the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz!

+14
Jondo
Sourpuss
Freeman
USApegger
Electrician
EdWin
justmythoughts
Bretton Woods
rosencrentz
Outsider
MrMyles
grumpy old man
Stonekiller
Deank
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Empty won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The poor dear is so hard done by with the proposed water park and hotel going up next to the ball park. Its just terrible terrible terrible what might happen to the goldeyes

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Katz-recuses-himself-from-water-park-vote-147770235.html

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Thats rather snide. He has a point the property will no longer be available for parking for his business, sure there is other offshoots of the hotel/waterpark, whatever he isn't voting on it regardless.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Did sammy believe that lot would remain undeveloped in perpetuity? What was his long term vision re parking when that plot went away?

He should have known he was going to lose it (or he could of bought it?) and thus had a plan B ready.

No sympathy here for sammy.

MrMyles

MrMyles
contributor
contributor

I might be missing something. Are they talking about the empty lot across the street from the park, and across from the HRM?

If so, how could they charge for parking there during games if they do not own it?
Or is it another company charging for parking during games only?

http://www.creativecompulsions.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I believe the Goldeyes lease the land for the parking lot. If'n I'm not mistaken there was something of a firestorm about that as well...

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I wonder if this will affect parking for the new museum.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the city charges for parking on it

how much of a hit will that be to the pockets?

But this thread was more about the fact that BULLSHIT! is what I call on the mayor saying.. oh noes... parking for goldeyes... this will impact me very badly..

NOT

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The Museum won't need any parking any time soon! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Bretton Woods

Bretton Woods

Who the hell thought of this stupid water park plan. Stupid Shammy. This lots should be used for high rise condos.

10won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:03 am

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Obviously there is a demand for this project otherwise people wouldn't be tossing huge wads of cash at it. There are plenty of street level parking lots that could be easily turned into High Rise mixed residential with commercial space on the bottom levels.

At some point there is going to be a surge of demand for a decent sized grocery store, like Sobey's or whatever in the heart of downtown.

11won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:16 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I would be all for a HUGE mixed used retail/residential/waterpark/commercial space/ parking garage on that spot. say... 20+ stories? the first story used for retail. (the attached parking garage first story used for an open air market in spring summer fall)stories 3 to 5 used for a hotel 6 through 10 used for commercial space and 11 and up used for residential. Use the top story for an observation area/community centre type thing.

(with the water park a separate building off to the side and about 100K sq feet in ssize)

12won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:35 am

justmythoughts

justmythoughts

One of the most attractive pieces of property set for prime development and we hand it over for a glorified Super 8 Motel with a two bit water park. The folks on the skyscraper page are tearing this project to shreds. Find a picture of some other water parks Canalta has developed
and you'll find them no better (or worse) than the one in Grand Forks.

An architectural masterpiece sitting beside a half-assed motel and water park where the poor can go for free. Safe to guess the hotel guests won't use the "water park" once they see what they're up against.

13won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:43 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The discussion at EPC right now indicates that there will be around 30 blackout days where the free passes cant be used.

Thats ridiculous. lets see... 30 blackout days... hmm.. almost every saturday in a year? you know.. the day that most peeps will be able to go?

14won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:44 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and EPC just said lets move forward on this.

15won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

My condolences to all the citizens of Winnipeg. This is truly a sad day. The leadership in that city is not only inept, but clearly corrupt. And if you are reading this, Mr. Mayor, that is right. You are a corrupt sorry-a$$ piece of scum with no morals or scrupals whatsover. No wonder your wife left you.

A glorified low-budget chain hotel with a kiddie pool...............AT THE FORKS!

It doesn't get worse that this. Winnipeg truly has the worst city council in the country.

16won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I hope and pray that there will be mounds of protests to discourage this development. In a city ripe with NIMBY's, I can't see why this can't be accomplished.

Corrupt city council........................all of them.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Again if this property is so desirable, why aren't other developers clammouring to build there?

I agree that the location chosen for this isn't very appropriate. I would rather see what Dean suggested, mixed Use, high rise, Mix of Commercial/Hotel, and Residential. That whole area would be amazing if there was that many more people there. The forks would be insanely busy especially the market areas.

The city council should be consistent in ensuring that property that is city owned is utilized in a way that benefits the area. I have no problem with a waterpark/hotel but it should be reflective of the surrounding area. It would seem rather odd to have a Canad Inns style hotel in the same vicinity of The Inn at the forks which is a nice hotel.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Again if this property is so desirable, why aren't other developers clammouring to build there?"

Because no one was told it was available.

Thats one of the problems with this. Its a deal out of left field that every other developer was blind sided by. You can be certain that IF everyone was told this parcel of land was in play AND you would get 7mil to build a waterpark of 50k SQ feet. the bids would FAR in excess of 6 million. Likely 9 or so.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Take a look at the land property tax in that whole area, then you'll know why nobody stepped in before...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

I'm sure if another investor came to the city and said I want to buy that land, and put something better there, the city wouldn't hesitate to sell.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

all the developers thought it was designated as non purchasable.

Bretton Woods

Bretton Woods

Very sad day for the City of Winnipeg.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

This is what has been happening in Winnipeg for many years now. I don't think selling that land is urgent. The city should put a halt to this and let the market know the land is available and please put forward development proposals.

Before the museum was on that site a water park might have been a great spot. Now? Not so much. At least a rinky-dink water park is undesirable.

Take the g-d $7 million off the table. If a water park cannot be developed without it then so be it.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

7 million should be enough to cover the kildonan park and make it year round useable.

justmythoughts

justmythoughts

A sobering column from the Freep this morning.

West Edmonton Water Park : 217,000 sq.ft. -- 23 slides

Niagara Falls Park : 125,000 sq.ft. --- 16 slides

Canada Inns Splashers Grand Forks : 40,000 square feet : ----- 4 slides.... yep that's 4.

our "park" will be 25% larger so I'll guess we'll 5 or 6 whole slides maybe 7 if they cram them in there nice and tight.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum