the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Now I know how my tax dollars are spent....

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I've been at owrk since 7:00 and I had to go downstairs for something. There was a City of Winnipeg 1/2ton out front, and one guy was painting the lines on the crosswalk while the other guy sat in the truck. This crosswalk is on a fairly busy street, just a couple of blocks from HSC and its also a bus route.

1) Why would anyone want to funnel traffic down to one lane each way on a major thoroughfare during rush hour? Wouldn't on a Saturday or Sunday be less disruptive, hell, even during the day would, but at rush hour?

2) One guy sat in the truck on his phone (texting, but its ok, he was in the passenger seat)from when I first noticed at 7:30 until just a few minutes ago (8:30) while the other guy painted the lines.

3) The truck just left, but the pylons remain, so I figure they're letting the paint dry and they're heading off for coffee or something.

OK, OK, I know I'm being picky, but multiply this scenario daily, over the summer months, and this equates to a lot of unproductive, paid time. And guess who pays for it?

Anonymous

Osborne @ the Leg had a lane closed for a week before any work was begun, and when it was, there were only two guys working on the job.

The city is run by idiots!!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

These bozos do this all the time. There does not seem logic at play in these matters.

Some will say it'll cost more during evenings and weekends. Balderdash say's I. Hire people to work Saturday to Wednesday or Wednesday to Saturday. That's their shift!

Work 6 hour days on the weekends. Do whatever it takes to minimize traffic disruptions, especially on major thoroughfares.

Anonymous

That would be the intelligent way to do things though....

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I agree GOM. Thats their shift. Seems to work quite well anywhere else that does it.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

On Marion, yesterday and this morning, in the westbound curb lane, near Archibald, these bozos decided to block one lane. Last night traffic was backed up for a kilometer. This morning all the way to Dawson Road. Jokers all...

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:These bozos do this all the time. There does not seem logic at play in these matters.

Some will say it'll cost more during evenings and weekends. Balderdash say's I. Hire people to work Saturday to Wednesday or Wednesday to Saturday. That's their shift!

Work 6 hour days on the weekends. Do whatever it takes to minimize traffic disruptions, especially on major thoroughfares.

According to the COW website...if you see workers on the streets on a Sunday, or late at night, they are NOT working overtime hours...that is their scheduled time for work (unless it's an emergency road repair).

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

...and you can be sure they are sub-contractors too.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:...and you can be sure they are sub-contractors too.

In some cases...but that would not apply for costs, as a contract is generally a "fixed" contract, and the workers are not paid direct by the city.

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

Obviously.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am willing to bet that there is 1 department that puts up the warning barriers in most cases, and another department that does the work!
Not in painting white lines, but when there is major work to do. that is why there are blockades and no work being done.
One day driving down route 90 heading towards Academy Road there was one whole lane blocked off that I noticed on Thursday morning. On Friday at evening rush hour the lane was still blocked off, causing a backlog of cars to Ness. When I got home, I walked over to the offending barriers, and tossed them onto the sidewalk. I had to walk all the way over the St.James bridge a good long block tossing these premature barriers,until the last one was out of the way. That opened up the 2nd lane to the rush hour traffic and of course on Monday morning the work crews were there putting the barriers back up, so they could start Monday work. 4 days those barriers would have been up with no workers. That is City works and operations efficiency!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

The city has a brain deficiency.

How the frick can they justify their stupidity??

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

we dont fire people for mistakes?

Anonymous

I know. They are promoted.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The Peter Principle.

Anonymous

exactly

our city is loaded with people that have been put into positions that they have no understanding of...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum