams on the block (there are several), and those who are dealing with nervous bankers.

In that context, Winnipeg starts to look a whole lot more attractive than it once did. Other than Southern Ontario – which, because of the Leafs' and Sabres' territorial claims, remains problematic – there aren't any other options for unloading a team quickly. (Talk Kansas City or Las Vegas or Seattle all you want – until an owner-and-arena combination surfaces in any of those places, they're pipe dreams.) The NHL can walk away from the Glendale lease at the end of this season, and presumably, the team could be playing in the MTS Centre come October.

It's not a perfect solution. Winnipeg would be the smallest market in the league, the arena's seating capacity is worrisome, and the minute the Canadian dollar begins to dip, the same old issues are going to resurface. But given the fact that there appears to be deep-pocketed potential owners (Mark Chipman and David Thomson) ready and willing to make a deal at a price that would take the NHL off the hook and prop up franchise value, you'd have to wonder if there's a better place to be.

Some people, claiming to be in the know, say it's all but a done deal. Other people, claiming to be in the know, say it's nothing close, that all of the Winnipeg talk is merely a ploy to force the city fathers of Glendale into offering up huge concessions to an owner willing to keep the Coyotes there.

What's certain is that anyone hoping to repatriate the Jets would be well advised to play the game discreetly and diplomatically, to curry favour with the commissioner, to be the anti-Balsillie.

Here's betting that's exactly what's going on, and that given the league's tumbling dominos, it is no longer a matter of if, but when.

Bark and Bite

Bark and Bite

Yes it might work better now that the owner has control over the concessions .

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I wonder if there would be a "transfer fee" to the league if an existing NHL team was transferred back to Winnipeg. NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 17 Icon_question
To sort of help the league recover any losses they have been covering for the last couple of years.

Anonymous

Nay it goe,s into Bettmans pension fund

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Coyotes sale to Reinsdorf dead, team headed to Winnipeg?

The sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Chicago businessman Jerry Reinsdorf appears to be dead, and this increases chances the team might be moved to Winnipeg.

f Glendale does not agree to the league's conditions, it is possible the NHL will instead move quickly to make a deal with True North and move the team to Winnipeg. Canadian billionaire David Thomson is one of its partners.

Sources tell ESPN.com there is a purchase agreement ready if the Glendale situation disintegrates.

Anonymous

And the weather turned out nice again didn,t it .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

More good news. Patience folks. Winnipeg will one day again enjoy NHL hockey.

Anonymous

Was the deal-breaker in Phoenix the fact that in that State, no public money can go to a private business?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Don't know. If that is the case it will scuttle the Ice Edge offer as well.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

You have no idea how anxious I am right now. This IS like the second coming of Jesus Christ for me! NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 17 Icon_biggrin

Anonymous

Did you pee your pants just a little?

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Just a little, but I had to go anyways NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 17 Icon_wink

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

A friend of mine who resides in the US and is involved with the NHL has his status as The Jets are coming home! We shall soon see....

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Just what the Doctor ordered this time of year....during what's turning out to be a pretty good playoff year.....the Phoenix franchise clusterf*ck continues....

Honestly, can't we just terminate that franchise altogether? Would anyone really mind? Would anyone really notice?

The league could do very will without having to pickup the tab. The other sunshine teams may actually break even then! (well, probably not...)

Then wait a few years, and bring in a new team to a market that deserves it and can fully support it. If that's Winnipeg, then so be it. But at least end this ridiculousness..

And on that front, isn't it about time the NHL owners did a review of Bettman's handling of this franchise? I'm not talking about just the most recent debacle, the whole thing..way back to 96, it's the same franchise that's been bungled since the team was torn out of it's original home. On this file, Bettman's been a epic failure IMO.

[end rant]

ok, back to wild, unsubstantiated "Yoties back to WPG" speculation.... NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 17 Icon_razz

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JT Estoban wrote:Honestly, can't we just terminate that franchise altogether? Would anyone really mind? Would anyone really notice?
Bite your tongue. The Jets belong to Winnipeg. Bring them home. Do it now.

That is all.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

I've got to admit, this latest round of news speculation has got my pulse flying higher than it usually does when I hear these things!

It may not happen, but if we were to adopt the Doomsday Clock to the Jets' return, I bet we're the closest to midnight we've been since the team left!

I'm hoping against hope that this comes true!

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

I would be first in line to buy season tickets. And I know 20 guys who would try to get there ahead of me. This will be a smashing success when it comes together.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

In fact - a box might be the way to go. 12 peeps at $10k each would do it. The ultimate Sandbox - who's in?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I can't afford it... I'm too busy running red lights and speeding in order to lessen the tax burden on all Manitoban's.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yes you can Grumpy. The first order of the Manitoba Party will be to institute a Willful Ignorance law punishable by unreasonably high fines - to teach them a lesson (that type seems to believe that concept so let's take them for what we can). With that properly in place - people like Pavlov will subsidize our Box. So I'll take your desire as affirmitive.

Next up we will introduce private insurance to Manitoba.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Check out tsn.ca.

The jets are the big news story - just seeing this image gave me goosebumps.
NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 17 Jetst

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum