the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canwest may be bankrupt...

+10
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
Electrician
jimj_wpg
rosencrentz
grumpyrom
Time Lord
SMW
FlyingRat
Deank
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:45 am

Electrician

general-contributor
general-contributor

Then there's the other problem...
Big corporations that buy out smaller ones and close them down...
This happens every day.
The main problem is that those small companies usually are getting along quite well, then, once the sell is history, so is the company, along with all the jobs...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

27Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:00 am

Anonymous

Yes it seems like to few are controlling to much .

28Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:20 am

Anonymous

grumpyrom wrote:Why would we need to care about "them"? Is there something the Asper's have done for me that I'm unaware of? They run a media empire and their head office happens to be in Winnipeg, they could run it out of Toronto and it wouldn't really impact my life one bit nor put much of a dent in the local economy. According to their website they have 8800 full time employees company wide, but how many are in Winnipeg?

Really I think we give them too much credit because we feel they're somehow more important than they really are. If they had 1500 well paid employees in Winnipeg on the chopping block, maybe I'd give a damn.
It appears that some people are not into the Asper Kool-aid.

Imo, the only thing the Aspers have done to me is attempt to get their hands on my money through taxes.

Want to build a monument to Daddy, do it with your own money...er wait...maybe they're running out of it eh. Smile

29Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/null-39914147.html

"
The Globe - a direct competitor of Canwest's National Post and belongs to a larger media group that competes with Global Television - reported that potential investors want the Asper family to give up its voting control in exchange for any cash investment.
Other requirements could include Asper exiting his role as CEO and the family giving up their dual-class share structure that gives them control of the company"

30Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Anonymous

I wouldn't even buy into the problem at .36 per share (current trade) until the Aspers are out. They don't have the ability to run the company any longer....actually it appears that they never did.

31Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The Asper's will not move their head office to Toronto. They have and are committed to Winnipeg. There have been many stories on this topic. They have offices in Toronto, because that is where the "action" is.
David moved there many years ago and bought a castle there, but I believe he has sold it and moved back to "my street", although in a slightly bigger house, as he entertains, while I do not !
Laughing

http://www.elansofas.com

32Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:46 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

33 cents for stock- what was it in good times?

33Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:45 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

$6.50ish

34Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:05 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I wanted to buy a 1000 shares, cause I had $350 left over, but I have to buy my wife 2 cartons of cigarettes for $180, and gas for our 2 vehicles, so there goes my only investment idea for Spring time!

35Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:47 am

Anonymous

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Feds-consider-relief-for-private-TV-networks-41455637.html

Appears some of what the industry has been asking for years is maybe going to happen , Maybe the money could come from the vacum called the CBC.

36Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:26 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

We need to put the brakes on these bailouts. Where does it end? I especially abhor the notion of a media bailout. And turn off the friggen taps at the CBC already.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

37Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:04 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I dont understand how anyone can need a bail out. Especially media. Not selling enough to cover costs? Reduce costs.

38Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am

Anonymous

JTF sorta tounge an cheek

39Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:19 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Seems Canwest has bought some time...

RITA TRICHUR, Toronto Star, BUSINESS REPORTER
With files from Chris Sorensen and The Canadian Press

Canwest Global Communications Corp. struck a deal with its lenders late yesterday to extend a waiver of certain borrowing conditions – a critical extension that allows the debt-laden media company to inch closer to fashioning a recapitalization strategy.

In doing so, bankers have also agreed to provide Canada's largest media company with additional access to much-needed credit. Canwest said that liquidity boost should allow it to "operate normally" over the next two weeks.

40Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:31 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It is so simple! Cann't we read the message?
"FASHION A RECAPITALIZATION STRATEGY"
That is exactly what I would do if I was running out of money! I am doing that right now, and it works just great!
I would love to get a liquidity boost to operate" normally" for 2 weeks!
What a load of manure! Why would anyone even publish this? What a waste of paper and ink.

41Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:06 am

Anonymous

Clement just said that nobody is too big to fail. I hope Harper feels the same way.
...or...perhaps the Askers have their own private trough in Ottawa.

42Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:34 am

Anonymous

Yea just like the rest of the companies needing the bail outs .

43Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:37 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Why dont the aspers put their own money back into the company? You know, sell some houses, sell some land, sell some businesses? Dump all that money into the company?

44Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:57 am

Anonymous

I don't know ask the owners of GM

45Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:04 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The owners of GM are for the most part me and you and every other little pension plan and mutual fund guy out there.

46Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:06 am

Anonymous

Yes but we are not the Majority stockholders and who ever is is the owner .

47Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:13 am

Anonymous

Well were at it maybe those that use the sports programs in this city , should pay more of the real costs so I don't have to subsidise it . Face it taxes are used for some purposes that some or all might disagree with , but to attack the persons is not fair . They have a payroll in this city that would never be replaced by someone else . Soon

48Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Breakdown for GM Shareholders:

BREAKDOWN

% of Shares Held by All Insider and 5% Owners:
0%
% of Shares Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners:
49%
% of Float Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners:
49%
Number of Institutions Holding Shares:

http://www.photage.ca

49Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

seems to me that its the little guy that owns GM.

50Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:41 am

Anonymous

Yes AIG is the little guy, they have a big chunk .

51Canwest may be bankrupt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:08 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Today, the company is worth $25 million!
Can the Aspers save their own company? Will they chip in their own money? Will Harper discuss it with the family while he's in town?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum