the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz!

+14
Jondo
Sourpuss
Freeman
USApegger
Electrician
EdWin
justmythoughts
Bretton Woods
rosencrentz
Outsider
MrMyles
grumpy old man
Stonekiller
Deank
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

101won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:47 pm

USApegger

contributor
contributor

From Kives twitter: Havixbeck said she believes Canalta deal is dead. Said company won't want to spend $200K on designs, plans & consultations.

I see, so we were supposed to just take their word for it that it would all be okie dokie?

102won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:"I'm not sure what Sammy was crying about for parking though. I thought
part of the plan was to have a multi-level parkade included? Or was
that something I misheard?"

Sammy never started crying until there was massive public backlash and all of a sudden (in less then 24 hours from one statement to the next) "he was advised that for legal reasons he should recuse himself"

No, I heard the day they announced the waterpark that Sammy was crying that the parking lot would be lost...and "where would people park for Goldeyes games?"

But then recused himself of later due to possible conflict.

But my point there was...I thought a parkade was part of the original plan? Though not till phase 2 or 3?

http://www.photage.ca

103won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:50 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

USApegger wrote:Wow, that idiot Swandel just said something along the lines of the council should show respect to Canalta and give them time to present their plans, renederings etc.

So, Swandel sits on EPC, votes this thing to move forward for a fast approval in council and when it doesn't happen he says we need to respect Canalta, the company that is taking 7 million of taxpayer moeny??

Well...to be fair there..I'm not listening/watching...but I think the committee should have to at least "hear/see" the plans if CanALTA is ready to present them. But I think any group that's ready to present something and has made it to committee should be heard too.

http://www.photage.ca

104won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:56 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I believe the whole problem with the proposal put forward was the complete lack of details, including what the hotel would look like and the branding of the hotel. Ditto the water park aspect of it.

This is just the wrong place for the water park.

105won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:"I'm not sure what Sammy was crying about for parking though. I thought
part of the plan was to have a multi-level parkade included? Or was
that something I misheard?"

Sammy never started crying until there was massive public backlash and all of a sudden (in less then 24 hours from one statement to the next) "he was advised that for legal reasons he should recuse himself"

No, I heard the day they announced the waterpark that Sammy was crying that the parking lot would be lost...and "where would people park for Goldeyes games?"

But then recused himself of later due to possible conflict.

But my point there was...I thought a parkade was part of the original plan? Though not till phase 2 or 3?
he was definitely not bemoaning the loss of parking on day 1

106won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"..but I think the committee should have to at least "hear/see" the plans if CanALTA is ready to present them."

There are not plans to see.

107won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:07 pm

justmythoughts

justmythoughts

I had no idea Havixbeck was such an complete idiot.

bkives: Havixbeck said she believes Canalta deal is dead. Said company won't want to spend $200K on designs, plans & consultations

So Canalta wants to spend 75M to build this thing but paying another 200K so the city can do it's proper due diligence... "will kill the deal" according to Paula.

Tells me all I need to know about Canalta... if what Paula said is true.

108won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Easy solution.

City grants them a 200K tax deduction to repay the costs if the design ends up being good enough to pass when it does come to council

also.. yeah.. 75 million they will spend and they wont spend 200k to make sure its done?
I am fairly sure some of these peeps have been at business lunches that cost close to that amount.

109won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:28 pm

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

I am extremely disappointed with Katz over this entire thing. I think he must shake about the EPC, demote Swandel, Paula and (they are just a bunch of artsie fartsies Wyatt)

110won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nah. There will be a shake up.. but not like you are thinking.

111won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

SAM, Fix the roads and repair our crumbling infrastructure Take that 7 million and reduce my taxes or start fixing broken stuff.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

112won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 9:54 am

justmythoughts

justmythoughts

The Black Rod really put this whole water park fiasco on the table. Shame not everyone will get a chance to read it.

The 700K for the "poor" to use the water park is intended to be distributed with 20,000 passes per year. The works out to $35.00 a pop. The park in GF only charges $16.00. Can't see many locals forking over $35.00 for this "park" that's only going to be slight bigger.

More fun can be read here.

http://blackrod.blogspot.ca/

113won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 9:59 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"The 700K for the "poor" to use the water park is intended to be
distributed with 20,000 passes per year. The works out to $35.00 a pop.
The park in GF only charges $16.00. Can't see many locals forking
over $35.00 for this "park" that's only going to be slight bigger."

all points I raised in the freep comment section.

114won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 10:36 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What is the black rod going on about with regards to the location? As far as I'm concerned that WHOLE area is the Forks.

That's about all that "controversy" is worth...

115won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

meh.. it all stems from one of the EPC people saying.. ITS NOT THE FORKS!!!! at EPC.. and then other people saying.. well it obviously is the forks because its part of the Forks management area.

hell the Museum is at the forks... http://humanrightsmuseum.ca/building-museum/-museum-detail

so how exactly is this not?

I call issue with black rods interpretation of the forks as the area he shades in blue. Well if you really want to get technical.. its actually just the part where the rivers meet so his argument is then out the window too.

him including that little bit in his argument is moronic at best, and at worst.. included as some form of deception.

116won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 11:29 am

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

The Black Rod covered it all. I recommend the history of the bidding process on water parks. Reading it makes me cringe. Why on Earth we see the need to politicize porivate developments is beyond me. It seems all developers want to ensure that if their project is built then nobody else's will be.

Here are the highlights:

But after a personal request from a trusted reader to try and make sense
out of the mess, we started collecting info. Then, on the weekend, the
debate lurched from farce into delusion, and we couldn't turn away
from the train wreck they call City Hall.

So....in no particular order, here's what we uncovered:

* the land in question is nowhere near The Forks (or what everybody knows to be The Forks)

* CentreVenture may have kiboshed an offer of a better water park three years ago

* Admission to the proposed water park would be $35 a head, for children at least

* They call it " one of the most valuable pieces of publicly owned
property in Winnipeg", but we're paying a million dollars to a
developer to take it off our hands

* The Winnipeg Free Press continues to rewrite history as far as the Aspers are concerned.

117won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 11:53 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I read all that and talked about it online when it happened. Wink.

118won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 1:34 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Where is a $35 entrance fee discussed? I don't believe that any one will pay $35 for a waterslide!

http://www.elansofas.com

119won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 1:40 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Why do we automatically blame Katz, when he has 1 vote out of 15?

Here is a good thing that has happened, $965,000 available for renovations to Community Centres, this year, with a maximum of $50,000 per Centre.

WOW, isn't Mayor Katz wonderful?

http://www.elansofas.com

120won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 3:01 pm

justmythoughts

justmythoughts

rosencrentz wrote:Where is a $35 entrance fee discussed? I don't believe that any one will pay $35 for a waterslide!

20,000 "free" passes valued at 700K.... $35.00 each straight from my calculator.

121won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Could that be a family pass? That would seem likely unless it was indicated otherwise.

122won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Wed May 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no one knows since no details were given out. All we can do is guess.

123won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu May 03, 2012 9:08 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So, why is the city involved in this anyway? Are they hotel experts? Are they waterpark experts?

If someone thinks that a waterpark is a good business venture, then let them go to it. If they need public money, then I guess it isn't a good deal, so don't do it.

Every time theres an idea or a discussion about some new venture in this city, the cry goes out about the "less fortunate." How about they get a job at the hotel or waterpark or whatever, then they can pay the price of admission.

Such is the world.

124won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu May 03, 2012 9:17 am

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Freeman wrote:So, why is the city involved in this anyway?

I am confused.
On one hand it seems the city is trying to get out of the golf course business which is recreation.

On the other hand they seem to want to get into the waterpark business which is also recreation. scratch

125won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! - Page 5 Empty Re: won't someone PLEASE think of Sam Katz! Thu May 03, 2012 9:36 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Precisely, and millions still gets pumped into an outdated and inadequate community centre system, but public funding is needed for a waterpark. What next?

Does anyone think that the city has the expertise in any of these enterprises? If they do, then those folks should quit their high paying city jobs, which provide for no layoffs, massive benefits, and a fully indexed defined benefit pension with a generous early retirement option and go into the private sector and run one? (did I just say something funny?)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum