the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cyclists want one-metre law: Drivers must keep their distance: lobby group

+8
Outsider
greenTYPEWRITERS
eViL tRoLl
St Norberter
Deank
Electrician
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.. not a billion, China has the world fastest growing number of SUVs.

Smile

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Point is what?

You state it isn't a viable means of transportation? Are you a used car salesman? Because unless you have vested interest in one mode of transportation, your statement is absolutely laughable.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Anonymous

^

Exactly.

Nor is it an environment condusive to cyclists in the winter.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Livio Ciaralli wrote:biking is an activity, not a viable mode of transportation. YOu want to be green, , support Transit and USE IT.

YOu want exercise, ride a stationary bike in the winter or find trails to ride your bike.
This is BS, cycling is the BEST mode of transportation globally - and the exercise it provides is an added bonus. Individual cars with combustion engines on the other hand are NOT a viable mode of transportation as they pose too much of a burden on society, health and the environment.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:^

Exactly.

Nor is it an environment condusive to cyclists in the winter.

Why? 'cause it's cold?

Actually, given the shitty job the city is doing in clearing right to the curb , I would argue that this is one of the better years to cycle in the winter since you can barely fit a vehicle in a lot of the curb lanes.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Geesh Liv...and you're running for office?

I agree with most of the first line...you're right...spending millions of dollars to convert lanes is stupid...I don't care if it's Winnipeg or Phoenix...there are already laws in place to deal with cyclists and drivers interacting on the roadway...has NOTHING to do with being winter.

and biking IS a viable means of transportation...even in the winter...provided BOTH sides of the issue (cyclists and motorists) abide by the laws in place.

http://www.photage.ca

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Temperature wise, Winnipeg is probably a safer city to winter cycle in than say Toronto or Montreal.

Anonymous

It's got nothing to do with the cold and everything to do with the snow and ice and lack of roadspace.

Anonymous

Ages, what does running have to do with me believing tht biking isn't a viable mode of transportation in the peg.

It isn't. Not for me anyways and not for the thousands and thousands , or 98% of the population perhaps more, who don't use biking for transportation.

Like i said, you want to be responsible to the envirionment, then use Transit. Its a system we've built , its a system that needs support, its a system that has proven itself over the decades to deliver a service people can benefit from.

What, someone aspiring to office can't state his honest opinion. That is also absurd.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I guess I should not be surprised at how this topic really polarizes people.

I think most people believe cycling is a viable means of transport even in Winnipeg.

I also believe riding a bike in the dead of winter in Winnipeg is very dangerous and should be discouraged.

I don't believe the cycling infrastructure in Winnipeg should be maintained in the dead of Winter. That is an enormous amount of money to spend on a select few die-hards that insist on cycling in Winnipeg in winter.

I also believe we can discuss this topic without calling each other morons.

Anonymous

Why take the fun out of the debate? Smile

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:It's got nothing to do with the cold and everything to do with the snow and ice and lack of roadspace.

Sure, Snow and Ice if you are riding on the sidewalk or the river. But if you are riding on main roads, snow and ice isn't an issue.Sure, snow and ice on residential routes, but most streets are dry.

In the 3 winters I biked, I wiped out once. It had nothing to do with not being able to deal with the conditions, it was because I didn't pay attention to the pedestrian who wiped on in fron of me 1/2 a block from my house on the snow packed street.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Livio Ciaralli wrote:It isn't. Not for me anyways and not for the thousands and thousands , or 98% of the population perhaps more, who don't use biking for transportation.
98% of the population not biking to work (wherever) does not invalidate that as a viable means of transportation. It does suggest there are better means available to us. Some take the bus. Looks like most of us drive.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Livio Ciaralli wrote:Ages, what does running have to do with me believing tht biking isn't a viable mode of transportation in the peg.

It isn't. Not for me anyways and not for the thousands and thousands , or 98% of the population perhaps more, who don't use biking for transportation.

Like i said, you want to be responsible to the envirionment, then use Transit. Its a system we've built , its a system that needs support, its a system that has proven itself over the decades to deliver a service people can benefit from.

What, someone aspiring to office can't state his honest opinion. That is also absurd.

That is absolutely retarded.

If you wanna promote environmentalism, then get people out of their single occupant vehicles and into transit.
A transit bus does more environmental damage than a bike does.

I think I am now convinced that you are a used car salesman.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

As for cycling infrastructure - by the city's definition it shouldn't be maintained in winter.

The 'hard' cycling infrastructure ( dedicated bike paths, roundabouts, etc) were designed for those cyclists that weren't comfortable cycling in traffic. Those cyclists will NEVER bike regularly in the winter, so why maintain them? it's like keeping the snow off tennis courts in the winter.

For those that are comfortable riding in traffic, there is no reason why it can't be done in the winter, and done safely. IMHO, the best cycling improvements are diamond and painted bike lanes. The city doesn't paint any lanes in winter, so there is now inter upkeep there.

Anonymous

Ok let me clarify. FOR ME, a person who goes to multiple places over long distances in the city and carries equipment. It isn't viable.

From MY observations of those driving around me, it isn't viable.

Perhaps for those that have a set point to point pattern it works. Perhaps for those that "want' to ride a bike to complete this pattern , it works.

All I am saying is that my observation and experi3nce tells me, it isn't a viable transportation ode for the vast majority of the public and that Transit offers a more efficient solution.

As for exercise, i already mentioned you can ride a stationary bike or use off roadway trails.

Anonymous

St Norb, you looking to pick a fight ?

Because i take some offence to being called a used car salesman.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Livio Ciaralli wrote:Ok let me clarify. FOR ME, a person who goes to multiple places over long distances in the city and carries equipment. It isn't viable.

Which makes sense and it fine. On certain days it isn't a viable method for me either.

Livio Ciaralli wrote:From MY observations of those driving around me, it isn't viable.

Perhaps for those that have a set point to point pattern it works. Perhaps for those that "want' to ride a bike to complete this pattern , it works.

All I am saying is that my observation and experi3nce tells me, it isn't a viable transportation ode for the vast majority of the public and that Transit offers a more efficient solution.

Transit isn't more efficient than biking. In a lot of cases biking is faster. And if you have too much stuff to carry on bike, then transit probably isn't a good alternative either.

Anonymous

Biking is only efficient if you have a seperate path to ride. We don't. Perhaps if we followed the rivers.

Transit is more efficient than biking. Biking doesn't offer a substantial movement of people like Transit does.

Butin the end .....whatever. , ride your bike, I'll take the car.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

No. Biking is more efficient regardless of separate path/road.

My bike ride is quicker than my bus ride and the route is exactly the same.

You can fit almost the same number of people on bikes in the same road space as a bus. And whee you factor in the reduced monetary and environmental costs of riding a bike vs a transit, bikes are substantially more efficient.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well... technically.. 40 bikes do require 40 people expending energy to ride those bikes. Energy coming from consuming food that is turned into calories.

Food that is usually "trucked" in. So if everyone was consuming say (and I dont know the actual number) 1000 extra calories a day ..how much does 40,000 extra calories a day cost to truck in (and cook) and is that number actually lower then what the cost in energy is for the bus?

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

You're assuming the people on the bus don't eat?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

need to eat more to power your legs when using them, then when not using them

note the "extra" part of extra calories.

Smile

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

And if you want to get really technical Dean.....

In theory anyone who pays property taxes should be encouraging more people to bike, since the wear and tear on infrastructure from cycling is not anywhere close to the wear and tear from Buses and Cars. Less wear and tear equals less infrastructure repairs, equals less taxes.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:need to eat more to power your legs when using them, then when not using them

Smile

Actually...it's been proven that people who exercise more...EAT LESS!!!

So the savings get passed on, as LESS food must be trucked in for those cyclists.

http://www.photage.ca

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:need to eat more to power your legs when using them, then when not using them

Smile

Given the physical proportions of most I see on a bus, they wouldn't need to start eating more calories for at least 6 months after they started cycling. They could live off their excess fat stores until then.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum