the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canwest may be bankrupt...

+10
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
Electrician
jimj_wpg
rosencrentz
grumpyrom
Time Lord
SMW
FlyingRat
Deank
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:03 am

Anonymous

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSTRE51B65A20090212

Looks like the Empire is dead.

How much did the Askers pledge toward the Holocaust Museum aka Human Left Monument?

2Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:10 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

anyone want to go halvies on one of those stations they have for sale?

Say $5 each? for a bid of $10?

3Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:15 am

Anonymous

I might just buy a few hundred shares and paper my basement toilet with them....that would be one hellava' hoot. Very Happy

4Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:17 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I thought paper shares went the way of the dodo bird some time last year?

5Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:18 am

Anonymous

I didn't know that.

6Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:24 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Next on CKND... the Dean and Jimmy show!

7Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:29 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I am not sure of it but seem to recall reading somethign from Morgan Stanley about it and some sort of reference to it being law or some such.

8Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

FlyingRat wrote:Next on CKND... the Dean and Jimmy show!
That would be so awesome...I would not have to type all my random wonderings... i could just blurt them out across the airwaves

9Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:38 am

Anonymous

Finally, I could be behind a desk and not wear PANTS.

10Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:39 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

they JTF and DEANK NP show!

And whenever someone asks what does NP stand for, we just giggle

11Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:44 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:they JTF and DEANK NP show!

And whenever someone asks what does NP stand for, we just giggle

No Pants? lol!

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

12Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Anonymous

That's hillarious!!
:party 003: :party 003: :party 003:

13Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Anonymous

We could dress up like Natalie and Ronnie...on second thought....never mind.

14Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

Remind me of the Blue Bomber deal. Seems to me that involved someone called Asper.

Any bets bankruptcy will leave a lot of folks broke, none of them named Asper.

http://www.jacsport.com

15Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:18 pm

Anonymous

I find it Ironic that there is so much venom for a Winnipeg empire to bad none of you , have ever taken the chance to do it build a empire and manage it . Yes there have been mistakes but this city will pay if it fails jobs and payroll and mentions in the world news .

To bad so many are so cruel to the work this family has put in .

16Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:08 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

On the surface it would appear that it was "daddy" that put the real work in. It's a shame that very little will be left of his legacy. It's not really atypical though, self-made man builds empire....kids drive it into the ground once he's gone. I think it's happened once or twice before in history.

17Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:38 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Yes there have been mistakes but this city will pay if it fails jobs and payroll and mentions in the world news .
"

you mean the jobs that have already been shipped out? or a couple of more?

18Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:18 am

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:It's not really atypical though, self-made man builds empire....kids drive it into the ground once he's gone. I think it's happened once or twice before in history.

The Eatons come to mind Good Post!

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

19Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:47 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Canwest cannot go out of business, as they owe the Banks too much money! They may sell off losing companies, and get into bankruptcy protection, but they will be OK!

http://www.elansofas.com

20Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:00 pm

Anonymous

Airt Mattrèssor wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:It's not really atypical though, self-made man builds empire....kids drive it into the ground once he's gone. I think it's happened once or twice before in history.

The Eatons come to mind Good Post!
Bronfman's Seagram's also.

Now...the Richardson's on the other hand....

21Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:48 pm

Anonymous

Not to say it hasn't just that this affects this city and we seem to laugh at it , the others did not affect us as much. Think like Rosen says I think they will come back and probaly move to Toronto, as they owe us nothing as we seem to care less about them .

Last edited by Pavolo on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

22Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:48 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Why would we need to care about "them"? Is there something the Asper's have done for me that I'm unaware of? They run a media empire and their head office happens to be in Winnipeg, they could run it out of Toronto and it wouldn't really impact my life one bit nor put much of a dent in the local economy. According to their website they have 8800 full time employees company wide, but how many are in Winnipeg?

Really I think we give them too much credit because we feel they're somehow more important than they really are. If they had 1500 well paid employees in Winnipeg on the chopping block, maybe I'd give a damn.

23Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:55 am

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

People like their television stations to have a local feel. I think Canwest Global made some mistakes in the past few years, chief among them were too much reliance on the Global brand. We remember the station here as CKND....

Canwest may be bankrupt... 180px-CKND5
SOURCE: Image from Wikipedia

Perhaps what we had in CJAY/CKY and CTV... When we saw local programming it was branded as CJAY/CKY and when it was network-wide programming it was branded as CTV.

Same thing goes for the CBC television stations. The local O&O stations like CBWT used to identify themselves by their callsign and later by CBC Manitoba. Now they're just CBC.

Television stations have to re-invest in good quality (not like 'SHAW tv' trash) local programming, aside from the local newscast again. We want that.

Roll back the over homogenization of televison and the viewers will come back.

Maybe Pavolo (David Asper?) could respond to this.

24Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:16 am

Anonymous

Well I do agree with you it seems to be the way everything is going now . The feeling of local is hard to find as corporations cut cost and infurstructure . Welcome to the global economy .
Maybe he will never know .

25Canwest may be bankrupt... Empty Re: Canwest may be bankrupt... Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:45 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Then there's the other problem...
Big corporations that buy out smaller ones and close them down...
This happens every day.
The main problem is that those small companies usually are getting along quite well, then, once the sell is history, so is the company, along with all the jobs...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum