the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

New police Helicopter

+12
Riverman
Mantha
Freeman
Jondo
Deank
rosencrentz
JT Estoban
Triniman
grumpy old man
AGEsAces
eastsider
winnipegceilingcat
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:03 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

Do you go through red lights?

27New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't but sometimes my car does!

28New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

I do not go through red lights. And I'm hoping everyone else shares the same outlook! Smile

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

29New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I generally go under red lights. If I went through too many of them I dont think my vehicle would be in good condition very long

Razz

30New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Anonymous

You'll be paying for it whether or not you go through red lights or speed.

The costs are enormous and the benefits are doubtful.

It is the same guys making this decision that said photo radar was a money-maker and we found out we were sold a bill of goods in that nonsense.

Some people have been watching too much TV I reckon.

31New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

So the Edmonton stats are bogus then?

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

32New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Anonymous

Stats can be manipulated to show what you wish them to show.

33New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:35 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:I generally go under red lights. If I went through too many of them I dont think my vehicle would be in good condition very long

Razz

Hey...this reminds me of a funny thing I saw once.

I used to be a limo/bus driver, and had a load of passengers in NYC (bachelorette party).

Anyway...it was about 2am, and we were leaving NYC heading for the Lincoln Tunnel.

We're waiting at a red light, and one of the NYC double-decker tour buses comes barreling through the intersection in front of us...the top of his bus CREAMS the traffic light hanging over the intersection and comes crashing down into the street.

Happened so fast, and he was gone so quick, I didn't even have a chance to get his info...and with a bus full of 1/2 drunk women on board...I couldn't wait for the cops either...so I just called them from my cell and went on my way.

The only thing I could think though...was what if he had passengers on board doing a tour?
I'm sure that route was not the way he normally went...and was probably rushing back to his depot from his shift...but still makes me think twice about riding on the top of a double-decker bus.

http://www.photage.ca

34New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"In Edmonton, the EPS' Air 1 police helicopter was directly responsible for 953 arrests between 2004 and 2007, according to its business case to buy a second police chopper, which it did this summer. "

Assuming that means 4 years or 1460 days. that is less then one arrest per day. Given further that a good chunk of crimes and arrests include more then one perp that reduces the number of days that there were actually used "effectively" even more.

Assuming 20 cops ( from somone elses statement) are taken off the road because of this. Seems to me that would results in a NET reduction of arrests overall. As well as a net reduction of cops visablly on the street.

But thats a lot to assume.

They also have this little tidbit
"was also involved in 172 car chases during that period, resulting in a 99.3% apprehension rate. "
I have not heard of Many car chases in the city where the cops broke of pursuit, yes there have been some, but without the hard facts thats a little difficult to evaluate, ie are we already better then 99.3%? (doubtful of course given how many times cops have had to break off chases because of high speeds)

Be nice to see the report and it have some real data in it before making a decision. I would much prefer the province had some medivac choppers myself.

35New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Anonymous

How about some emergency room doctors first? Afterall, why rush to wait on a gurney? Smile

36New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The ER doctors at Winkler and Stienbach are always good to go.

37New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:33 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Car chases at high speed have been reduced by 87% in Winnipeg, as a result of the City's brilliant move in not repairing the streets. Going faster than 27 KM is becoming a life-threatening situation.
In the car thief's blog, they list the 11 km of roadways that are safe to speed on!

http://www.elansofas.com

38New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:28 am

Anonymous

Freeman wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think that a helicopter would be a fantastic asset for the WPS, but those things are massively expensive. Its not only the capital outlay, but ongoing maintenace, pilot training etc. Its going to take an awful lot of photoradar tickets to pay for it.
So much for the negative if it saves time and resources and a life or two it is worth all of it, most cities of any progressive thinking have them . O right this is Wpg and it is full of whats it cost types .

( MAINTENANCE )
Queens English and all

39New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:55 am

Anonymous

When I hear Katz saying the purchase is a one-time thing, I know he's out-to-lunch.

The costs to maintain a helicopter are very high...it's a constant drain on the money available.

Let's keep the little bastard car-thieves in jail, so we won't have to chase them.

40New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:59 am

Anonymous

I agree but that is up to the feds as it is there area , we can do somethings but not change the guidelines the judges use when sentencing .

41New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:12 am

Anonymous

No it's not. The judges presently have the ability to jail people....including kids. They simply don't do it.

42New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 am

Anonymous

Depending on a lot of conditions and other crap also they have to be within a year of majority for consideration to bump up to adult . The Fed,s run the YOA not the province .

43New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:21 am

Anonymous

Whatever.

Judges are still too lenient. Keep these criminals in jail...it cost less.

44New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:23 am

Anonymous

You got that right then we can feel safe on our streets at night again .

45New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:05 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What role do crown prosecutors play?

Are they federal or provincial?

How often are games played with sentences?

If the crown prosecuted on the most serious charges would that make a difference?

Now please THINK before answering this. I simply do not want to hear this is the way "it has always been". That might well be the most ignorant answer one can throw at this issue.

Some might say the judges hands are tied. Hogwash say I.

The judges can hand out MAXIMUM sentences under the law. frick leniency. Seriously. frick leniency.

In the meantime the province should be leaning very strongly on the feds AND on the bozo Layton to change the law.

Did I say I don't want to hear about the way this system has always been fricking run?

46New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Perhaps we should elect judges.

47New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:41 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Triniman wrote:Perhaps we should elect judges.
indeed

48New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

And wehre do most judges come from...right, they are former Crown Prosecutors.

49New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:23 am

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:What role do crown prosecutors play?

Are they federal or provincial?

How often are games played with sentences?

If the crown prosecuted on the most serious charges would that make a difference?

Now please THINK before answering this. I simply do not want to hear this is the way "it has always been". That might well be the most ignorant answer one can throw at this issue.

Some might say the judges hands are tied. Hogwash say I.

The judges can hand out MAXIMUM sentences under the law. frick leniency. Seriously. frick leniency.

In the meantime the province should be leaning very strongly on the feds AND on the bozo Layton to change the law.

Did I say I don't want to hear about the way this system has always been fricking run?

1 They are the agent of the crown to prosecute the the law both Federal and Provincial statutes

2 The games you mention are played on both sides defense plays the most , looking for a deal for there client. The crowns are under pressure to accommodate them in certain cases. Then the guidelines of sentencing kick in , and I won,t even get in to that as I get very angry with them . But they apply to all cases some are Prov some are Fed . They have been approved by Justice Ministers and the Supreme court in some cases.
4 The crown prosecutes all charges so unsure of what you mean.

And I do not have to think as I have seen and been involved for to long . If the judge throws the book at the person they will appeal and the case which might be shaky at best may fall apart. There is also the cost factor in some cases , and the man power after all the dockets are full and getting worse.
If you spend some time in the system you will see that the problem lays with the ways people can get off, not with the law its self . It has been turned over to to many legal excuses for all , not just natives . the precedent's get set and the law has to respect previous rulings as they are the basis of the system .
While I agree it is wrong no one is willing to really take it on to change it , and by that we need to overhaul the basis of the system , what is a real defense and what is not .
While we rework some of the more bs things in the prosecution side .

God all of that and I did not say it

50New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:28 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

1) But are the crown prosecutors provincial or federal? Who appoints them? Who pays them? I guess the point I'm making is have the government (Chomiak for instance) instruct crown prosecutors to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. No more trades for anything ever.

51New police Helicopter - Page 2 Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:29 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:1) But are the crown prosecutors provincial or federal? Who appoints them? Who pays them? I guess the point I'm making is have the government (Chomiak for instance) instruct crown prosecutors to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. No more trades for anything ever.

Exactly, if someone doesn't like the job that an employee is doing, you have them correct it or replace them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum