the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Police Trap : For Cyclists?

+11
St Norberter
grumpyrom
Triniman
holly golightly
AGEsAces
Deank
wolfrom
rosencrentz
Electrician
grumpy old man
anny
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

26Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:28 am

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:Nah, not devil's advocate. Sh1te disturber/playful. Smile

Same thing Wink

Although I think I'll now call you Puck.
Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Puck

http://www.photage.ca

27Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:47 am

anny

contributor
contributor

Road maintenance isn't only funded by car-associated fees and taxes.

Also, supporting green modes of transportation should be in everyone's best interest. The less cars there are on the road, the better for cars that are driving, too. No traffic jams.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

28Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:54 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Agreed anny. But there are simply no bikes on the road between November/December and February/March.

Being a realist... ...it is okay to create cyclist infrastructure but not at the expense of the single largest user, and payer, of roads.

29Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:59 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Agreed anny. But there are simply no bikes on the road between November/December and February/March.

Being a realist... ...it is okay to create cyclist infrastructure but not at the expense of the single largest user, and payer, of roads.
I see some nutcases, err, cyclists, on the roads even in the dead of winter. Not a whole lot, mind you, but some brave souls wiling to risk their lives.

30Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:02 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

True. Should we pander to the one in 250,000 who wishes to ride his bike in winter? Don't forget the roads are in bad condition, especially near the curb. They pose a real danger to themselves and others when cycling in those conditions.

31Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:07 am

anny

contributor
contributor

I would bike in the winter if it weren't so dangerous - ie. bike lanes or paths where there's no trouble of a car swerving into me. Cyclists will take longer routes if they're safer. I don't need to go down Osborne if there's a bike path going through the adjoining communities.

32Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:14 am

anny

contributor
contributor

I wonder if there are streets with homeowners that would agree to bike only streets except for local access for commuting times. For example, Wellington Crescent is car-free on Sundays and holidays so it only makes sense to use that street if you're going east-west along Portage.

Motorists complain so badly about bike lanes and the winter, etc, etc, but it's more widely used in other larger cities, with larger vehicle populations. I really like the lanes in Montreal.

Parking | bike lane with raised concrete barriers of about 2" | car lane

What about just getting rid of street parking on certain streets to turn them into bike lanes/turning lanes?

33Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:18 am

Anonymous

We cannot afford to maintain the roads that we presently have, never mind building an entire bike network to be used mostly just seasonally.

It should be on the list, but rather far down at this point in time imo.

34Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 am

anny

contributor
contributor

What about the path by Gateway? It's used by more than cyclists - pedestrians, a safe place for kids trying out new bikes, etc.

It would also require less maintenance after the initial investment. It's more akin to paving a sidewalk.

What about just modifying the existing roads?

35Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:28 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

It wouldn't be hard to put in bike lanes in the spring when the city is painting the main roads with the lane lines. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to say that you need to put a 3 metre wide lane line from downtown to the perimeter along Portage Ave in the curb lane, along Ellice Ave from downtown to Ferry Road. Main Street from downtown to the north perimter, Henderson Highway from the base of the freeway to the perimetre, St Mary's Road from the Norwood Bridge to the perimetre, Pembina Highway from confusion corner to the perimetre. At least on Regent from Kildonan Place Shopping Centre to Plessis Road the curb lane is designated as a cycling lane (although it is a sharrow and not restictive). There are others that are also designated but only for a short portion of the way and there are also alternate streets that are designated as cycling routes but why do we need to be that restrictive, I like to travel by cycle to work in the most effectient manner and that sometimes means I have to travel on the main routes.

36Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"I wonder if there are streets with homeowners that would agree to bike only streets except for local access for commuting times. "

Which is the biggest time that bikes would be used... ie for commuting.. so it kind of loses its luster as an idea no?

"What about just getting rid of street parking on certain streets to turn them into bike lanes/turning lanes?"

Where do the homeowners park cars then? You know.. the home owners who are paying the taxes for the street maintenance? Its not a completely bad idea, but it would require 100% approval of all homeowners on that street and that would be difficult if not impossible to get.

I for one completely hate these moronic sharrows. All they will do is give cyclists a false sense of security.

37Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 am

anny

contributor
contributor

holly, great idea! On streets that are quite wide, especially those with generous parking lanes (like Sherbrook, for example), why not just put in a bike lane? We could have it in dotted yellow or white to show motorists that it's just for the season. It could just be a more defined separation of the parking lane so that cars would know when they've parked too far into the street.

38Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:31 am

Anonymous

I'm not sure that the existing roads were made to accomodate an additional 'lane' for bikes. I think that part of the problem is that we have very inconsistant roadways. But if it's just a matter of painting lines, they should be doing so wherever possible.

39Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:32 am

anny

contributor
contributor

No, FOR commuting times.

I didn't mean residential streets. I mean main streets, like along Portage Avenue.

40Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:33 am

anny

contributor
contributor

We don't need bike lanes on every street - just a couple or a few main routes going north-south and east-west, spread out across the city.

41Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:34 am

anny

contributor
contributor

Sharrows are better than nothing. Cars don't respect the space a cyclist needs because they DON'T KNOW the law...

42Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:38 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Cars don't respect the space a cyclist needs because they DON'T KNOW the law..."
I disagree with that statement.
It has nothing to do with the law in my opinion. Its because cyclists are slower AND because cyclists break the law too often and it pisses people off and makes them want to break the law as well.

How many times do you need to legally pass a cyclist who is going 50% of the posted speed limit. Only to arrive at a red light and have that cyclist weave in and out of the parked cars and end up illegally at the front of the line again...before you get pissed off at him?

43Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:42 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Maybe when I stop seeing cyclists regularly ignoring 4 ways stop signs, making illegal turns, and hopping curbs onto sidewalks during traffic delays, I'll start to take their complaints seriously. The vast MAJORITY of cyclists I see everyday completely ignore the HTA that governs all vehicles on public roads including bicycles.

We have quite a few avid cyclists at my worklace and most will freely admit to blowing through stop signs and red lights if "they see it's all clear", because they are slowed down by them. Excuse me? Guess what, stop signs and red lights cost me time too but I dont get to choose to ignore them because the intersection is clear. I for one am glad to see the police out enforcing the laws for cyclists as well.

I've had far too many come flying out in front of me in my neighbourhood at 2 way stop signs, where I've had the right of way and they choose to ignore the stop sign in their direction of travel. One of these days one of them is going to get broadsided by a vehicle they didn't see in their rush to save time and it will be the evil drivers fault they are dead.

Once the majority start following the majority of traffic laws then we can start talking about special lanes. Till then suck it up.

44Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:44 am

Anonymous

^
Oh, but besides that, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?

45Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

anny wrote:I would bike in the winter if it weren't so dangerous - ie. bike lanes or paths where there's no trouble of a car swerving into me. Cyclists will take longer routes if they're safer. I don't need to go down Osborne if there's a bike path going through the adjoining communities.
But we'd have to clear all those paths of snow and ice. Not sure this is a cost effective process given that you and one other cyclist will be using those paths.

46Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:01 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

If there were actual usable paths that were kept clear in the winter time. I would wager a guess that in normal winter temps ( above -25) the paths would be very well used.

Chicken and egg type thing though as there is no way of validating that statement without doing it. And if we are wrong, well damn.. thats a huge expense wasted.

47Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:02 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There are some paths today. How well used are they?

48Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:05 am

Anonymous

I doubt that our streets can be rejigged to allow for paths to be consistant. What's the point of a hit-and-miss path?

49Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:06 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

where are these paths GOM and how often are they cleared... and ... more to the point where do they get you? Half way to downtown?

50Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:09 am

anny

contributor
contributor

I disagree with your disagreement!

I think cyclists break laws on purpose. Motorists, on the other hand, hold a double standard. Many are annoyed that the cyclist will pull up next to them at a red light, but think nothing of doing the same to a cyclist. Or, they get annoyed at a cyclist who's biking past on their right (aka passing), but will pass dangerously close to a cyclist. Cyclists realize they're breaking a law when they do that. It's obvious because we're so small compared to a car. I have made the mistake of biking up next to an irate motorist who sneaks his car over. I don't do that any more. I learned my lesson, but if there's a metre of space - heck yeah I'll bike up - especially if a pedestrian's planning to walk, making a car wait to turn, whereas I could go straight immediately. I don't think cars think twice about the 3 metres or that a cyclist has every right to the lane.

Yeah, I will admit I do break laws when I cycle.

If it is ALL CLEAR, I will go through a red light. I rarely do this anymore, though, because the double standard got to me and I feel guilty doing it. It's only at the extremely long lights where there are no pedestrians, no cars, and it looks like someone pressed the walk button and jaywalked or the lights have been set up inefficently. Otherwise, I'll wait.

I slow down almost to a stop for stop signs and check if there are no other cars/pedestrians around. I STOP for pedestrians and take my turn with any other vehicle on the road. I don't want to die, after all. Cars roll through stop signs ALL the freakin' time. It annoys the heck out of me when they do that AND there are other cars/pedestrians/cyclists trying to use the same intersection. It's FAR more dangerous for a car to run a red or a stop sign than a cyclist. And what about stopping behind the sidewalk?? How many cars follow that?

I will also pop on the sidewalk if the road is dangerous, it's raining hard, etc. But I will dismount if there's a pedestrian using the sidewalk and no safe way around (narrow sidewalk).

51Police Trap : For Cyclists? - Page 2 Empty Re: Police Trap : For Cyclists? Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:10 am

anny

contributor
contributor

Is there a map of existing paths on the City website?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum