the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER?

+6
Goth_chic
grumpy old man
Triniman
holly golightly
AGEsAces
Deank
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:32 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor

The knowledge may be there, but the presentation of it is not on our doorstep. Kids being kept in "dungeons" as you say won't have the access to the education in their home on how to become free but may see something that would help them if they have the opportunity to go to this museum through their school. People who are not willing to change never will and for the most part they are adults, but our children should be given that chance to make the decisions that are right for them and maybe, just maybe a few adults will make the change as well.

27HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"but our children should be given that chance to make the decisions that are right for them and maybe, just maybe a few adults will make the change as well."

Unless all the human rights abusers in the world are stopped immediatly ( hell lets just kill them all ). The kids will also have the chance to learn from them. The Parents (as you indicate yourself) are the primary educators and as long as they show that its all right to abuse someone elses human rights the kids will never really learn ( from school or the museum)

28HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:46 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

But at least they will be given the option!!!!!! Knowledge is power!!!!!!!! So why are you trying to take that power away from your kids????????????? As a good parent I want my children to have every possible opportunity available and I am willing to pay for it and do pay for it through my taxes and if that means a museum that will enhance their oppotunities, so be it. Let's not deny our children the ability to gain knowledge first hand.

29HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:51 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I am not trying to take it from my kids. And quite frankly I dont ever want my kids to have knowledge of human rights abuses first hand that would mean they were either the abuser or the the abusee. ( a museum will never ever be able to give first hand knowledge I would hope ).

I understand what you mean though. But I still do not see the actual ability of this museum to actually change anything or help anything.

30HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:59 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:I understand what you mean though. But I still do not see the actual ability of this museum to actually change anything or help anything.

I think the statistics I listed earlier address that Dean.

It's not about presenting NEW information...it's about presenting information in a more effective manner. One which will provide new insight or a better understanding of the "how & why" instead of just the "who & what".

I will support the idea that it's "just another museum"...but I've seen hundreds of pictures of various pieces of art...and yet nothing compares to seeing it in person in the Met in NYC...observing the nuances and brush strokes.

I can listen to artists sing on the radio but nothing compares to a live concert.

While "first hand" is never the way to learn about atrocities...understanding in a 3-dimensional or "multi-level" format is much better than reading online or in a classroom.

Again...if the museum is done "right"...then it will be a worthwhile venture.

http://www.photage.ca

31HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:01 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

So that would mean that if Nelson Mandela were to grace this museum to speak you would not take or encourage your children to hear him speak??????????????? Because if what you say is your truth that you hope this museum will never be able to give first hand knowledge, Nelson Mandela would never be invited. He is, after all, a person who has suffered a great abuse by white South African society so he can give first hand knowledge of what is abuse and how one man was able to reach out and affect the change needed to change a country. What a shame that if, as you say, you would not want your children to hear first hand knowledge from an abusee.

32HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:03 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Nelson Mandela speaking would be second-hand knowledge.

33HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

FlyingRat wrote:Nelson Mandela speaking would be second-hand knowledge.
yup
Where as giving someone the opportunity to abuse Nelson Mandela would be first hand knowledge ( or I guess for Nelson to abuse them, he does seem like a pretty tough guy)

34HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

And for the record... would it not serve the world better that instead of paying Nelson to come here (along with his entire group of guards and what not) ... would it not be better to pay him to speak, record it and then ensure he is available "online" once per month to answer questions?

Seems far more reasonable then flying him to Winnipeg if as you say knowledge is what we are after.

35HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:10 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Explain to me how Nelson Mandela speaking about the abuse he endured is second hand knowledge and how he rose to the occassion is second hand knowledge????????????? I don't see it that way, he is re-telling HIS story not someone elses.

36HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

anyone telling a story about an event is second hand knowledge to the person receiving the information.

First hand knowledge is experiencing the story.

37HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:12 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

First-hand knowledge cannot be obtained from hearing someone speak about it. That's what makes it second-hand knowledge.

38HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I still think all that money would be better served to help those in need....If the Askers really cared about this city then they would be donating all that money to feed and shelter the homeless, feed, cloth and shelter all of those children who are living in poverty. Some museum about Human Rights violations really doesn't mean too much to those kids who have nothing....there are people in this country who's Human rights are violated on a daily basis yet nothing is done about it....ie: Aboriginal women on reserves. Hmmm but maybe an exhibit about that will help... Laughing

39HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:01 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

But these children you are talking about who are being violated may not even know they are being violated but if they were to see a similar situation at this museum it may triger something in them to say "Hey this is what is happening to me and I may be able to use these ideas to get out of it". If not give the chance, how can one break the cycle?????????????

40HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Anonymous

So it appears that the best we can hope for with the expediture of a couple of hundred million and another 25 per year, is the hope that it will make things better.

Shades of a gun registry race through my mind....lol

41HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:13 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Are you suggesting by the mere act of driving (and funding) the museum that the Aspers don't care? Geeze. I just don't get the complete lack of respect accorded the Aspers here.

There is a saying: “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
and you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry
he is.”—Author unknown

42HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:14 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Where does anyone promise the world WILL BE CHANGED by the mere presence of this museum?

43HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:14 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Are you suggesting by the mere act of driving (and funding) the museum that the Aspers don't care? Geeze. I just don't get the complete lack of respect accorded the Aspers here.

There is a saying: “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”—Author unknown

44HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Anonymous

Why are you so hung up on giving the Askers respect? One gains respect and I know of nothing that was done that earns my respect.

45HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:17 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Why are you so disrespectful? Rhetorical questions jimmy. I would think that when people live in a civilized society they show respect to others. Especially when others intentions are honourable.

46HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Are you suggesting by the mere act of driving (and funding) the museum that the Aspers don't care? Geeze. I just don't get the complete lack of respect accorded the Aspers here.
How would you characterize the respect for the taxpayers that the Aspers have shown? Not asking us if we're on side with their idea. Refusing to appear at even a single press conference to respond to reporters' questions on behalf of the public. Not asking us if the public would allow the museum to be built at the Fork. Not explaining why their attendance figures have dropped from 800,000 to 250,000 in two years, and 100,000 to 20,000 for students visits. What's the impact of these dramatically smaller figures? When will they come begging for more than $22 million in funding in order to keep the doors open?
Talk about contempt for the taxpayer and public at large.

47HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:18 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Meh. Whatever.

48HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:21 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Why are you so disrespectful? Rhetorical questions jimmy. I would think that when people live in a civilized society they show respect to others. Especially when others intentions are honourable.

Well.. always answering by rephrasing my questions shows you've come to a gun fight with a dull knife eh.

49HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Meh. Whatever.

Weak.

50HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:42 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Was it Jackie Gleason who said... "It can't hurt!"?

51HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? - Page 2 Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

White elephants always hurt...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum