the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bicycle issues in Winnipeg

+15
JT Estoban
IG Guy
holly golightly
eastsider
St Norberter
FlyingRat
rosencrentz
egomaniac
SMW
grumpy old man
grumpyrom
Freeman
incognito
Deank
AGEsAces
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

151Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:44 pm

I was taught to stop at the stop sign itself...in line with it.

If you stop past it, you have already failed to stop at it right? I believe that you'd fail your test if you drove past the sign.

152Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Quote from the highway Traffic Act.

Bicycles on sidewalks
" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">145(Cool Subject to subsection (9), no person shall operate on a sidewalk a bicycle with a rear wheel the diameter of which exceeds 410 mm.

Exception to subsection (Cool
145(9) Subsection (Cool does not apply to a sidewalk that is marked by a traffic control device permitting the operation of a bicycle on the sidewalk.

S.M. 1989-90, c. 56, s. 14 to 16; S.M. 1996, c. 26, s. 15; S.M. 2004, c. 30, s. 19.

153Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Fri May 01, 2009 10:14 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

North End couple works hard to get a transportation co-oridor going. Efforts seem to have paid off
http://www.canstarnews.com/page/story/the_times/3867

the cost? not much at all... the benefit? one hell of a lot.

154Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Fri May 01, 2009 12:16 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Interesting - I got told off the other day by another cyclist.

Why? Because I was too far out. I think his actual words were "If you're going to wear headphones, you shouldn't be that far out from the curb"

Two problems with that:

a) The distance I ride from the curb and the fact I wear headphone are not related whatsoever.

b) I ride ~ 1metre from the curb, which is the recommended distance.

I told him if he wanted to suck curb that was his choice, but don't expect me to do it. In the discussion that followed, he was pretty convinced that cyclists chould be close enough to the curb that cars can pass them in the same lane without having to move over.

That in my opinion, is wrong and actually more dangerous than riding far enough out that a car needs to shift into the next lane to get around you.

of course, he was in full kit and riding a fixie - so he must know best! Wink

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

155Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Fri May 01, 2009 12:19 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

A) What is a "fixie".

And two) You should probably not be wearing headphones if they in anyway restrict you from hearing me behind you, cursing and honking my horn.

156Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Fri May 01, 2009 12:21 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:A) What is a "fixie".

And two) You should probably not be wearing headphones if they in anyway restrict you from hearing me behind you, cursing and honking my horn.

a) fixed gear road bike

b) Nope - don't have them loud enough for them to restrict my hearing of vehicles.

c) If you're in that much of a hurry - make a lane change and go around me. On my route there are usually 2 other lanes available for you to do that.

157Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Fri May 01, 2009 12:22 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'm never in a hurry. I just like honking and swearing.

158Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Fri May 01, 2009 12:24 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I'm never in a hurry. I just like honking and swearing.

Well, if it was me and you honked and swore, you probably would have remembered, as I always return the favour ( 100+ db air horn is handy!)

159Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Fri May 01, 2009 12:51 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There are plenty of areas in the City when you should be on the sidewalk for your safety! One that come to mind is the Main Street Bridge , if that is its name, that connects Main street to St Boniface. I am sure their are others. I don't ride a motor bike or a regular bike any more! I would like to, though!

http://www.elansofas.com

160Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Wearing headphones when driving or cycling is just dumb, but I do agree about taking up the entire lane. I basically travel in the path where the right tire of a car would be, forcing anyone wanting to pass the change lanes rather than try to squeeze by.

161Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 1:20 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

St Norberter wrote:Well, if it was me and you honked and swore, you probably would have remembered, as I always return the favour ( 100+ db air horn is handy!)

I used a tire iron myself.

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

162Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You used a tire iron on GOM??? Well, at least that explains a few things.

163Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Nah, never hit anyone - most backed off before I had the chance. Of course, behaviour like that led to a few stints in anger-management classes...

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

164Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

So I was out for a nice ride yesterday. Went from my home in the north end to St Vital Park and back. Going southbound on the Main Street Bridge over the Assiniboine River there is a dedicated diamond lane that is for buses and cyclist 24/7 (not just rush hour) so I am entitled to that whole lane. Cars are not allowed in that particular lane at all, they have a right hand turning lane to get onto River Ave. On the second bridge going over the Red River on both sides there is a bike lane that is seperated from the bus lane by a concrete baracade.
I too ride in the ride hand "wheel" lane so that vehicles need to change lanes to pass me. I have had a few instances where I have actually kicked a car that was too close to me and I will comment to drivers who insist on crowding me out at a red light. If have the courtesy to stop at the end of the line of cars, give me the same courtesy and stop behind me, don't pull up beside me and think that I will wait for you to go ahead.
As far as wearing head phones while cycling, I beleive it is still illegal to do so but it is no more so a problem than having your car stereo blasting with the bass soooo loud that the windows on the vehicles in front and beside you vibrate. You just have to be that much more aware of your surroundings. Plus they also prevent me from getting an ear ache from the wind.

165Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah yesterday would have been a beutiful day for a ride like that.

166Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 4:36 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:yeah yesterday would have been a beutiful day for a ride like that.

Yeah, yesterday was a beautiful day....

But I'd rather go for a ride along a nice bike path instead of riding along in the cement jungle! Evil or Very Mad

I'm just nit picking! Razz

167Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 4:37 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

holly golightly wrote:
As far as wearing head phones while cycling, I beleive it is still illegal to do so but it is no more so a problem than having your car stereo blasting with the bass soooo loud that the windows on the vehicles in front and beside you vibrate. You just have to be that much more aware of your surroundings. Plus they also prevent me from getting an ear ache from the wind.

I don't have them loud enough to drown out the cars.I used to wear only one in the right ( away from traffic) ear. I find that it doesn't make a difference if I am wearing one or two. I've actually heard that depending on the design of your helmet, you can actually hear less because of the wind redirection from the helmet than from wearing earbuds.

168Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 5:16 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

And your ears don't get sore from the cold wind!

169Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Mon May 04, 2009 5:27 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

FlyingRat wrote:And your ears don't get sore from the cold wind!

Actually when it is colder than -5, I wear a snowboarding helmet that has ear pads (the pads have speakers in them). That keeps me ears nice and toasty!

170Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:17 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

So...it hit me yesterday that AutoPac pays for the "60-Second Driver" commercials.

And cyclists ARE drivers...so why not have AutoPac address the issue? They have tonnes of extra money Wink.

So...I sent them this message today...we'll see what they respond with:

60-Second Driver
I see you have a couple of Cycling Safety tips listed in your 60-second driver and Safety Columns.

Why isn't more done actually TARGETING Cyclists as vehicles on the road?

Is it because they don't pay insurance so don't fund the process?

How about reversing it and look at the education saves AutoPac money because cyclists learn the rules and therefore reduce the risk of incidents with motorized vehicles?

The 60-second-driver should have a few videos made targeting cyclists and what THEIR responsibilities and rules are to follow.

Even if it just teaches a few riders what the rules are...it will help improve the view of cyclists by motor vehicle drivers exponentially.

Here are a few suggestions to pinpoint for a good 60-second Driver video:

1) STAY OFF THE SIDEWALKS - Sidewalks are meant for pedestrians, disabled vehicles, maintenance vehicles, and a brief dismounting point to lock up a bicycle. (unless posted as a "shared" sidewalk with pedestrians)

2) CROSSWALKS ARE FOR PEDESTRIANS - Too many times cyclists are seen pushing cross-walk buttons or using the amber-lighted crosswalks. If they choose to use this, they must WALK their bikes across the street.

3) BICYCLES ARE VEHICLES TOO - and must follow street signs, driving lanes, traffic lights. No running through red lights, or passing vehicles stopped at a light. Get behind the last vehicle in line and "wait your turn".

4) SIGNAL INTENTIONS - A motorist cannot "guess" what a cyclist is going to do. Signaling is EXTREMELY important, not for the vehicles the cyclist CAN see, but for those who may be in a blind-spot or unanticipated.

5) ROAD SAFETY - Cycling in poor weather, low light conditions, etc. require certain extra precautions. High-visibility gear, helmets, lights, reflectors are all components of a safe rider. Certain items are REQUIRED for riding in low-light (at night), while others are just highly recommended.

Perhaps this could be a series of commercials? But should start playing the last week of April/first week of May to get the attention of the cyclists as they start bringing their bikes out. And again as the "Bike to Work Day" approaches.

AutoPac should also encourage the city to post signage along major routes (and busy sidewalks) which indicate bikes should remain ON THE ROAD and OFF THE SIDEWALK. They have them for skateboards on Portage avenue...they should have the same kind of signs for bicycles...and enforce the rules more.

http://www.photage.ca

171Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Kudos!

Well said!

I especially liked the part at the end....you know...actually enforcing the rules would go a long way. While it's not MPI's responsibility to enforce the HTA, they can put pressure on the powers that be to step up cycling enforcement.

172Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Anonymous

The city's idea of cycling enforcement is to have cops on cycles. Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Icon_rolleyes

173Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ugg.. but when they do crack down on cyclists.. they freak out.

174Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Anonymous

I will never forget the sight of that dumbass cop crouched and hiding behind a signal box waiting for cyclists to go through the stop sign in front of Balmoral Hall.

Pathetic. Simply pathetic.

175Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:49 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:ugg.. but when they do crack down on cyclists.. they freak out.

That's true of any particular group experiencing a "crackdown".....no?

176Bicycle issues in Winnipeg - Page 7 Empty Re: Bicycle issues in Winnipeg Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:52 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but their wharbagl is so much more painful to listen to.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum