the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Terrorists in Prison: is there anything the Right doesn't fear?

+3
Freeman
Deank
JT Estoban
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

"The "debate"
over all the bad and scary things that will happen if Obama closes
Guantanamo and we then incarcerate those detainees in American prisons
is so painfully stupid even by the standards of our political discourse
that it's hard to put into words, and it also perfectly illustrates the
steps that typically lead to America's National Security policies"

Good article!
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/05/20/guantanamo/

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

240 terrorists

80 million to close the jail

uh... what?
how can it cost so damn much to close the jail?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I thought Obama said he was going ot close Guantanamo, wheres the debate?

Anonymous

What do you do with the prisoners? Who wants to take people that are/were terrorists, or who have become terrorists because of the treatment at Gitmo? (I mean other than the Liberal Party?)

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Who want's to take child molesters, rapists, hardcore criminals, serial killers...psychopaths? Yet they somehow managed to keep them in jail with out issue....how do you think that's possible?

How is that ANY DIFFERENT?

Anonymous

If they commit crimes in our country, it's our problem. Why should we be stuck with keeping foreign terrorists in our jails? There's a huge difference imo. Huge.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Perception is really what it is all about. And seriously, how long would a single one of these guys last in prison genpop or in protective custody before a door was accidently left unlocked?

Any inmate who offed one of these "terrorists" would pretty much be set for LIFE in prison.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:If they commit crimes in our country, it's our problem. Why should we be stuck with keeping foreign terrorists in our jails? There's a huge difference imo. Huge.

They committed crimes against your/our/their country...so what's the difference? Send them to trial, and give them a sentence. So long as they are locked up with the rest of the criminals, who cares?

Next, you'll be trying to tell me that the prisoners in jail don't want convicted terrorists serving hard time in a cell next to them...meanwhile they them selves are serving time for eating the brains of one of their victims.

Anonymous

Well, why don't we just become the world's prison then?

If you want to pay to upkeep these bastards, go for it, but keep your hands out of my pockets.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

The U.S. is already imprisoning more than anyone else...what's a few more?

What does paying to upkeep the bastards in a regular supermax prison compare to keeping them offshore, in a separate camp? I bet it's huge!

If anything, they'd be saving money!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF, I dont think the 80 million was going to be bringing them all to Canada... so like JT asks... whats the difference between America paying more to keep them in Cuba and America paying to keep them in American prisons?

Anonymous

I'm not speaking of them keeping their prisoners. I'm speaking of us keeping their prisoners.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well thats not what JT is speaking about Smile

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

No one is suggesting that Canada keep the U.S.'s prisoners....check out the article....

Wink

Anonymous

I have been listening to the debate thank you very much, and frankly, it gets down to what to do with the prisoners. Where do they go?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Put them in Prisons in New York
heh screw the prisons, just put out a media release to the public saying exactly where in New York you will be dropping them all of and at exactly what time.

Anonymous

Heh heh...problem solved....at no cost to the taxpayer.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Now, are these folks actually convicted of a crime under whatever US laws, or are these the detainees from Iraq/Afghanistan, who, in the good old days, would be Prisoners of War and held according to the articles of the Geneva Convention, but aren't cause its sort of really not a war?

Can you imagine if this type of crap was followed in WWII, when German U boat crews were captured and detained in Canada? How many of them killed or tried to kill Allied soldiers and sailors? No trials, just hold them until its over. Some even stayed after the war, and some came back to visit the families that they worked with as labourers while the husbands/sons were serving.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

As I understand it, these are the over two hundred or so "limbo" detainees....all the detainees who were brought to trial and found guilt were sentenced to jail time inside the U.S. and are there right now, as we speak.

"Convicted terrorist Zacarias Moussaoui has been held in a Supermax near Florence, Colorado since 2006. So far, Colorado has not been destroyed."

Interesting WW2 reference:

"the American government set up an array of prisoner of war camps throughout the United States.
I can't even imagine how our current batch of frightened Republicans,
Reid Democrats and cable news pundits would've reacted to the fact that
there were 425,000 -- nearly half a million -- Nazi and Axis prisoners
held on American soil and within roughly 600 different prisons."

Link to source of quoted text: Here

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the reality is though, that was a completely different sort of war.

Alot of the prisoners in WWII were just glad that they finally had some food and a good chunk of them never really believed in the war anyway. Where as alot of these prisoners, well they are willing to do almost anything because their god told them to.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yeah, that was a war that was actually declared....as where this one wasn't/hasn't.

And instead of willing do to almost anything because their god told them to, in WW2, they were willing to do almost anything because their Fuhrer/Emperor told them to.

That's about the only difference so far...

Oh wait, I thought of another one.....in that war, "they" (re: the bad guys) tortured and thus were tried and convicted of war crimes.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

", they were willing to do almost anything because their Fuhrer/Emperor told them to. "

Are we talking about American soldiers in IRAQ? What a Face

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

This is a pretty different situation. I think the term 'war on terror' was carefully chosen because it sounds good but doesn't actually mean anything. Really it's trying to stop enough people from supporting certain groups (both directly or financially or logistically) so that they can only do very limited damage. You'll never wipe out certain lines of thinking but you can limit their support enough to make them no longer a real danger. But you can't really do that through typical military means.
Okay, so you have a few hundred people locked up who may be able to provide outdated information. But how does that compare to the amount of support their groups have received because of the existance of the prison? Maybe they've only recieved 5 people worth of support while 300 are held, so it would be a net gain of 295. But maybe they have recieved 1000 worth of support. Hard to say. But that's the issue with keeping the place open. Is it actually helping or are they just making the problem worse? If some good information was obtained through torture, is that information good enough to offset the backlash once word of the torture gets out? Not like it's just a few guys in a clubhouse and once you get someone to tell you where that clubhouse is you can take care of them. What concerns me is that everytime Cheney give another interview saying it's good they tortured people, I can't help but think that he's just provided more amazing PR for these organizations to use for recruiting or fundraising purposes.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Anyway, back to the original question, or at least sort of. Is it right/correct/proper to put "terrorists" in the usual prisons? My take would be that they have to have been convicted of something and sentenced. Even those convicted of treason are held in federal institutions. If these are "detainees", then thats another issue.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

There's another tricky issue that will come into play here as well....

Some of these detainees, well, they aren't charged with anything....at all, yet the government claims that they are still dangerous...so they can't be released.

So what to do with them....the "limbo" detainees as it were...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum