the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Five Guys Burgers in May!

+12
Bartron
Sourpuss
JT Estoban
Miz point
Mantha
St Norberter
EdWin
AGEsAces
holly golightly
grumpy old man
Deank
sputnik
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 am

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

It was just a matter of time before it was official.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/five-guys-coming-to-city-115169934.html

Five Guys Burgers and Fries, which is planning to open as many as eight locations in the city, starting with three this spring, has a fan in U.S. President Barack Obama.

Ben Hernandez, managing partner of the Virginia-based chain's eight-month-old Brandon outlet, said he's hoping leases will be completed shortly on Kenaston Boulevard near McGillivray Boulevard, Pembina Highway near the University of Manitoba and in Transcona.

"We'll begin construction within the next couple of months and our target date for opening is mid-to-late May," he said.

2Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

any good?

3Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:15 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

I have heard good things from my friends in Calgary.

Five Guys Burgers in May! Img0016th

4Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I dunnoo.. if they are too lazy to peal the potatoes, not sure what that says about the rest of the meal.

5Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Considering the restaurants have no freezers (only coolers) and all of the extra toppings are free (except cheese and bacon) I would say that they aren't that lazy.

Besides, the BEST fries always have the skin on them (McDonalds notwithstanding).

6Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:23 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The PEEL is the best part of the potato!

7Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Why the caps GOM?

hehehehehe

but seriously ... fries with the skin on them taste dirty.

8Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:38 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Visited one of their locations in Fargo over the holidays and must admit I was impressed. I don't frequent greasy food places and only eat beef a few times a year. Burger was very good, can have any toppings you wish on them and the fries (even with the skin on) tasted pretty darn good. We shared a small regular style fries and a small cajun style fries and both were tasty. BUT I can see why Americans and to some extent Canadians are progressing to be the most obese countries in the world with the size and amount of food that is provided to each customer. Unless you ask specifically for a single patty burger, the norm at this location is a double patty. And if you just ask for a side of fries, it is the large version, you have to ask for the small size. Both my daughter and I took with us half of our burger and half of our fries as it was too much for one meal.

9Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

price?

10Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

There were 6 of us, and the bill came up to $70.00 US. Each of the other 4 people ordered the double burgers and the large fries while my daughter and I had the small burger and small fries each plus all of us had regular drinks (which are actually large bottomless). Not a bad price considering the beef is fresh, not premade/preformed and the fries are done fresh daily. The only problem that I can see is everything is done in peanut oil.

Here is their web site
http://www.fiveguys.com/home.aspx

11Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:15 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

holly golightly wrote: The only problem that I can see is everything is done in peanut oil.

Problem? How is that a problem?

Peanut oil tastes great.

12Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

not bad price I guess

13Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:16 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

sputnik wrote:
holly golightly wrote: The only problem that I can see is everything is done in peanut oil.

Peanut oil tastes great.

I don't have a problem but the peanut allergy police certainly will is what I was getting at.

As for the prices, yet pretty reasonable considering the product is far superior to a Rotten Ronnies burger or Wendy's at comparable prices.

14Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

holly golightly wrote:
sputnik wrote:

Peanut oil tastes great.

I don't have a problem but the peanut allergy police certainly will is what I was getting at.

Meh.

People with allergies can go somewhere else. Restaurants should not need to sacrifice their product for less than 0.5% of the population.

15Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I am in total agreement on that Sputnik. I have a daughter whose main source of protein happens to be derived from peanut butter so I have the opposite reaction to the peanut allergy police. If your child has a peanut allergy and s/he is the only one in a school of 350 kids, why should the rest suffer for 1? Why not have the child sit away as far as is possible from the kids who choose to eat peanut butter for lunch/snack and maybe over time the allergy will diminish to the point that it becomes a non issue. The same daughter had a severe allergy to penicillin (epi-pen allergic) as a child but over time and gradual exposure, her body adapted and the allergy no longer exists.

16Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I aint had fries done in peanut oil... Based on chips done in peanut oil, I can see this almost being enough to forgive the PEAL being left on.

17Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:I aint had fries done in peanut oil... Based on chips done in peanut oil, I can see this almost being enough to forgive the PEAL being left on.

I used to have respect for your fast food connoisseur level Dean...but his latest aversion to the PEEL being left on has shown a disturbing side of you.

The PEEL is absolutely the best part of the fries, or mashed, or diced, or any other way of serving potatoes. ALL places that serve fries should be required to leave the PEEL on.

http://www.photage.ca

18Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:fries with the skin on them taste dirty.

Really? Aside from McDonalds shoestring fries I cant think of a fry that tastes good without the peel.

The fries at places like Wendys, KFC and A&W have TERRIBLE fries. All of them are consistently dry and stale.

Compare that to something like NY Fries, Lankys, Dairy Wip, or VJs.

19Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:52 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Had a chance to try these guys out in Brandon last fall. Pretty good. Prices are higher, but you definately get what you pay for.
IMO though, I still prefer Juniors or Burger Factory, but I would still recommend Five Guys too.

20Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Any restaurant that makes fries from a real potato but peels the potato first are better.

21Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:54 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

if you want some pretty decent fries, try Fergie's Fish & Chips at the forks.

All cut on site and cooked fresh WITH THE PEEL.

If you like fish, it's a great place for that too.

http://www.photage.ca

22Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Best fries on the planet are from "Dutch Drive in" up in The Pas

par deep friend. then left to sit, when you order they are quickly deep fried again then thrown into a bowl full of gravy and mixed around to soak up the gravy before being stuff in a box and delivered to your car.

It might be a heart attack.. buts its a good heart attack

23Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:07 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:Best fries on the planet are from "Dutch Drive in" up in The Pas
That might be about the ONLY thing that is "good" about that town. Otherwise, it's a racially segredated dump.

24Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah.. we call in Manitoba's Edmonton Smile

25Five Guys Burgers in May! Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:26 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm not kidding DeanK. That place was horrible. I lived there for four miserable months, and the thing people talked about the most was racial issues. How whites couldn't go into certain bars because they risked getting beat up or killed by indians, and vice versa as well. I was warned not to venture out too late at night by myself to avoid being robbed or beat up, as is what happens quite often up there. I would never recommend anyone live up there. Ever.
The Pas is a shithole.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum