the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg

+35
RogerStrong
Miz point
Northlands
umcrouc0
toban71
Bark and Bite
Mantha
eViL tRoLl
trebor204
AGEsAces
djh
holly golightly
casualchris
Goth_chic
usedtoliveinstb
death128
St Norberter
JT Estoban
Bartron
Jondo
SuperNaut
Triniman
FlyingRat
USApegger
cherenkov
rosencrentz
LivingDead
EdWin
GGF
Outsider
Mr_Point
Deank
Electrician
sputnik
grumpy old man
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 23 of 27]

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

We were in that situation once.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

So, after December 31st, this Hulsizer guy will come forward and ask for his $25 million invested in the team, plus interest??? Price update: 175+25=200. Add 3 months to the tab and you got quite an expensive team for anybody...
By the time a deal is struck, the franchise will be worth at least $400 million... and will declare bankruptcy... and will fold.
bottom line...
We still have the Avco World Trophy, and nobody will take it away.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Looks like the Phoenix to Winnipeg dream is dead. Again. Good luck to the dude that bought the team. My guess, in short order, dude will be complaining that he needs a better deal or a break from the league or that he has to move it.

I guess we pin our dreams on a Nashville or Atlanta or Florida or Columbus....

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Why doesn't someone get the Aspers to divert $300,000,000 to get the Jets here and put a frickin roof on the new proposed arena? That would make sense!

http://www.elansofas.com

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

I think this is a long way from being over. To me it's just posturing on both sides, (NHL & Glendale), basically trying to fix the blame when it fails

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You may well be right USApegger. I can't understand why anyone would pay to keep a team in Phoenix that has lost $300 million since it arrived and can't draw flies despite having a very good team.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

What I had heard, this isn't a done deal by any stretch...

Apparently this Chicago dude who's interested in buying the team only wants to pay $130 some odd millions for the team, meanwhile the NHL who owns the team and has taken a huge loss ever since, has gotten Glendale to pay $25 million for operating losses this year...they want $165 millions or so as a minimum.

So the fight will be on, who pays the difference?

Many are speculating Glendale will have to decide if they'll be kicking in the difference to keep the team in it's arena!

Nice...

It ain't over yet!

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

They'll probably find some wicked way of not paying taxes at all...
Or even...
Glendale might fill the tab and then tax the escrement out of the new owners...

Maybe then.... maybe then... they'll move to Toronto to be the grannies' second NHL team...

I'd move the team to Flin Flon...
At least, there, they'll have a chance against global warming...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

biz community would snap up the luxury suites

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/2010/10/21/15784821.html

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It amazes me at the level of negativity on this subject. I remember debates where the negatrons said corporate Winnipeg would not support the NHL at NHL prices. This article does not guarantee success but it sure goes a long way towards answering another unknown...

People need to get off their high horses. If the team does not succeed then the only loss is to the investors. Unless and until public money is involved it does not belong in this debate.

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Agree with GOM.

In my opinion, I believe there is a solid majority in favor of the NHL returning, and I also believe they will be well supported at NHL prices.

Slightly off topic but almost as many at the Moose game as those that showed up for the Coyotes/Kings in Phoenix last night

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yet some bozo with more money than common sense wants to keep them in that market. He must consider himself a brilliant marketer-extraordinaire... Nothing will save that franchise from losing ten's of millions annually in the desert.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Winnipeg has size and wealth to support NHL franchise

By QMI Agency

Another prominent voice is in Winnipeg’s corner when it comes to the pursuit of an NHL franchise.

In an article on hot topics in economics, Conference Board of Canada director Mario Lefebvre said Winnipeg, Quebec City and Hamilton all deserve NHL franchises because they have the “four pillars necessary to the success of a professional sports organization.”

Lefebvre says those pillars are 1) the size of the market; 2) the wealth of the market; 3) a sound corporate presence; 4) a level playing field.

The director for the Centre for Municipal Studies says Winnipeg’s population is adequate to support a team and the city actually has a higher income per capita than Montreal (and on par with Vancouver). He goes on to say that Winnipeg has more large corporations than both Ottawa and Edmonton, cities that currently have NHL franchises.

Finally, Lefebvre points to the strong Canadian dollar as a means of levelling the playing field, a situation which did not exist when the Winnipeg Jets and Quebec Nordiques struggled to make ends meet during the 1990s. He said the Conference Board of Canada expects the loonie will stay at par with the U.S. dollar for the foreseeable future.

Winnipeg lost its NHL team when the Jets moved to Phoenix in 1996. Manitoba Moose owner Mark Chipman and business partner David Thomson have been in discussions to move the Phoenix Coyotes to the 15,000-seat MTS Centre, but it appears a deal may be completed to keep the team in Arizona.

Anonymous

Well, if they, indeed, do move the Phoenix Coyotes to the MTS Centre, won't the commute be a problem?

But seriously, the dynamics have changed dramatically since the Jets moved and, for the reason stated in your quote, we easily could support an NHL team imo.

The major factor being the Canadian dollar at par for the foreseeable future.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

"Winnipeg has more large corporations than both Ottawa and Edmonton..."

Really?

That's good but I am surprised.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

""Winnipeg has more large corporations than both Ottawa and Edmonton...""
WRHA
MB HYDRO
MB HEALTH

Razz

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

You forgot Slavko's Ukrainian Perogy Shop.
Billions and Billions made.
(I made it up folks, you don't have to google it).
lol!

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

$16 million was the payroll of the Jets when Shenkroh sold it for $85 million, and there was a $50 million dollar clause, for a sale price of the franchise, if it stayed here.
What is the franchise worth today, 15 years later?

http://www.elansofas.com

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:$16 million was the payroll of the Jets when Shenkroh sold it for $85 million, and there was a $50 million dollar clause, for a sale price of the franchise, if it stayed here.
What is the franchise worth today, 15 years later?
A better question to ask is
"what is the payroll for an NHL team today"!

Anonymous

Who cares? ....as long as no public money goes into the deal.....but what are the chances of that eh?

FinanciallyConcerned

FinanciallyConcerned

What does it matter one way or the other? The salaries are what they are! And are you aware that WE are to blame for the high salaries?

Professional sports salaries all went to hell in a handbasket the day WINNIPEG paid Bobby Hull 1 MILLION DOLLARS to PLAY A GAME! It all started on the corner of Portage and Main when they handed him that oversized cheque and it has gotten worse from that day forward.

SO the fact that Winnipeg cannot afford a team is our own fault! We started it and we are paying the price for it. Winnipeg does not have the corporate support to have a team and thats all there is to it. We never had a problem filling the seats. If memory serves me right, we had one of the best attendance numbers in the league!

It's time to let this one die. We could not afford a team in 1996, and the payrolls are higher now and we still cannot afford a team! And before you say the dollar is at par now so it will work, the dollar WILL NOT stay at par and we will be back at the same place again soon enough, with the call for public money to support a team we couldn't afford in the first place! Then we can complain about having a team and needing public money to keep it instead of not having a team!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Professional sports salaries all went to hell in a handbasket the day WINNIPEG paid Bobby Hull 1 MILLION DOLLARS to PLAY A GAME! It all started on the corner of Portage and Main when they handed him that oversized cheque and it has gotten worse from that day forward."

I blame Gretzky leaving Edmonton for LA.

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

FinanciallyConcerned wrote:What does it matter one way or the other? The salaries are what they are! And are you aware that WE are to blame for the high salaries?

Professional sports salaries all went to hell in a handbasket the day WINNIPEG paid Bobby Hull 1 MILLION DOLLARS to PLAY A GAME! It all started on the corner of Portage and Main when they handed him that oversized cheque and it has gotten worse from that day forward.

SO the fact that Winnipeg cannot afford a team is our own fault! We started it and we are paying the price for it. Winnipeg does not have the corporate support to have a team and thats all there is to it. We never had a problem filling the seats. If memory serves me right, we had one of the best attendance numbers in the league!

It's time to let this one die. We could not afford a team in 1996, and the payrolls are higher now and we still cannot afford a team! And before you say the dollar is at par now so it will work, the dollar WILL NOT stay at par and we will be back at the same place again soon enough, with the call for public money to support a team we couldn't afford in the first place! Then we can complain about having a team and needing public money to keep it instead of not having a team!
I can afford it as many others could. Studies have been done by True North and they believe the corporate support is there.
I look forward to the day the NHL is back

Anonymous

JTF, and you think no tax dollars will be asked for. But i agree with your sentiment, we've already paid and keep paying for the place, I would rahter see Thompson, the billionaire , pony up for the expansion and acquisition costs.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

FinanciallyConcerned wrote:It's time to let this one die. We could not afford a team in 1996, and the payrolls are higher now and we still cannot afford a team! And before you say the dollar is at par now so it will work, the dollar WILL NOT stay at par and we will be back at the same place again soon enough, with the call for public money to support a team we couldn't afford in the first place! Then we can complain about having a team and needing public money to keep it instead of not having a team!

Methinks it's time to take your avatar's words of advice.

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

Anonymous

Livio Ciaralli wrote:JTF, and you think no tax dollars will be asked for. But i agree with your sentiment, we've already paid and keep paying for the place, I would rahter see Thompson, the billionaire , pony up for the expansion and acquisition costs.

If it makes good business sense to bring an NHL team to Winnipeg, it must be because it will be profitable. Otherwise it would be bad business.

However, if government money is needed for it to be profitable, I say no to government involvement. IMHO, government should not be funding private sport franchises.

I absolutely detest a ssholes that attempt to put a sport franchise in the same boat as a sewer system, a water system or a road system, etc. It's BS to do so imo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 23 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum