the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg

+35
RogerStrong
Miz point
Northlands
umcrouc0
toban71
Bark and Bite
Mantha
eViL tRoLl
trebor204
AGEsAces
djh
holly golightly
casualchris
Goth_chic
usedtoliveinstb
death128
St Norberter
JT Estoban
Bartron
Jondo
SuperNaut
Triniman
FlyingRat
USApegger
cherenkov
rosencrentz
LivingDead
EdWin
GGF
Outsider
Mr_Point
Deank
Electrician
sputnik
grumpy old man
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 27]

Outsider

contributor plus
contributor plus

EdWin wrote:Let's not derail this thread with the Aspers, please. There are plenty of threads to discuss their finances.

From Hockeybuzz.com...
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter...ipeg/119/26818

Peter Tessier
Vancouver Canucks Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT

First, there is a season ticket provision which Winnipeg will have to
meet I don't know the numbers but there is a condition that will have
to be met so for Winnipeg folks, get your wallets out.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter...ipeg/119/26818

There is the rub.
Are there enough people in Winnipeg who will pony up for 15,000 tickets at an average price of about $75 bucks for each of 40 games.
IE: about $3,000 for each season ticket PLUS agency fee.
If I was the new owner I would want the whole amount in CASH, UP FRONT.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Outsider wrote:Are there enough people in Winnipeg who will pony up for 15,000 tickets at an average price of about $75 bucks for each of 40 games. IE: about $3,000 for each season ticket PLUS agency fee.
Yes. I believe 2% of Winnipeggers will pony up for 15,000 tickets each and every game.

NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 13 4415327370_31cedab788_o

This was just a simple attempt to calculate revenues from game day sales of tickets and concessions. I believe it to be easily achievable and likely underestimates potential revenues.

The $$$ per game numbers are concessions and I used 10% of ticket prices as my amount. Change that to #10 across the board (except the top priced seats), and you garner an additional $3million in revenue.

The $50k per box price will likely be double. Add another $5million to the top line.

Add in souvenirs. Radio. TV. Marketing promotions.

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

How do your ticket prices match another Canadian NHL ticket prices?.
I suspect your ticket price estimates may be underestimated.
(I tried to buy a Moose ticket and the cheapest I could find was 16.50.)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I've no idea how they compare. My sole intent was to see how the revenues added up when using modest figures. Note the $50 million plus numbers from gate alone. A well managed team, with an eye on the bottom line, and owned by the same people that own the arena, could break even in the NHL in Winnipeg IMHO...

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I was looking at The Flames website.
It looks like their whole lower deck is priced at $105 ( $158 at the door)
or $147 ( $229 at the door).

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Imagine getting those prices in Winnipeg.

If so, the $53 million in revenue grows to about $68 million. $100 a seat season ticket works out to about $4,200.

When the numbers are simplified like this it sure makes the NHL in Winnipeg look very doable.

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

season tickets from 800 in the upper bowl to 4100 for up against the glass in the lower bowl ain't that bad.

I'd sign up for jets seasons in a heartbeat

Anonymous

Funny though I remember people complaining before at what 55 a seat .

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

what needs to happen is winnipeg catching up with the rest of canada in terms of average joe salaries. but i do know i make more cash than in 1996, alot more than 4000/year more

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

I'd like to see tax cuts.

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

casualchris wrote:what needs to happen is winnipeg catching up with the rest of canada in terms of average joe salaries. but i do know i make more cash than in 1996, alot more than 4000/year more

1. Do you live in Winnipeg?
2. Do you have 15,000 like minded friends?

NHL Rumours... The NHL is returning to Winnipeg - Page 13 Icon_smile

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Before I moved to Toronto I had Jets season tickets for about 10~ years. About 10 in my circle also did.

I think, IMHO, the arena itself hurt ticket sales big time. This time around, the MTS Centre alone will help ticket sales, much like it has done for the concert scene in Winnipeg. Much like a great ballpark like the Goldeyes has done for baseball.

Anonymous

True and they have control of the whole building .

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

casualchris wrote:what needs to happen is winnipeg catching up with the rest of canada in terms of average joe salaries. but i do know i make more cash than in 1996, alot more than 4000/year more

If salaries rise, that just means the cost of goods and services also rise. And taxes.
Have salaries kept up withe cost of houses?

Many families require both husband and wife working to keep up with mortgage payments, food, sporting equipment, etc.
And interest payments are low now.
What happens when (not if) interest rates rise?

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Outsider wrote:

If salaries rise, that just means the cost of goods and services also rise. And taxes.

Many families require both husband and wife working to keep up with mortgage payments, food, sporting equipment, etc.

Wow. Reading into this a little too much?

What if there is a massive flood and the only place to house all the downtown residents is the MTS Centre but they can't because the arena will still be in use by the hockey players who are being helicoptered in for home games. Guess this means we shouldn't have a team..........................just incase!!!!!

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

EdWin wrote:
Outsider wrote:

What if there is a massive flood and the only place to house all the downtown residents is the MTS Centre but they can't because the arena will still be in use by the hockey players who are being helicoptered in for home games. Guess this means we shouldn't have a team..........................just incase!!!!!

No, I was thinking more along the lines of:

1. People pick saving their homes over their hockey tickets.
2. NHL team dumps their good (read expensive) players.
3. Winnipeg fans are not satisfied with 2nd rate team and stop supporting them.

.... you can figure out the rest yourself.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Outsider wrote:
EdWin wrote:
Outsider wrote:

1. I highly doubt that people will be making a "life or death" situation of saving their homes based on buying Jets tickets. That is reaching if I've ever seen it.

2. This remains to be seen how accurate this will be in Winnipeg once a team is acquired. However, with the richest man at the head of the table in Winnipeg, this may not be the case and he can afford to pay for high quality players if he so chooses.

3. Don't think anyone is. However, true hockey fans support a team regardless of the quality of hockey. No team is perfect year after year. Sport teams are up and down; in constant flux. It's happening here in Edmonton and Calgary, and we all know how well these teams are doing right now. Winnipeg, a different city today than in the 90s, will follow suite.

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Outsider wrote:

Uhm, so 800 for entry level, 4100 for ice level tickets in cow town, is that more affordable on a calgary salary or a winnipeg one? could this be the reason 'winnipegers cant afford nhl' commenters?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Outsider wrote:

There are about 700,000 people out there. Another 500k or so within the province.

A) Not EVERYONE is encumbered with a life and death mortgage. The fact that you think so is absurd.
ii) what EdWin said.

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

outsider

do you think the tickets in winnipeg can be 1/2-3/4 the price of cowtown because our salaries are?? could a winnipeg team pay 3/4 of the contract for a player it aquires based on 'cheap winnipeg housing? get real, its time winnipegers demanded realistic salaries

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

casualchris wrote:outsider

do you think the tickets in winnipeg can be 1/2-3/4 the price of cowtown because our salaries are?? could a winnipeg team pay 3/4 of the contract for a player it aquires based on 'cheap winnipeg housing? get real, its time winnipegers demanded realistic salaries

Casualchris,
If you were following the thread, you would understand I was diplomatically trying to make the point that NHL salaries in Winnipeg would have to be exactly the same as the salaries in the other NHL cities. Otherwise the Winnipeg team would not be competitive and the team would not get the same support as the other NHL teams in Canada.

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:
Outsider wrote:

There are about 700,000 people out there. Another 500k or so within the province.

A) Not EVERYONE is encumbered with a life and death mortgage. The fact that you think so is absurd.
ii) what EdWin said.

Its fine to shoot me down.
But please show me what positive things have happened in Winnipeg in the last 15 years which would demonstrate a team can be competitive now when it could not 15 years ago. What companies have started up in the Winnipeg region who have hired a large block of employees? And I am not talking about jobs which pay < $12 an hour.
We have a new 15,000 seat arena. But we had a 15,000 seat arena and I am not positive but it may have even had more seats than the new one. Sure we have a lot more concerts. But are the concert buying crowd the same as the hockey crowd?

I would love to be convinced.

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

How come I can't edit my own messages within 2 or 3 minutes after I post them??

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Outsider wrote:

Outsider wrote:
casualchris wrote:outsider

Casualchris,
If you were following the thread, you would understand I was diplomatically trying to make the point that NHL salaries in Winnipeg would have to be exactly the same as the salaries in the other NHL cities. Otherwise the Winnipeg team would not be competitive and the team would not get the same support as the other NHL teams in Canada.

So which is it? Does the average joe need a salary bump to keep up with ticket prices of other cities?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Outsider wrote:Its fine to shoot me down.
But please show me what positive things have happened in Winnipeg in the last 15 years which would demonstrate a team can be competitive now when it could not 15 years ago. What companies have started up in the Winnipeg region who have hired a large block of employees? And I am not talking about jobs which pay < $12 an hour.
We have a new 15,000 seat arena. But we had a 15,000 seat arena and I am not positive but it may have even had more seats than the new one. Sure we have a lot more concerts. But are the concert buying crowd the same as the hockey crowd?

You are very quick to dismiss the impact of the new arena grasshopper.

Tell me, where did the old Winnipeg Arena stand in North America business-wise? Yet this new arena is amoungst the busiest in all of North America, and the world for that matter. Coincidence?

How about the population of Winnipeg in 1996 compared to today? Last year alone it grew almost 12,000? In 1996 Winnipeg CMA was 683,500. It was just published that the city was approaching 750,000.

How about the Canadian dollar almost at par with the US dollar? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/CAD_USD_Exchange_Rates.png

How about the unemployment rate in Winnipeg and Manitoba being the lowest or second lowest in Canada for 2 or 3 years now. Maybe longer. http://cuer.sauder.ubc.ca/cma/data/Employment/UnemploymentRate/rate-unempl-winnipeg.pdf

In 2009 the city added almost 10,000 jobs. http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/lfss04h-eng.htm

How about instead of looking at the glass half empty we start looking at the glass half full. Christ we are such incredible negatrons...

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:
Outsider wrote:Its fine to shoot me down.

You are very quick to dismiss the impact of the new arena grasshopper.

Tell me, where did the old Winnipeg Arena stand in North America business-wise? Yet this new arena is amoungst the busiest in all of North America, and the world for that matter. Coincidence?

How about the population of Winnipeg in 1996 compared to today? Last year alone it grew almost 12,000? In 1996 Winnipeg CMA was 683,500. It was just published that the city was approaching 750,000.

How about the Canadian dollar almost at par with the US dollar? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/CAD_USD_Exchange_Rates.png

How about the unemployment rate in Winnipeg and Manitoba being the lowest or second lowest in Canada for 2 or 3 years now. Maybe longer. http://cuer.sauder.ubc.ca/cma/data/Employment/UnemploymentRate/rate-unempl-winnipeg.pdf

In 2009 the city added almost 10,000 jobs. http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/lfss04h-eng.htm

How about instead of looking at the glass half empty we start looking at the glass half full. Christ we are such incredible negatrons...

Speaking about glass half full/half empty.
You get that way after you hear enough B.S.

And speaking of stats.
http://www.fin.gc.ca/fedprov/eqp-eng.asp

And I could not see the average salary per hour from :
http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/lfss04h-eng.htm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum