the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER?

+6
Goth_chic
grumpy old man
Triniman
holly golightly
AGEsAces
Deank
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:46 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Please only post a reply here if you actually have a sound arguement as to how the Canadian Human Rights museum will benefit mankind.
Nothing Wishy washy like just wait till it happens you will see.
No arguements saying IT WONT IT WONT.
No we should not build it stuff.
Dont include the financial benefits to the city.
I just want to hear the real positives from people who believe it will make a difference to man kind and what difference it will make and how they believe that difference can be measured. Anything else... well just go post that in one of the other 50 threads we have on this museum. I just want this to be a list of what the positivies are.

2HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:57 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Fine...I'll take a stab at it...with a disclaimer: I think a better presentation would be "How the Canadian Right Museum will benefit society...no matter what city it's in".

The benefit of the museum itself is based on a simple principle: If we do not learn from the errors and evils of our past, we are doomed to repeat them.

Unfortunately...though we have the education and developed minds to know our histories...so did our ancestors. They knew what was presented to them, and they to them over generations.

The BENEFIT of the museum, is to create a centralized location of accumulated knowledge...not unlike the internet...but, if done properly, providing a more informative and "hands-on" presentation of the data.

To bring the imagery, sounds, smells to "life"...will help instill in those who attend a distinct aversion to wanting the repetition of the horrors.

It SHOULD also present options and suggestions as to addressing human rights violations, and perhaps even recognizing the signs which lead to mass issues.

Human Rights violations are not just Holocausts and Apartheid, they include child abuse, racism, sexism, ageism (lots of "isms"). They include discrimination, health care, and many other topics.

From what I've read from the CHRM literature...they are "targeting" the big things to start, but have plans to develop further exhibits which address newer or developing topics.

I can read an article about sledding down a hill of snow. But if I don't know what snow is, or what a sled is, I'd have little understanding of it. If I see a video or am able to even see artificial snow or see/touch a sled...my understanding increases.

This is the presentation of the museum...to add to the senses, and present options some people (not everyone has the internet) cannot access. And I know we do plenty of reading/writing online...but how many people out there find it annoying and problematic to read articles on the computer? Who still go pickup that newspaper every day to read it page by page? Museums are somewhat antiquated in their current forms...but the majority of the population still prefers a "hands-on" approach to learning.

With any luck...a spark of thought or mind will reach one of the visitors...and that spark will ignite a new view of the world, and the people on it.

http://www.photage.ca

3HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:04 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Have you ever had the opportunity to visit the holocaust museum in either New York? Even though I am not Jewish, I have many years ago as my family is from Germany so deeply affected by the Holocaust as were millions of others, probably even your family Dean.
To have this Human Rights Museum at our doorstep will enable those children and their families who do not have the financial means of going to the museum in New York the opportunity to learn about history from the exhibits not only from the Holocaust but from all other Human Rights atrocities (desegregation in the US, the Underground Railway to name a couple of biggies). To listen to actual survivors of the genocide that is happening in Darfur and other African countries. It will enable the teachers in this city, province and country the opportunity to take their students there and not have to travel to another country like the US to enhance their education by seeing things that only now they can read about, written in text books (some of which are not very accurate). And we all know how boring text books can be to read so why not give the young people to opportunity to see and hear and feel the history.

I would love to have the opportunity to read excepts and see the actual documents from the likes of Martin Luther King Jr, Rosa Parks and others who helped to make all people equal under the US constitution, to see the documents and hear the stories of Nellie McClung and the women's right to vote. I would also love to hear the stories and see the pictures from the South African people who have lived in both situations of Aparthied (before and after Nelson Mandela) and to have the opportunity if it so arose to have people of Nelson Mandela's stature be able to come to this museum to give lectures on these atrocities. Or to have one of the elders from the Riel family tell the story of Louis Riel as it has been passed down from generation to generation, not what is written in the history books.

As a society we have come a long way from where we were just a couple of decades ago but in order for change to happen and history not to repeat itself, the children need to know what that histroy was and why it happened, not just that it did. In order to affect change you need to know what it is you are trying to change.

4HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:55 pm

Anonymous

Very well said indeed .

5HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:53 am

Anonymous

...and a building will do this??? Not too friggn' likely I'm afraid.

Perhaps this type of education is best left to schools?

6HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:59 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

I'd like to know what information the museum may contain that won't be available in greater detail, on the Internet. And I'm not limiting this to just the musuem's website.
True, not everyone has the Internet. But it's far, far more accessible to most people than a trip to Winnipeg, no?

7HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:17 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:...and a building will do this??? Not too friggn' likely I'm afraid.

Perhaps this type of education is best left to schools?

Education from schools?!! Are you mental?

Have you not been reading the headlines? The news?

Have you not talked to teachers? Or met some of the youth today?

The SCHOOL system is broken...has been for quite some time.

That's not a defense for the museum...but it certainly negates the idea that the SCHOOL system is the best way for the youth to learn.

There is a proven scientific study which indicates people in general (and there are always a few exceptions):
10% learn by hearing
30% learn by seeing
50% learn by reading
80% learn by doing
90% learn by teaching
(no, it's not supposed to add up to 100%, there are obvious overlaps in how people learn).

A GOOD museum provides the "doing" aspect, in that it provides the "hands-on" feature, along with seeing, hearing & reading. It provides reinforcement that you CANNOT get from the internet...or a classroom.

8HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:20 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Triniman wrote:I'd like to know what information the museum may contain that won't be available in greater detail, on the Internet. And I'm not limiting this to just the musuem's website.
True, not everyone has the Internet. But it's far, far more accessible to most people than a trip to Winnipeg, no?

#1 - A museum will present CONFIRMED information...at least as of the time it's presented...whereas the internet is hit-or-miss as to the accuracy of information.

#2 - How often have you gone searching for information, and found pages of useless drivel...mostly "sponsored" links which have nothing to do with the topic you're working on?

#3 - The internet has limited capabilities. It can show you a video, and some text...maybe some audio...but it can't give you a true concept of size, intent, or tie all the aspects together.

9HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:36 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

A school can't get the type of exhibits that a museum can bring in, a school would not have the financial resources not have access to that a museum like would have or be able to access to entice people like Nelson Mandela, surviving Nobel Peace Prize winners to come to Winnipeg to hold seminars and speak about atrocities. And as for the internet, yes it is extremely accessible but you can't see, touch, or hear what needs to be told. Youtube is not a place that is best to be used to teach kids what needs to be heard by these people. And most sites that a student may want to see on the internet is not accessible to them through the school because of security reasons.
Think back to when you went to school and think about some of the field trips you went on and how much fun they were. Yes some were extremely boring, repetitive like going to the farm in elementary but going to the symphony or the ballet or to the children's festival or to the zoo can be a great learning experience. If this museum and the educational portion is put together as it should be, what better place to learn. The educational division at the Museum (of Man & Nature) is first class in that the kids actual get to "do" and "be" instead of just listen. Museums should always be an extension to the school system and support and enhance what a teacher can teach.

10HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:52 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There is nothing that can be said that will convince some people about the (potential) worth of this museum.

This thread has very specific rules. Maybe we ought to follow them.

11HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"This thread has very specific rules. Maybe we ought to follow them."
yes please
So as of right now.. other then my initial post.. all other posts can be ignored.

Still waiting for a real answer as to how it will make things better.

12HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:06 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Who's rules??????????????????? I don't see any rules that have been broken??????????????? It was asked for "Please only post a reply here if you actually have a sound argument as to how the Canadian Human Rights museum will benefit mankind."
I had a reply so I posted. Who is to say that these are not sound arguments?????????????? Just because DeanK doesn't agree with me does not make them unsound. These are some of my reasons and I am entitled to an opinion am I not???? This is a discussion and I have not seen any sound reply to say that this will not benefit HUMANkind. Please reply giving "sound" agrument as to why it won't benefit and leave out the finances.

13HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Anonymous

So how will it make things better?

14HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Please reply giving "sound" agrument as to why it won't benefit and leave out the finances."
Can you take that to your own thread?

No one has given any sound reason that will hold up to legitimate arguement how it will make things better.

15HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Anonymous

Drinking the kool-aid won't give you answers Dean..it just gives rhetoric.

16HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

So if you don't agree with it Dean just don't go and don't sign the permission slips so your children will also be denied the opportunity to enhance their education as obviously you don't seem to think that their education and the betterment for them is to any advantage. Stop thinking within your own little box and think for the future of your children. Remember that history has a sad way of repeating itself so maybe, just maybe this museum will help to stop that cylce. They may one day need to know that their father wanted them to get the best of everything, including the opportunity for the best education that can be had and if it somehow includes this museum then so be. Stop excluding opportunities for your children just because you don't agree. Are you not their first teacher? And if you answer yes then teach them to be inclusionaries and visionaries. This world we live in is so closed minded when it comes to including thoughts and ideas that differ, no wonder there are wars and genocides and holocausts.

17HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Stop thinking within your own little box and think for the future of your children"
please...what kind of crap statement is that?

Can you please actually put a real arguement forward how this museum will make things better above and beyond what museums and tribunals and everything else across the planet have already tried. HOW WILL THIS MUSEUM MAKE THINGS BETTER??
While I would love to see Nelson speak in person as he is such a powerful sounding man this museum has NOT ONCE said anywhere that would be part of the plan so what makes you think that will happen? Just believing it will is not enough remember the first rule of this thread please "Nothing Wishy washy like just wait till it happens you will see."

I really and truly want to know how this museum will benefit us. I did not start this thread from being an asshole or jerk. I started it looking for an actual answer. Provide one or dont post, attack me in a different thread please.

18HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:02 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

If you are looking for an actual answer go to a board meeting of the CMHR and ask it, you may just receive what it is you are looking for. Remember these meetings are open to the public as this project involves public money and all you have to do is ask the question. I don't pretend to have the answers and I am not about to sweep the concept under the table just because I don't agree with it and it is using my tax dollars. The people who are employed at the Friends of the Museum at this point don't have all the answers either as the final development of the educational plan has not been written in stone (nor should it ever be).
And if you think I was attacking you, then again you are sadly mistaken. Stop being so defensive, it's not always about you.

19HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:26 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Ok Dean...this is not an attack...this is information gathering.

I've posted as to how I THINK it will make things better.
Holly has presented her ideas as to how the CMHR will improve things (which is making things better).

So rather than just dismiss these presentations as drivel...please indicate your argument against the points made.

I've seen many points expressed...to list just a few:
1) Present a more versatile presentation that CANNOT be found in a classroom.
2) Present a more versatile presentation that CANNOT be found on the internet
3) Present a more versatile presentation that CANNOT be found in a book.
4) Present revolving exhibits which will address and educate some of the most heinous atrocities of mankind.
5) Create a centralized (this IS an "international" museum) location and centre for exhibits.
6) Provide a platform for some of the leaders in world human rights activism to express their views and concerns (and yes...that's in the CMHR literature).

So...rather than just dismiss them because of your apparent disapproval...explain how these are not better? Explain how each of these items do not improve things...since they currently do not exist at this level of presentation. Explain how making the museum (no matter where it's located) as grand and expansive as possible to provide the greatest opportunities available will not improve society.?

20HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I'll go to this museum when they have an exhibit dedicated to the Human Rights Violations of those Palestinians living in Gaza. When they showcase that then I think I will go. Very Happy

21HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:04 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"I've seen many points expressed...to list just a few:
1) Present a more versatile presentation that CANNOT be found in a classroom.
2) Present a more versatile presentation that CANNOT be found on the internet
3) Present a more versatile presentation that CANNOT be found in a book.
4) Present revolving exhibits which will address and educate some of the most heinous atrocities of mankind.
5) Create a centralized (this IS an "international" museum) location and centre for exhibits.
6) Provide a platform for some of the leaders in world human rights activism to express their views and concerns (and yes...that's in the CMHR literature)."

These are all great points...
Now how will they make things better?

22HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:17 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

The first 4 items show how things can be made better: EDUCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People need to LEARN about the atrocities and human rights, etc in order to evoke change. Without knowledge, how do you make the changes to break the cycle?

23HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

But... the knowledge is already out there in a huge quantity is it not?
We still have spouses abusing the other spouse, kids being kept in "dungeons" in their own home. Hell entire countries obliterating the rights of some of its inhabitants. Will this museum change any of that? Can it? Or will it just make "most" Canadians simply feel better about themselves because we know we are not like that for the most part?

24HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:28 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pfffft.

Let's close all universities because the knowledge is already out there in a huge quantity is it not?

Let's close all shelters because women are still abused.

/end sarcasm

25HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Empty Re: HOW WILL IT MAKE THINGS BETTER? Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:32 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

The knowledge may be there, but the presentation of it is not on our doorstep. Kids being kept in "dungeons" as you say won't have the access to the education in their home on how to become free but may see something that would help them if they have the opportunity to go to this museum through their school. People who are not willing to change never will and for the most part they are adults, but our children should be given that chance to make the decisions that are right for them and maybe, just maybe a few adults will make the change as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum