the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Five Guys Burgers in May!

+12
Bartron
Sourpuss
JT Estoban
Miz point
Mantha
St Norberter
EdWin
AGEsAces
holly golightly
grumpy old man
Deank
sputnik
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:26 pm

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm not kidding DeanK. That place was horrible. I lived there for four miserable months, and the thing people talked about the most was racial issues. How whites couldn't go into certain bars because they risked getting beat up or killed by indians, and vice versa as well. I was warned not to venture out too late at night by myself to avoid being robbed or beat up, as is what happens quite often up there. I would never recommend anyone live up there. Ever.
The Pas is a shithole.

27Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Meh. No different then any town.

28Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:30 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:Meh. No different then any town.
Uhh, I've been to Fort McMurray, Prince Albert (another rough northern town), Thompson and Fort Nelson. These are probably the roughest northern cities in Western Canada. And as rough as they are, The Pas puts them all to shame, by leaps and bounds.
The only places that might be worse then The Pas are indian reservations, and that isn't saying much.

29Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I've been to all those as well (except fort nelson) and its all the same everywhere.

I can say though I was never more concerned then of the roaming gangs of older people of a certain ethnic persuasion in downtown edmonton. 15 on 1 is never good odds.

30Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:29 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:fries with the skin on them taste dirty.

Really? Aside from McDonalds shoestring fries I cant think of a fry that tastes good without the peel.

The fries at places like Wendys, KFC and A&W have TERRIBLE fries. All of them are consistently dry and stale.

Compare that to something like NY Fries, Lankys, Dairy Wip, or VJs.

Kelikis' Fries = Best in the world!

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

31Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

too cripsy

32Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:31 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

2nd best = My Wife's homemade

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

33Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Hambo's Fries. Thumbs up!

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

34Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

EdWin wrote:The Pas is a shithole.

I agree. Sorry, Dean.

I once took a bus up to Snow Lake from Dauphin. Got off for a bathroom break in the Pas because the one on the bus was 'occupied'.

I might as well have stepped in to an old west saloon. As soon as I stepped in, heads turned to look at me, the record playing in the background ended with the scratch of the needle sliding off the turntable, and all that was left was the uncomfortable sound of people fidgeting with their cutlery. Or maybe pocket knives, I'm not sure.

Walked in to the bathroom stall, did my business, and as i turned to leave, "KILL WHITEY"* was scrawled in massive, angry red letters on the inside of the door.

I hightailed it out of there pretty quick.

It may not be worse than any other town, but it's closer to the surface there. Palpable.

* I think Whitey was spelled wrong, too...

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

35Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:Any restaurant that makes fries from a real potato but peels the potato first are better.

Depends on which potatoes are used Dean. The peel is good for you as it has lots of vitamins and iron.

And big yes to the peanut oil - more expensive but tastier.

When I do English cut chips at home I use rendered beef fat. I keep a stash in the freezer just for the fish and chip nights.....about once every two months.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

36Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:I aint had fries done in peanut oil... Based on chips done in peanut oil, I can see this almost being enough to forgive the PEAL being left on.

I used to have respect for your fast food connoisseur level Dean...but his latest aversion to the PEEL being left on has shown a disturbing side of you.

The PEEL is absolutely the best part of the fries, or mashed, or diced, or any other way of serving potatoes. ALL places that serve fries should be required to leave the PEEL on.

And yes on the mashed with peel on.....southern style with ham or bacon bits, heavy cream, parsley, butter, nutmeg and white pepper.....yum. The trick is cut them into smaller chunks for the boiling.

As well roasted potatoes, peel on, done in olive oil or beef drippings.....some rosemary.....(cue in Homer Simpson slobbering noises)

37Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Mantha wrote:
EdWin wrote:The Pas is a shithole.

I agree. Sorry, Dean.

I once took a bus up to Snow Lake from Dauphin. Got off for a bathroom break in the Pas because the one on the bus was 'occupied'.

I might as well have stepped in to an old west saloon. As soon as I stepped in, heads turned to look at me, the record playing in the background ended with the scratch of the needle sliding off the turntable, and all that was left was the uncomfortable sound of people fidgeting with their cutlery. Or maybe pocket knives, I'm not sure.

Walked in to the bathroom stall, did my business, and as i turned to leave, "KILL WHITEY"* was scrawled in massive, angry red letters on the inside of the door.

I hightailed it out of there pretty quick.

It may not be worse than any other town, but it's closer to the surface there. Palpable.

* I think Whitey was spelled wrong, too...

ha ha ha/// jokes on you.. the pas dont have record players yet.

38Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" The peel is good for you as it has lots of vitamins and iron."

who the frick cares.. I am eating DEEP FRIED FOOD

Smile

39Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Miz point wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:I aint had fries done in peanut oil... Based on chips done in peanut oil, I can see this almost being enough to forgive the PEAL being left on.

I used to have respect for your fast food connoisseur level Dean...but his latest aversion to the PEEL being left on has shown a disturbing side of you.

The PEEL is absolutely the best part of the fries, or mashed, or diced, or any other way of serving potatoes. ALL places that serve fries should be required to leave the PEEL on.

And yes on the mashed with peel on.....southern style with ham or bacon bits, heavy cream, parsley, butter, nutmeg and white pepper.....yum. The trick is cut them into smaller chunks for the boiling.

As well roasted potatoes, peel on, done in olive oil or beef drippings.....some rosemary.....(cue in Homer Simpson slobbering noises)

now.. MASHED potatoes or even fried in butter potatoes freshly dug out of a garden.. those can still have the peel on. I will give you that.

40Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:17 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:
Miz point wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:

now.. MASHED potatoes or even fried in butter potatoes freshly dug out of a garden.. those can still have the peel on. I will give you that.

Fully loaded mashed potatoes, made with cheddar cheese, real bacon bits (crispy/burnt bacon) and chives, baked in the oven and served with sour cream. Haven't had those in more than a year because they are soooo not good for me but man, they are soooo good.

41Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:40 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:" The peel is good for you as it has lots of vitamins and iron."

who the frick cares.. I am eating DEEP FRIED FOOD

Smile

exactly!....potentially fried in the renderings of dead animals....is always extra tasty!

Seriously...frying in lard makes the best tasting fries.

42Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

freaking jerks Miz P holly and JT..

now my stomach is all rumbly.

43Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:53 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

You might be able to get some decent steak-cut fries from the Italian place @ the food court under the old TD Centre Tower...or wait till tomorrow.
Rolling Eyes

44Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

HAH!

dont have too.. 20lb bag of potatoes and new oil in the deep fryer at home.

What a Face

and delicious onion rings in the freezer too.

45Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:24 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Beef drippings are the best for fries.....I use duck fat on occasion (I have a can of it in the fridge I rendered) for potatoes dauphinoise.....the trick with any of this decadent food is just not to eat it every bloody day - eh Dean???? hahahahahha...sorry to tease you but I have been working on a menu project for a client so these days my head is in research and recipe development.....good thing there are young men in this big old house who can eat all the starch and carbs they like otherwise I would be like one of those humans in Wall-E.....hahahah

Spinach and brown rice for me!!!

46Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:58 am

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:fries with the skin on them taste dirty.

Really? Aside from McDonalds shoestring fries I cant think of a fry that tastes good without the peel.

The fries at places like Wendys, KFC and A&W have TERRIBLE fries. All of them are consistently dry and stale.

Compare that to something like NY Fries, Lankys, Dairy Wip, or VJs.

Word. They're horrible. Fries went downhill in the early 90's when everyone came up with these horrible "extra crispy" fries. They taste nothing like fries are supposed to.

Also? Peanut oil? Nom, nom, nom.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

47Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

soo... is five guys open here yet?

48Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

I went to five guys in Brandon a few weeks ago. It was pretty good, nothing to write home about though.

49Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 am

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

Would anyone compare it to Georges?

50Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:13 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

apparently unburger is open now.

gourmet burgers and they serve beer and wine.

51Five Guys Burgers in May! - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:42 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

DeanK check out cripsy in #31-

http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum