the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

sorry... needs to be said again. THEN MOVE OFF THE RESERVE!!!

+3
Jondo
LivingDead
Deank
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/two-years-after-apology-chief-sees-little-action-96125269.html

"Atleo said adopting the UN declaration would suggest Canada understands
what it needs to do to honour treaties and ensure First Nations have
equal access to education and employment
."

THEN MOVE OFF THE RESERVE TO WHERE THE SCHOOLS AND JOBS ARE.

I dont see a university being built in Wanless or for that matter even a k-12 school.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

The UN is chock full of Hypocrites. They should practice what they preach before telling countries that Pay into the UN what to do.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I think we all get it. Reserves can be bad. Little chances of employment, little access to "modern" recreation. Dispair, etc. Then again there are many

But the thing of it is every single person living on the reserve has the ability to move off and access those jobs, education, recreation that everyone else has.

Should some help be made available for that? Sure why not, we help new immigrants integrate with their new surroundings so it only makes sense to help "immigrants" from reserves as well.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:I think we all get it. Reserves can be bad. Little chances of employment, little access to "modern" recreation. Dispair, etc. Then again there are many

But the thing of it is every single person living on the reserve has the ability to move off and access those jobs, education, recreation that everyone else has.

Should some help be made available for that? Sure why not, we help new immigrants integrate with their new surroundings so it only makes sense to help "immigrants" from reserves as well.

The people living in the reservation are free to move anywhere in Canada they want. If they want better then move to where it is better. If you want to keep living in a teepee and live off the land like your true ancestors did, then they are free to do that too.

Like everyone else in Canada, they are free to make their own choice. You made your bed now sleep in it, or move your sorry ass elsewhere!

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Move to where the opportunity exists? That would end the professional indian industry that exists to push and pull at the same time. Real, natural progress is not in the cards - and won't be until there's an overhaul of Indian Affairs including the ineffectiveness of their massive budget. But it's only money - right? Apparently it grows on trees. Must be a native legend of some sort.

Anonymous

Like everyone else in Canada, they are free to make their own choice. You made your bed now sleep in it, or move your sorry ass elsewhere!

Are you saying they created the researves ummm , funny way of looking at it .
their bed was not self made if you knew your history at all .

Anonymous

So what?

That was then, this is now.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Exactly. It always amazes me that Indians and their apologists keep defaulting to ancient history to explain their current state. Many Indians have successfully ditched that decrepit reserve life and found a productive life in the cities.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

But even worse.. they wont actually default to ancient ancient history.

There is nothing for our kids to do!!!.. so like what was there to do 200 years ago? Maybe do that?

sh1t I grew up in Northern MB. Far enough from the town where I went to school that joining any after school activities was pretty much out. So what did we do for fun?

Fishing, swimming, hunting, baseball, soccer, bike riding, berry picking... the list goes on and on. And other then the one year that one guy organized soccer everything was just whatever happens happens.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yeah, but look at how you turned out Deank. *shudders*

We can have a whole generation of new productive citizens emerging from the reserves now can we? Smile

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Like everyone else in Canada, they are free to make their own choice. You made your bed now sleep in it, or move your sorry ass elsewhere!

Are you saying they created the researves ummm , funny way of looking at it .
their bed was not self made if you knew your history at all .

I'm not saying that they created the reservation system. I am saying that if they dont like it they are free to move.

Reservations were created so that Bands could continue their way of life. They were never designed for modern day life. When they were made it was for bands who wanted to live their ancestral ways. IE. Living in TEEPEEs and the hunting/gathering way of life. Somehow these people lost their way. They want their cake and to eat it too.

Time to become accountable and work hard to fix what is broken.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

What do you mean they never created the reserve system

Aren't we all treaty people?

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:What do you mean they never created the reserve system

Aren't we all treaty people?

LOL...that is what the advertisement keeps telling us.

Anonymous

Reservations were created so that Bands could continue their way of life. They were never designed for modern day life. When they were made it was for bands who wanted to live their ancestral ways. IE. Living in TEEPEEs and the hunting/gathering way of life. Somehow these people lost their way. They want their cake and to eat it too.

Your web site is right you are an IDIOT.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Reserves were actually created so that there would always be some section of land available to the ancestors of the people who signed the treaties. This is also why 100% control is not given because to do so could endanger the ability for that land to be available to future generations. ie someone might sell it.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:Your web site is right you are an IDIOT
Not very helpful to the discussion. Why did you feel the need to say this?

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Reservations were created so that Bands could continue their way of life. They were never designed for modern day life. When they were made it was for bands who wanted to live their ancestral ways. IE. Living in TEEPEEs and the hunting/gathering way of life. Somehow these people lost their way. They want their cake and to eat it too.

Your web site is right you are an IDIOT.

For the most part his statement rings of truth. What is the problem you have with that, and what website are you referring to?

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Pavolo wrote:Your web site is right you are an IDIOT
Not very helpful to the discussion. Why did you feel the need to say this?

I'll answer for PAVOLO my old chum. He felt the need to resort to name calling because he has ran out of intellectual capacity to carry on the debate. In other words, facts and the truth have ended his argument.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Hmm....glass houses.....stones......other assorted projectiles.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Anonymous

Living, come on you really believe that, if you do believe we did them a favor to allow them to live their lifestyle . Why did we make the residential school system .
Suggest you go down and read the very early history of the Hudson Bay company here and the way the treaties came about . It was something called greed , and control . I did not realize people still had that archaic view of our white history in this land .

And anytime you want to debate no problem .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:Living, come on you really believe that, if you do believe we did them a favor to allow them to live their lifestyle . Why did we make the residential school system .
Suggest you go down and read the very early history of the Hudson Bay company here and the way the treaties came about . It was something called greed , and control . I did not realize people still had that archaic view of our white history in this land .

We just can't ignore or dismiss that some people genuinely believe that what was done way back when was either what the natives wanted or was the right thing to do at the time.

The same can be said of the residential school system. We learn by our mistakes. Well, hopefully we do.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How long are we going to keep paying for mistakes that had nothing to do with us? Will my grand-kids still be paying?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yes.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Living, come on you really believe that, if you do believe we did them a favor to allow them to live their lifestyle . Why did we make the residential school system .

Pavolo, There is no need for me to read the early History of the HBC. I have done much more reading on the subject of Native Americans than I care to admit.

1: Do not use "WE", because I was not involved in the treaty process, nor was I involved in creating reservations or residential schools. Had I been involved in these things, there quite possibly would have been a much different outcome.

2: FYI: Greed makes the world go around.

3: I do not have an archaic view of white history in this country. I have a realistic view of History, I know history is written by the victors and in the case of North Amerika, it is Amreicans and Canadians of European heritage that wrote the history. Color it any way you want, North America was conquered and colonized by Europeans. Luckily for the Native Amricans this did not happen a few hundred years earlier, France and England would have not been as nice.

Now getting back to what we were talking about. England messed up twice. One was to make treaties with the native inhabitants and one was to accomodate French Canada.

Since England at the time considered itself the leader of the civilized world, they decided to make treaties instead of rounding them all up and starving them, like the yanks did. Anyhow. There is only one way to solve the problem. Cut out the $$ and let the existing natives assimilate into modern day society. Unfortunately there is no going back to the way it was. All the money in the world wont help them recapture what was lost.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I was thinking on the way home last night. Why the hell are we having a truth and reconciliation "party" in Winnipeg this week. When all the kids are presumably skipping school to attend?

I like how one native lady said it on the CBC last night.

"This is stupid that we are spending 60 Million dollars on these meetings. That money would be better spent helping us get our culture back. To be frank this can be thought of as nothing more then a party to celebrate the obliteration of a culture."

And you think about what it is these Truth and reconciliation meetings are... a giant party. Free food, free entertainment, free travel, free accommodation.

another 40 years from now people will be demanding more compensation for having attended this "party".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum