the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fund pathways to education, not to prison

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/editorials/fund-pathways-to-education-not-to-prison/article1930827/

So stupid trying to get people an education! Waste of resources, a huge cost to the system , and absolutely no benefit to the system!

For $5-million a year, the Conservative government has made an investment in young people that makes no sense.

There is mandatory tutoring, for those whose marks fall below a certain threshold. There are mentors and support workers. There is financial aid – free transit tickets or lunches (whatever is needed to get a student to school) and $1,000 a year toward postsecondary tuition.

The assessment found a $600,000 lifetime benefit to society for each student in the program.

This money could better be used in The Health care Department! What is Harper thinking about?

http://www.elansofas.com

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/editorials/fund-pathways-to-education-not-to-prison/article1930827/

So stupid trying to get people an education! Waste of resources, a huge cost to the system , and absolutely no benefit to the system!

For $5-million a year, the Conservative government has made an investment in young people that makes no sense.

There is mandatory tutoring, for those whose marks fall below a certain threshold. There are mentors and support workers. There is financial aid – free transit tickets or lunches (whatever is needed to get a student to school) and $1,000 a year toward postsecondary tuition.

The assessment found a $600,000 lifetime benefit to society for each student in the program.

This money could better be used in The Health care Department! What is Harper thinking about?
Actually I agree with the financial aid.
One of the beneficiaries of the program may turn out to be heart surgeon who could save my life or yours. Smile

Anonymous

From the article:

Ottawa's wrong-headedness on prisons involves more than just money. The government is squandering its energies figuring out all the ways to keep people in prison longer. It should be focusing on fostering innovation and producing a more educated population, thereby keeping people out of prison.

Up til this point, the article had my attention, but to make this statement indicates that there is an agenda at play here that I wish not to be part of thank you very much.

Some of our most dangerous criminals have been highly educated so this article is crap.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

And frankly some people need to spend time in jail. There has to be at least the threat of real punishment to deter some people from committing crime.

Anonymous

It is called discipline and god knows most morons in jail have never had it in their life . I still like the thought of mandatory military service it sorts out the fools at some point in life and puts them on the straight and narrow , with the ability to say Thank you , and please .

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:And frankly some people need to spend time in jail. There has to be at least the threat of real punishment to deter some people from committing crime.

But jail isn't "real" punishment.

I personally know a few people who specifically commit "small" crimes just to get thrown in jail for 6 months or so during the winter, for the free meals, housing, and clothing.

http://www.photage.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

"Some people" AA. Obviously there are people who won't find jail a deterrent.

I can assure you there are people out there who might be tempted to commit a crime and will reconsider because they don't ever want to spend a minute in jail.

Anonymous

Whether or not jail is a punishment and a deterrent is debatable, but one thing that is certain and that is that some people are kept isolated from society and society is safer because of it.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:Whether or not jail is a punishment and a deterrent is debatable, but one thing that is certain and that is that some people are kept isolated from society and society is safer because of it.

THIS.. 1000000% THIS.

I never could understand what some people dont get about that. Sure.. its "not" Bill's fault it was the alcohol, drugs, depression, whatever.... when those dont impact him he is "just fine". But when they do impact him.. he is violent, assaults people, steals stuff, whatever...

So lets just give him counselling right? That will solve the problem right?

oh wait.. whats that.. he just choked an old lady to death and left her body in the trunk of her car... or well lets increase the counselling.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Counselling is the panacea for all that ails society. Just ask the ndp and liberals. Oh, and the bloc.

I just don't get the cynicism...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum