the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cyclists want one-metre law: Drivers must keep their distance: lobby group

+8
Outsider
greenTYPEWRITERS
eViL tRoLl
St Norberter
Deank
Electrician
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Outsider

contributor plus
contributor plus

IMO the sad part is that I do not think any incumbent councilors lost their jobs over the way the money was spent.

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

I wish cyclists would give me one metre of clearance when they pass me on the sidewalk.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The Winnipeg sun is consistent with it's broadsheet brethren: they both employ total morons as journalists and columnists and editors: To wit:
By JOYANNE PURSAGA, WINNIPEG SUN

The push to force drivers to give cyclists more space is based on the best of intentions.

Clearly, its supporters hope to protect vulnerable bikers from contact with several-thousand-pound vehicles that could easily hurt or kill them.

The concern itself is valid. At least two cyclists were hospitalized with injuries and another one was killed after Winnipeg crashes with vehicles over the past 12 months. Bike couriers say minor hits and near misses are also alarmingly frequent.

Nova Scotia approved a law to force drivers to allow at least one metre between their vehicles while passing cyclists in December and more than a dozen U.S. states have banned cars from coming within an equitable three feet of bike riders.

Now the local group Bike to the Future is pushing Manitoba to do the same.

The problem is this trendy law might prove all but useless in this province.

Of course, it would be courteous and thoughtful for drivers to move over and voluntarily share the road.

But enforcing such a law would be difficult at best, since gauging the distance between bikes and cars could be tough for police. Unless a cyclist is actually hit or a near miss is caught on video, it would be tough to objectively prove when this crime has occurred.

Plus, Manitoba’s Highway Traffic Act already requires drivers to leave “a safe distance” when passing cyclists, so tacking on an exact measurement for that distance is unlikely to solve the problem.

A redundant new law likely won’t convince scofflaws to change their ways.

As a Winnipeg bus driver told the Sun, there’s doubt some Winnipeg road lanes can even accomodate both a bus or other large vehicle, a cyclist and the one-metre buffer zone all at once. Depending on a cyclist’s exact path, drivers may not always have time or clearance enough to change lanes and create that space.

We also can’t overlook the fact some law-breaking cyclists regularly weave through tiny gaps in traffic lanes to pass vehicles, putting themselves in peril.

With that in mind, a one-sided law for driver-controlled distances can only go so far.

There’s got to be a better way to make the road safer for everyone who uses it.

As the tiny bike routes sketched out within existing traffic lanes show, there’s clearly a shortage of space for bike riders to carry out their commutes.

Cyclists have a valid, healthy and environmentally savvy mode of transportation that the city must continue to address.

In an ideal world of limitless budgets, this would be done by expanding routes to add bikes paths of a realistic size, preferably with raised buffers to block out cars. In the real world, where infrastructure needs already drain the City of Winnipeg’s budget, we may have no better option than to allow cyclists to ride on the sidewalk.

Like it or not, the risk cyclists pose to pedestrians is simply not that great. A cyclist has a much shorter stopping distance than a car and can more easily swerve around a person on foot. Even if a collision occurs, the damage inflicted by a bicycle on a pedestrian would most likely result in bumps and bruises, not the potentially life-threatening injuries vehicles cause cyclists.

Perhaps we could revamp sidewalks to designate certain paths, or at least parts of them, for bicycles only. This seems to work quite well on combined running and cycling trails already in several parts of the city.

The only sure way to protect cyclists is not to force them to compete with cars for space.

joyanne.pursaga@sunmedia.ca

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Hard to believe some people actually think this is a good idea.
Of course they would change their mind if their mother broke her hip because she could not get out of the way of the bike barreling down on her fast enough. Sad

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What-chu talkin' about Willis? The brain-surgeon of a writer said the damage inflicted by a bicycle on a pedestrian would most likely result in bumps and bruises...

Bibbly

Bibbly

I made my statement very blunt.
I'm not going to teach people third grade English.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Blunt? No, Vague? Yes.

Bibbly

Bibbly

Bibbly wrote:This is a silly proposition that shouldn't have been so publicly acknowledged.
The proposition of a 1m leeway on roads for cyclists is silly.
How is this not in plain English?
How can these be anymore clear?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think you'll agree the consensus, around here at least, is most folks don't see this proposition as viable. So sure, it's a silly proposition.

What do you mean by "so publicly acknowledged"?

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Perhaps in some areas with sidewalks on both sides of the street they could designate one side for pedestrians and one side for bicycle traffic. Paint them different colours or something. That way you instantly have more bike paths, and greatly reduce the risk of bicycle/pedestrian and bicycle/automobile collisions. The cost would be minimal, seems like a win/win to me. I rarely if ever see more than 2-3 pedestrians in a 1 block stretch almost anywhere in this city, it's not like having only one side open for pedestrians would cause huge problems with crowding.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Would cyclists think that a one metre rule for them when around pedestrians is a good idea also?

Or better yet, perhaps they could fit thier bikes with a device, like a big hula-hoop which would clearly define the one metre!! It would certainly save a lot of arguments.

Anonymous

Why don't we restrict bikes to the boulevards?

What I find curious is that we seem to have created a problem that didn't seem to exist before.

Why suddenly all the need for bike paths? I don't see any increase in the number of cyclists around.

Whatz up wit dat?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That's that lobby group and politicos with no nads...

Anonymous

Prime example of the tail wagging the dog. Disgraceful bullshit imo.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

My own impression is that the number oc cyclists is increasing, but I just don't understand why a group, who make no contribution to the maintenance of infrastructure, demand, yes DEMAND, that countless $$'s be spent on them.

Why not just exercise simple common sense and courtesy and enjoy the ride?

Anonymous

I very much doubt that the number of (commuting) cyclists has increased in the winter.

Recreational cycling in the summer has increased a bit I'm sure, but these people aren't the issue imo.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The number of winter cyclists seems to have increased, but it could be misleading, as only takes a few to really screw up traffic.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

What a surprise... as the population increases there are more people doing any one particular thing.

Anonymous

Ahhhh.....with the slight increase in our population, there shouldn't be any noticable increase.

I believe it's just plain lobbying that has done it...and the aforesaid justifications.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Winklovic wrote:I wish cyclists would give me one metre of clearance when they pass me on the sidewalk.

I wish you'd stick your arm out and clothesline the idiot riding on the sidewalk!!!

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

How about doing the same with cyclists that pass all the cars stopped at red lights?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nah.. they get a stick through the spokes.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:Ahhhh.....with the slight increase in our population, there shouldn't be any noticable increase.

I believe it's just plain lobbying that has done it...and the aforesaid justifications.
Winnipeg has grown what? 100k~ in the last 20 years?

Anonymous

How about 25K.

650ish in '91....675 in 10.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/population.pdf

I very much doubt that new immigrants are the winter cyclist type. (lol...I can just picture some guy from Africa riding his bike around in -25 weather....)

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:My own impression is that the number oc cyclists is increasing, but I just don't understand why a group, who make no contribution to the maintenance of infrastructure, demand, yes DEMAND, that countless $$'s be spent on them.

Why not just exercise simple common sense and courtesy and enjoy the ride?

You do realize that infrastructure maintenance is paid for primarily by property taxes right?

And most cyclists pay property taxes either directly or indirectly.

The 'Cyclists don't pay for infrastructure argument' is complete BS.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Almost as BS as 'make cyclists pay insurance' to cover the costs of their accidents argument.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum