the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Police Trap : For Cyclists?

+11
St Norberter
grumpyrom
Triniman
holly golightly
AGEsAces
Deank
wolfrom
rosencrentz
Electrician
grumpy old man
anny
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Anonymous

Today I had a few errands to run around 3 30, and to my surprise, there were cops arresting and ticketing cyclists for riding on the walkway across the Osborne Bridge. I've never seen it before.

Luckily I always ride on the road, but I saw at least 2 cyclist being detained (probably getting tickets). I was quite surprised, considering I've always thought that would be a pretty low priority on their list.

2Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:10 pm

anny

contributor
contributor

They run a cyclist trap regularly at that location.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

3Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:12 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It should be low priority but I guess they have to enforce all the laws from time to time. I actually sympathize with cyclists at that location. Traffic is insane and the bridge is tight. Perhaps cyclists will have to ride on the road like they are supposed to or walk their bikes over the bridge.

4Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Anonymous

anny wrote:They run a cyclist trap regularly at that location.

Funny. I've never noticed them before.

5Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:It should be low priority but I guess they have to enforce all the laws from time to time. I actually sympathize with cyclists at that location. Traffic is insane and the bridge is tight. Perhaps cyclists will have to ride on the road like they are supposed to or walk their bikes over the bridge.

Yeah, it's about time we emulated Calgary, and built more cycling trails.

6Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

lol. We can't even use our rollerblades on the sidewalks here in Trieste...
(The cops run after you... and besides, the sidewalks are already full of illegally parked cars...).

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

7Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:15 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Nah. Cyclists should just drive cars. Or take the bus. Or walk. frick 'em.

8Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:17 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Maybe cyclists should go to CA for rehab...
(cyclists anonymous)
lol!

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

9Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:22 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I wonder what would happen if all cyclists went to fight the ticket and claimed that it was life threatening to try and drive on the street?

http://www.elansofas.com

10Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:45 pm

wolfrom

wolfrom

I suppose cyclists are simply supposed to dismount on bridge sidewalks, but I would have difficulty walking my bike the whole length of the Disraeli Freeway twice a day.

I know that it's illegal, but I feel like they should post dismount signs on bridges like that where cyclists don't feel they can take the road. Then it wouldn't feel so sneaky for them to ticket cyclists all of the sudden.

http://www.reganwolfrom.ca/

11Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:57 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Maybe what they should do is allow cyclists to use sidewalks on one side of a bridge and pedestrians the other. Short term solution until all cyclists can afford cars...

12Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:07 pm

wolfrom

wolfrom

A cycling-friendly lane might be a good idea. It could be like we have it at the skating rinks at our community club. One rink for sticks, one rink without.

http://www.reganwolfrom.ca/

13Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I wonder what biking over the disreli was like before they realized they should pave it? that must have been crazy.

14Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:18 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

If it was not paved before it must have been hell for the cars as well.

15Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:24 pm

anny

contributor
contributor

Biking over the Disraeli is actually fine, I find. The lanes are wide enough. Salter's good too. Osborne is NOT.

I really enjoy cycling. Good exercise, faster than a bus, and all it costs is time and effort! Smile I'm pretty confident about taking a lane when I need to.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

16Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:01 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:If it was not paved before it must have been hell for the cars as well.

I cant remember where I watched a clip? something that Mr C or Mr P had found and posted maybe? But yeah it was more then a little loud.

17Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:03 am

Anonymous

I'm still upset that the city didn't designate that old railroad that was dismantled 10 years ago as a bike path. It would have made the perfect commute from River Heights right through to Red River College. I guess giant parking lots for big box stores like future Shop and Best Buy take precident over cyclists.

18Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:37 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You guessed right. How many cyclists are there out there anyway? We have 8 months where cyclists are not to be seen. And four months where a few peek their heads up. Let them pay the same taxes, insurance and licensing fees I do and then maybe we can consider some "special" lanes.

Where else do we pander to a decided minority? Hmmmm.

19Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:44 am

Anonymous

anny wrote:
Biking over the Disraeli is actually fine, I find. The lanes are wide enough. Salter's good too. Osborne is NOT.

The Osborne bridge seems ill-designed imo. They should have narrowed the center median and accomodated bikes with the extra space....PLUS had a barrier between the cars and bikes/presbyterians for safety.

But ticketing cyclists is just another money grab imo, and not about safety. Poor use of resources.

20Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Come on GOM...I know you're just playing "devil's advocate" here.

I'm glad to hear they are finally ticketing cyclists...though they should be focusing on Portage Avenue from Main to Arlington before they worry about a silly bridge.

I find it funny that there's big signs on Portage sidewalks that indicate "no skateboarding"...yet cyclists think it's ok to put larger vehicles with wheels amongst the pedestrians.

Maybe they'll start cracking down on these idiots who insist on riding the sidewalks. On my way to work today, I took 3 riders off the sidewalk myself...and put them out on the street where they belong.

http://www.photage.ca

21Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:52 am

Anonymous

🤺

22Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:22 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Next time you are approaching the Osborne Bridge take a good look and you will see the no bike signs posted. And the lanes going over that bridge do have a small lane with solid marking, similar to the lane marking on the Maryland Bridge by the Mis so there shouldn't be an issue. I agree with ticketing cyclists if there is marking like at this bridge, along Portage Avenue, etc. But I also would like to see motorists ticketed if a police officer were to see a motorist endangering a cyclist by not giving the proper distance to pass - change lanes if there are no cars in the lane next and if not possible to change lanes, minimum of 3 metres. Maybe then the motorists of Winnipeg would begin to have some respect for those of us who commute by cycle and understand that we are just another form of road transportation.

23Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I agree with you there Holly.
I always give as much room as possible for cyclists riding properly.
It's their lane...they are in front of me.
I wouldn't ride up and push a motorcycle off the lane...why would I push a bicycle.

24Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:26 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Nah, not devil's advocate. Sh1te disturber/playful. Smile

25Police Trap : For Cyclists? Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:28 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:Nah, not devil's advocate. Sh1te disturber/playful. Smile

Same thing Wink

Although I think I'll now call you Puck.
Police Trap : For Cyclists? Puck

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum