the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

How Great is Living on a Reserve?

+9
Miz point
incognito
eViL tRoLl
Deank
grumpy old man
Goth_chic
EdWin
LivingDead
rosencrentz
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:28 am

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

LivingDead wrote:
rosencrentz wrote:Ahousaht reserve- no running water?
Is there any explanation, other than the chiefs took the money, to explain how in 2009 this can be true?
And Canada is in 3rd world countries setting up fresh running water, but not in Canada because?

Only in Canada do you have people claiming poverty while having fun on their quads.

I wonder where all the band money goes. Those quads cost about 7k or more.

From what I'm told, (by a former resident) People up in Cross Lake/Norway house get a new quad and snowmobile every couple of years. I'm told there is a mountain of snowmobiles and pickup trucks at the bottom of the lake near Norway house. I'm told, People leave them out on the ice during spring melt/breakup and get new ones through insurance and from the band office.

AND THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY WANT TO PRESERVE THE FRIGGIN ENVIRONMENT?????

I am livid

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

27How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:33 am

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Quads are part of the traditional native lifestyle.

28How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

As long as the money keeps pouring in they'll never be accountable. Time to turn off the money tap. Pay them off, get rid of Indian Affairs and then it's either sink or swim.

29How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:36 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Not sure how you arrive at 33 billion dollars as the monies feeding the reserves LD. INAC has an $8 or 9 billion budget. Base your math on the INAC budget.

But any way you slice it that is one HUGE chunk 'o cash.how that money is spent. Start with the reserves themselves. Spend every available dollar on schools on reserves. Spend whatever is necessary on university educations as well.

An education is paramount. Then perhaps our aboriginal brothers and sisters can take care of themselves.

I used to assist young FN folks in terms of seeking post secondary education.....all high achievers academically and very talented.....i had to make threats to their respective tribal councils because said councils would not willingly endorse their funding because these kids were living off reserve (lynn friggin lake) from nelson House (yeah Rodney Spency kiss my white ass) and whose families were not kissing enuff ass.....screw INAC and screw the friggin tribal councils.....time to change that system of accepted corruption.

30How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:40 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

My brother-in-law lives on 6 acres near stonewall.There is a well that has been dug and been operating for 20 years. When it broke down from old age he put in new pipes for $ I don't know how much? $2-$3,000.
What is the big deal to having to figure that out?

http://www.elansofas.com

31How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:41 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

incognito wrote:Quads are part of the traditional native lifestyle.

reservations are shitholes.....get rid of that system as it benefits only a select few and not those individuals that it was designed to serve....little children and their toys.....how I fondly recall the Sarcee Fnations folks out in Alberta land getting fancy trucks the one year for oil dividends.....most of the trucks got wrecked within six months....

32How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:21 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Miz point wrote:reservations are shitholes.....get rid of that system as it benefits only a select few and not those individuals that it was designed to serve....

No arguments from me on that point.

33How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Land set aside and "reserved" for the Natives to use makes total sense.

Them forcing themselves to live in the remote areas does not.

34How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:15 pm

Anonymous

Once an instrument of oppression, education must now become the tool that brings hope, opportunity and success to First Nations. There is an abundance of evidence to support the need for greater investment in education and skills training, and the economic arguments are easily made to show how this investment can and will pay off for the entire Canadian population.

The statistics affirming the deplorable state of First Nations education are alarming:
• The funding for First Nation schools has been capped at 2% since 1996 in spite of inflation and an average annual population increase of 6.2%.
• During the same period, almost every provincial and territorial education system in Canada has undergone a complete restructuring of their education system, increasing their annual funding, on average, by 3.8% per year.
• INAC’s funding has resulted in an historical deficit of $1.17 billion over the years 1996-2005.
• A projected funding deficit over and above the 2% cap is projected at $304 million by 2010.

Furthermore, the current federal funding formula provides little or no funding for First Nations in the following areas:
• Languages - Over half of the 60 or so Aboriginal languages in Canada were at risk of extinction in 2001. The majority of these languages are not spoken in other locations. The federal government’s national formula allots only $215 per student for language training. By way of comparison, Alberta provides $2,261 per student, on average, to teach French as a first language.
• No funding for key functions including Libraries, Technology, Sports and Recreation, second and third level First Nations education systems, as well as shortfalls in special education, band employee benefits, student transportation, teacher salaries, capital and maintenance, and more.

Without the necessary support for basic life skills in early learning years, First Nation economies struggle under the burden of a population without the necessary literacy, numeracy skills, and training to secure employment opportunities. In fact, for First Nations to achieve employment parity only with the rest of Canada we need over 93,000 new First Nation workers introduced to the workplace today. Our figures also show that given the schooling gap we need at least 169,000 secondary level certificates in order to start addressing higher level post-secondary deficits. With these deficits, impacts will only continue to deepen as we enter a knowledge based economy with two-thirds of jobs requiring post-secondary training or education.

At a meeting of the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC) this past February, AFN advanced a National Education Framework as a recommended path forward. The AFN seeks engagement on this basis to advance critical needs in education.

Source of the Information: Stats Canada

35How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:51 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

INAC is a moribund agency and should be dismantled immediately. There should be no funding differences between provinces regarding First Nations peoples.

36How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:01 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Do you think it would help if we moved aboriginals into the North End and Point Douglas areas?

http://www.elansofas.com

37How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

They might have more self-esteem if they moved to some place nicer, like Wellington Crescent. How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Icon_smile

38How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:02 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

sure, displace the Jewish settlement... again.

39How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Excuse me.....what makes you think Jews dominate the crescent? Still very waspy......and some Ukrainians.....hehehehe

40How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:05 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Who said anything about dominate?

Though one particular family of settlers seems to dominate the news.

41How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jealous?

42How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:10 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Nope... annoyed.

43How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Annoyed at what perchance? Please clarify.

44How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:15 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

The insufferable arrogance that public funds should be used to support private initiatives, like museums and football stadiums.

45How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:26 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

My my.....I ain't no fan of the Aspers myself but singling out one particular cultural group or family that matter as representative or dominating one street or set of public funding initiatives diminishes your credibility. Capiche? We as taxpayers subsidize private interests daily through our taxes or higher interest rates that we pay on loans because we are not bazillionaires.....hundreds of thousand of "little guys" make business all that much easier for the "big guys" to conduct and btw the latter are not all Aspers or Jewish for that matter. The wasp establishment still reigns in this country.

46How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:29 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

You're reading way too much into my previous comment.

47How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Uhhh, no i am not. Your oblique and obvious references speak for themselves. You cannot back outta this one and do not worry as I am not trying to start a fight or anything but I do so enjoy semiotics. Fascinating discipline it is.

48How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:41 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Whats's a wasp besides an annoying flying insect?

49How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yeah the other ones can be annoying too.....hehehehe.

50How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:50 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

K, so what is a wasp by your alternate definition?

51How Great is Living on a Reserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Great is Living on a Reserve? Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

White
Anglo
Saxon
Protestant

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next