the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz!

+14
Jondo
Sourpuss
Freeman
USApegger
Electrician
EdWin
justmythoughts
Bretton Woods
rosencrentz
Outsider
MrMyles
grumpy old man
Stonekiller
Deank
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

justmythoughts

A sobering column from the Freep this morning.

West Edmonton Water Park : 217,000 sq.ft. -- 23 slides

Niagara Falls Park : 125,000 sq.ft. --- 16 slides

Canada Inns Splashers Grand Forks : 40,000 square feet : ----- 4 slides.... yep that's 4.

our "park" will be 25% larger so I'll guess we'll 5 or 6 whole slides maybe 7 if they cram them in there nice and tight.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Sobering?

Ummm, we all realize this is just a waterpark don't we? Let's all try to use a little perspective here.

The SIZE of the waterpark is one thing. The possibly inappropriate use of that space is another.

Let's all write a letter or send an email to the elected Winnipeg councillor that represents you. Let them know you are not happy.

justmythoughts

justmythoughts

Size of the "park" aside..... the Forks is surely a poor location for this hotel/motel.

Sammy complains that he'll lose parking space for his precious Goldeyes. However.... visiting teams will need a place to stay for 50+ nights a season.

Perhaps Canalta has been told they'll see ball teams stay at their new hotel for 50 nights a year. Maybe not good for the Inn at the Forks but great for Canalta and even better for Sammy.

cough (kickback) cough

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I really doubt the ball teams are staying at inn at the forks. Too expensive.

30won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:48 am

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

I wrote every councillor on EPC and my own (Orlikow who is against this)

I am absolutely against the small water park and that hotel chain going there. I am against giving out the passes for those that can't afford it (they used public money for the MTS Centre, anyone getting free Jets tickets)

Build a massive water park over by Ikea, would love to see condo, townhouses, walk up apartments filling up those parking lots, perhaps another hotel, but a higher class hotel than a Super 8 or whatever piece of junk is proposed for there

31won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

USApegger wrote:I wrote every councillor on EPC and my own (Orlikow who is against this)

I am absolutely against the small water park and that hotel chain going there. I am against giving out the passes for those that can't afford it (they used public money for the MTS Centre, anyone getting free Jets tickets)

Build a massive water park over by Ikea, would love to see condo, townhouses, walk up apartments filling up those parking lots, perhaps another hotel, but a higher class hotel than a Super 8 or whatever piece of junk is proposed for there
Great post! Good Post!

32won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

apparently... The hotel going up near IKEA is already scheduled to have a significant water park...

Hows that for nuts?

33won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

justmythoughts wrote:A sobering column from the Freep this morning.

Canada Inns Splashers Grand Forks : 40,000 square feet : ----- 4 slides.... yep that's 4.

our "park" will be 25% larger so I'll guess we'll 5 or 6 whole slides maybe 7 if they cram them in there nice and tight.

My interpretation of this comment is:
The proposed water park will not be a tourist draw for people from other provinces or our southern neighbours because it will be too small to compete..

34won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:apparently... The hotel going up near IKEA is already scheduled to have a significant water park...

Hows that for nuts?
So Winnipeg is going to go from 0 water parks to 2.
Yes, this is definitely confusing.

35won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

make more sense to give the 7 million to the IKEA one so they can make theirs even bigger eh?

36won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:22 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Outsider wrote:
justmythoughts wrote:A sobering column from the Freep this morning.

My interpretation of this comment is:
The proposed water park will not be a tourist draw for people from other provinces or our southern neighbours because it will be too small to compete..
Who cares? If the private sector does not believe the expanded market will provide the scale to build a water park then it won't happen.

I just can't see why a water park, no matter the size, is such a lightening rod.

37won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

kids is the reason

trust me. With nary a water slide around the pools are pretty boring. With that said.. 7 million would be able to put in some decent water slides at the existing pools

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

As there is another, much larger water park planned for SOT, perhaps this will be the deal-killer for that sham of a Shammy Katz water park deal.

I will be praying for this very outcome.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I hope so. But there is less then one week to convince the council to NOT spend the money on a foolish thing like a hotel and water feature there. I sincerely doubt that will happen.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

so.. as I was tossing and turning last night I was thinking.. WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE!!!... those 235 days that are not blacked out for the "free passes". MOST of them will be Monday to Friday.

Hands up anyone who thinks that the passes will be used Monday to Thursday? Hands up anyone who thinks that its even possible to wait for the kids to get home from school, (you maybe from work) eat supper... hop a bus dowtown.... and somehow enjoy an evening at the waterpark with school the next day?

So.. Lets then say MOST of the 75 passes per day wont be used Moday to Thursday... and given blackout days on weekends.. we are talking over 300 FREE passes being used per day on the weekends that are not "blacked out". Dont leave much room for many other people does it?

justmythoughts

justmythoughts

Deank wrote:so.. as I was tossing and turning last night I was thinking.. WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE!!!... those 235 days that are not blacked out for the "free passes". MOST of them will be Monday to Friday.

Hands up anyone who thinks that the passes will be used Monday to Thursday? Hands up anyone who thinks that its even possible to wait for the kids to get home from school, (you maybe from work) eat supper... hop a bus dowtown.... and somehow enjoy an evening at the waterpark with school the next day?

So.. Lets then say MOST of the 75 passes per day wont be used Moday to Thursday... and given blackout days on weekends.. we are talking over 300 FREE passes being used per day on the weekends that are not "blacked out". Dont leave much room for many other people does it?

I checked out the water park in GF a couple years back. Not to use the facility but just to look around. I can tell you that there were around 150-200 people using the park and it was jam packed. Mostly just adults watching their kids.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

what is startling is that the original request from the city was not only minimum 60K sq feet (instead of 50) but that it MUST be able to handle 600 people.

I wonder if they will have a CAP on the number of free passes per day used? How then will some of the free passes ever be used? And if they dont... will anyone even want to stay in the hotel with the water feature being so packed all the time?

43won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:59 am

justmythoughts

justmythoughts

Here's an image of the Grand Forks version. Not sure exactly how much of the entire park is shown in the image but this would look very crowded with 200 people.

If anyone has other images of this place.... I'd like to see them..

http://www.canadinns.com/play/play.php?entry_id=9444

44won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:17 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

They really need to take a step back and think about this.. from a real perspective, not just numbers.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I wrote my Councillor. He responded that not only was he against it, he'd be voting NO. It's not too late to do something if you are against this use of the Forks.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/water-park-vote-makes-waves-148478655.html

Mayes, Brian
I am opposed to the development at the Forks.
I actually am not on EPC (committee) and therefore had no vote. I plan to vote “no” when it comes to Council this coming Wednesday, Brian

46won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 2 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:04 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Mr Mayes spoke up quite well at EPC and brought a number of good ideas to them. They did not even attempt to listen, even to his request of HEY.. just give as 60 days to actually think about it.

justmythoughts

justmythoughts

According to the manager at Splashers... the "park" can comfortably hold 930 people.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL, obviously their definition of comfortably is vastly different then mine.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I love the repor that tells us a 100,000 square foot park is "world class", and our proposed 50,000 sq ft doesn't have that rating! lol

I think the one in Fargo is bigger than the proposed one in Wpg? But Fargo has ,105,000 residents compared to our 45,000.

http://www.elansofas.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have counted only the ones that spend money!

http://www.elansofas.com

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

my councillors response

April 18, 2012, Councillor Orlikow today asked the Executive Policy Committee to rescind the $7 million in public funding from the Water Park proposal and allocate those dollars equally between Wards to enhance recreational opportunities."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum