the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prison Rights My A$$

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Prison Rights My A$$ Empty Prison Rights My A$$ Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:53 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Sun Media
Correctional Service of Canada has been forced to hire temporary workers to do the cleaning, cooking and other chores normally done by inmates who have gone "on strike" at an Ontario prison.

An employee source told Sun Media the inmates are angrily protesting "double-bunking" at the medium-high security Collins Bay prison in Kingston.

The work, education and program refusal has led to a near depletion of the inmates' welfare fund and could leave taxpayers footing the bill for prisoners' perks, such as specialty cable television services, said the source.

CABLE BILL
CSC spokeswoman Julie Doering said the department has been working with the inmate committee since August to resolve the situation "as quickly as possible."

"Our aim is to have the inmate population return to regular employment and education activities as soon as possible," she said.

Inmates earn $5.25-$6.90 a day for taking part in work and other programs, while those who refuse to participate in all programs are awarded a basic $1-a-day allowance. Doering said the inmates' welfare fund has enough left to pay next month's cable bill.

"We are hopeful that the inmate population will return to work so that they can continue to pay for this service," she said.

The prison guard source said temps have been working regularly to fill in for the striking inmates, but Doering said contracted staff have only been brought in on an "infrequent basis" to maintain cleanliness standards.

She said there has been no impact on the security of the institution, which is otherwise operating on a "normal routine."

But Jason Godin, Ontario's spokesman for the Union of Correctional Officers of Canada, said the idle inmates are causing more stress in prison where incidents of drugs and violence are already "off the radar scale."

"It does definitely create tensions for us. When these guys are refusing to go to work, that means they're not really engaging in a lot of meaningful stuff. That concerns us, because more time on their hands means more trouble for us," he said.

Godin said the double-bunking, new no-smoking policy and anti-drug strategy are all believed to be factors behind the strike.

The longer the strike continues the more inmates feel like they have the "upper hand," yet there's nothing staff can do to compel them to work.

MORE VIOLENCE
Guards have already voiced concern about the new "open-concept" retrofits at Collins Bay, and Godin said double-bunking in any prison can lead to more violence.

CSC policy states "single occupancy is the most desirable and correctionally appropriate method of housing offenders" and it makes every effort to reduce double-bunking where possible.

"At times, as a result of population management demands, two offenders will be housed in cells intended for one. Where it is necessary to accommodate two inmates in a cell, an assessment is made to ensure the safety of both inmates," the CSC said.
Not sure what "rights" these inmates are falling back on. If the correctional service cannot "make" these bozos work start taking away the perks. No cable TV (cable TV???); leave them in their cell 23 hours a day; no desserts at meals; whatever.

If they get violent take away all perks for one week. Keep extending the penalty until they get the message.

This is absurd.

2Prison Rights My A$$ Empty Re: Prison Rights My A$$ Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:52 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I agree 100%.

Rights? These inmates have no sinkin' RIGHTS!!!

I didn't know they were paid to work...I always thought it was part of their punishment.

If I was the warden, I would've put the place in lockdown the first time someone protested working.

Something I learned in the military...one person makes a mistake...EVERYONE suffers. It won't be long before the trouble-makers (usually 1 or 2 who incite) will be "brought in line" by the rest of the population.

http://www.photage.ca

3Prison Rights My A$$ Empty Re: Prison Rights My A$$ Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:40 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

its simple.. dont cook the food... no one eats... dont clean... everyone wears dirty clothes.

4Prison Rights My A$$ Empty Re: Prison Rights My A$$ Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:36 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I say lock the doors and set the place on fire. It would be a nice Corrections Canada bon-fire.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

5Prison Rights My A$$ Empty Re: Prison Rights My A$$ Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:48 am

Anonymous

Sad to say you are all right but prison riots are scary things and a guard held captive is the worst night mare . these changes have to be brought in slowly , if ever it is hard to go back once you start .
If you want to change it you have to start at the beginning and start at today lay the rules out clearly , expect all of the human rights groups to complain and the weak kneed public to cave in . It or we have so many times we love tough justice as long as your hands get dirty.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum