the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

New police Helicopter

+12
Riverman
Mantha
Freeman
Jondo
Deank
rosencrentz
JT Estoban
Triniman
grumpy old man
AGEsAces
eastsider
winnipegceilingcat
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1New police Helicopter Empty a police helicopter alternative. Sun May 03, 2009 10:15 pm

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

So most people agree that a police helicopter would be a good idea, but they cost a lot to purchase and then maintain.

My idea is. why not buy the Winnipeg Police an unmanned drone to patrol, maybe a Predator MQ-1 or MQ-9?

the MQ-1 is about $4.5 million USD and the better MQ-9 is around 6.5 million USD.

Last edited by winnipegceilingcat on Sun May 03, 2009 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a really bad typo in the subject line)

2New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun May 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Anonymous

Leasing a helicopter would be cheaper no.

3New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun May 03, 2009 10:26 pm

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

i honestly don't know.. the prices i listed are for buying them.. i have no idea what they would cost to lease.
i know the Canadian military is leasing an Israeli UAV called the CU-170 Heron. I was unable to find out what that costs.

4New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun May 03, 2009 10:35 pm

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

How can the radio stations CJOB and its sister station afford a traffic chopper and the police can't? There can't be that much advertising revenue to pay for a chopper I would think.Hmmmm the last time I was thinking I was waaaaaaaay wrong, someone correct me if I'm wrong Very Happy

5New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun May 03, 2009 10:36 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Cause the computers to run a drone cost more than the drone itself.

The risk of someone hacking the drone are too high.

And computers can't fly...so when it crashes into one of the buildings, or comes crashing down in the middle of a playground...there's noone to blame but the computer.

http://www.photage.ca

6New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun May 03, 2009 10:37 pm

Anonymous

Are not the air ambulances on lease to us and they seem like something we are going to be more involved with. Which is good thing as it is something we need .

7New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sun May 03, 2009 10:57 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Take the money from the squashed waterpark and buy/lease a police helicopter...

8New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Mon May 04, 2009 7:53 am

Anonymous

I don't know if we can justify a 'copter for the police, but I'm sure we could for the ambulance service. We may be able to reduce the need for more sophisticated settings in our rural hospitals, as well as some staff perhaps.

They could even share one eh? Well maybe not.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Expect Provincial government funding for a helicopter for the Winnipeg Police Service, and measures to address gang violence in this city. This after a Statistics Canada Report showed a decrease in overall crime last year but our province still leads the nation in many violent crime categories. Manitoba's Justice Minister Dave Chomiak told CJOB's Richard Cloutier the measures will be formally announced shortly.

Listen to CJOB Story here.

10New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Buy in bulk. Figure out who is interested in buying a helicopter, across the country. Have the mayors pool their money and buy several at once, with a discount. Better still, combine the buy with provinces and maybe even the Feds, then get a bigger discount. Probably a crazy, unrealistic idea but there it is.

11New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Anonymous

Enforce the basic laws of the road and you can have the assholes pay for it .

12New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:03 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The basic rules of the road may need to be changed.

13New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Anonymous

So we go through red lights and stop signs and never use signals, and it would be okay. What the hell are you implying.

14New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:12 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Is that what I said?

15New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Anonymous

Then how do want them changed . Explaining would help .

16New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:18 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Greatly improved traffic flow. Increased speed limits. Eliminate half the red lights. Synchronize the remainder.

Those kinda things...

17New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Anonymous

Then yes I agree that is needed but there are many who speed on side streets and go through stop signs all over residential streets , have improper mufflers and equipment .

18New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:01 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I think the predator/drone idea has some merit to it....and is worth while investigating. What are the costs, and such.

The predator and other drones are not completely computer operated...they have a pilot just like any other aircraft. Instead of the pilot being in the cockpit inside the plane, the pilot is actually on the ground inside what looks like a large shipping container, that contains all the instruments for flying.

19New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:03 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What a waste of resources? You list the cost, so why don't you list the benefit?
Why does everyone think like a politician?
Think COST/BENEFIT! Analyse and then decide.
The expense for some stupid quick buses? lanea or whatever is $185,000,000 and what is the benefit? Is there a benefit and are the people using that service going to pay for that benefit? No you say! Nice thinking!

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Our chief finally agrees its a good thing
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/columnists/tom_brodbeck/2009/08/20/10524971-sun.html

Apparently the Mayor and Council like the idea and talks have already occoured where the Province is in on financing.

Manitoba Post has some good articles
debunking issues on helicopter
http://manitobapost.blogspot.com/2009/08/debunking-police-helicopter-complaints.html

but even more interesting there was apparently a private person willing to pay for the copter and was in talks with the city and then all of a sudden... they city announced the province is funding it instead

http://manitobapost.blogspot.com/2009/08/is-city-of-winnipeg-turning-down.html

21New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

but even more interesting there was apparently a private person willing to pay for the copter and was in talks with the city and then all of a sudden... they city announced the province is funding it instead
Yeah, that kinda came outta the blue? I'd like the mayor or the police chief to answer this.

22New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:20 am

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm guessing that individual is Hersh Wolsch.

23New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Don't get me wrong, I think that a helicopter would be a fantastic asset for the WPS, but those things are massively expensive. Its not only the capital outlay, but ongoing maintenace, pilot training etc. Its going to take an awful lot of photoradar tickets to pay for it.

24New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:48 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Freeman wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think that a helicopter would be a fantastic asset for the WPS, but those things are massively expensive. Its not only the capital outlay, but ongoing maintenace, pilot training etc. Its going to take an awful lot of photoradar tickets to pay for it.

Fine by me, as I don't speed!

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

25New police Helicopter Empty Re: New police Helicopter Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:03 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Do you go through red lights?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum