the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whistle Pig (and other Winnipeg burgers)

+11
St Norberter
Goth_chic
Northlands
rosencrentz
anny
sputnik
MrMyles
grumpy old man
Stonekiller
Deank
rykos
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Whistle Pig (and other Winnipeg burgers) Empty Whistle Pig (and other Winnipeg burgers) Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:13 pm

rykos

rykos

I did a search and didn't find a similar thread, but if there is one, please merge or delete this one!

I was thinking of trying the burger at Whistle Pig. Foodpages says they open in March, but the number listed is still temporarily disconnected. Can anyone tell me when in March they open?

How about White Top's opening date?

Mrs. Mike's?

Please help me get my burger fix!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I would guess most open for spring break?

just a guess tho

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

The Whistle pig isn't open yet, which is odd considering the DQ that is shares a parking lot with has been open since March 1st. I think Spring Break is about when they open, though I can save you the trip the Burgers there aren't anything special.

rykos

rykos

When's spring break? I thought it was this week. Maybe next week?

I've read mixed reviews about TWP, and I wouldn't normally go out of my way to try it (it's quite far from where I live), but I'll be getting my car detailed nearby, so I figured I'd hit TWP in order to kill time. What else am I going to do for two hours in that part of Transcona?

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Spring Break is next week.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Never heard of Whistle Pig, but travel on Regent quite frequently. I will give 'er a try.

Ditto White Top's & Mrs. Mike's. Never heard of them. New burger joint's? They must be duly investigated.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Oh, welcome to the sandbox rykos.

MrMyles

MrMyles
contributor
contributor

White Top is on Salter between Selkirk and Burrows on the East side of the street. Red & White shack. Only been there twice, nothing to write home about. If I was not living close to there then, I would not have stopped in.

Try North Star Drive In on McGregor & Cathedral, next to the armoury. Opens next week I think, and always draws a crowd. Again, nothing to write home or cross town for, but if your in the area it is certainly a good place to stop.

http://www.creativecompulsions.com

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:Ditto White Top's & Mrs. Mike's. Never heard of them. New burger joint's? They must be duly investigated.

You have never heard of Mrs Mikes? They have been in the same spot on Tache @ Horace since the early 70s.

Their Kingburger is my favorite burger in Winnipeg and have been eating there since I could walk. Their hotdog also destroys anything you will find at Half Moon or Skinners.

Their fries are pretty plain. Typical McDonalds shoestring style. But they are still good and I like them covered in either chili or vinegar.

Say hi to Kathy (the older woman there) when you go and tell them Jason sent you. Some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mrs-Mikes/165786516814009

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ditto to the never heard of Mrs Mikes..

Maybe I did, but the name just seems so blase that I dont think I would remember it.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Now that you mention the location I do indeed recall them and have partaken in their food. The line-ups are quite long.

My memory is not what it used to be...

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:The line-ups are quite long.

With good reason.

You know a place is good when all of the Hydro/MTS/Shaw/City trucks stop their for lunch.

You also often have a decent showing from the staff at SBGH.

anny

contributor
contributor

Fries are good at The Whistle Pig. Burgers are mediocre. Mrs. Mike's is good, and so is VJ's on Main St. I don't like Blondie's (too dry) or Superboys (weird seasoning).

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Rykos- welcome- Please disregard GOM's welcome, he doesn't mean it, and be careful of DeanK! Those 2 are notorious for raising sh i t on the forum!

lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

You could give The North Star a try. They're on McGregor by the Armory. Decent burgers and fries. I haven't been there in a year, but they were a bit of a premium price. Still tasty though.

rykos

rykos

Thanks for the welcome!

This year I aim to try TWP and Half Moon. (Can I call Half Moon a Winnipeg burger place if it's not in Winnipeg?) Those are probably the two burger places furthest from my place, so I'm not likely to visit either of them ever again.

I've been to North Star and thought it was fine, but wouldn't go out of my way for it again.

Wasn't Mrs. Mike's being sold? I thought I read that somewhere.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oscars
deli makes a very delicious burger

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Johnnys Maple Pizza makes a good burger and the Greek salad is awesome. Always busy at lunch with city workers etc.

Last edited by Goth_chic on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

anny wrote:I don't like Blondie's (too dry) or Superboys (weird seasoning).

I agree with both of these reviews.

Superboys has the weirdest chili ever. Its like they put cinnamon or nutmeg into it. I can't stand it. I also don't like the fact that when you sit inside, all you smell is their harsh floor/bathroom cleaner. Pretty unappetizing.

Blondies is dry and bland, although the owner isn't.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I know a ton of people who love Superboys, especially those who grew up in the north end. IMO, the burgers taste the same as any other Greek burger joint.

I also use to like the Red Top...I haven't been there in years but I remember the burgers were tasty.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Besides my own BBQ Burgers, sadly the best burger I had in recent memory was Double Cheese Nip from Sals followed closely behind is the Factory Special at the Burger Factory on Regent and Panet.

I still like GBF burgers too but I haven't been in a while.

Blondies is an odd ball in the burger joints in town. Her monster burgers I found to be very tasty and not overly dry (Not sure if I got lucky) Superboys, I agree with that as well, weird spicing.

I also like the burger at Park Tower Restaurant on Portage near the zoo. Very good and HUGE!!!!

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Stonekiller wrote:I still like GBF burgers too but I haven't been in a while.

I will never eat at GBF.

I have a friend that did deliveries there and saw what their kitchen/fridge looked like.

MrMyles

MrMyles
contributor
contributor

I live down the street from Superboys. Yet I don't think I have ever had a burger there. Only ice cream (rarely) and a clubhouse (once).

Clubhouse was excellent. But, I have never had a bad clubhouse Very Happy

The place itself is not one I liked to eat in. The cleaner smell was present each time I went in. Walk by often, never stop in anymore.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I've never eaten in Superboys but I have had it to go. Tasted fine to me, then again I haven't eaten there since 2005.

MrMyles

MrMyles
contributor
contributor

2005 sounds about right to me. Been a long time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum