the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

sorry... needs to be said again. THEN MOVE OFF THE RESERVE!!!

+3
Jondo
LivingDead
Deank
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I was thinking on the way home last night. Why the hell are we having a truth and reconciliation "party" in Winnipeg this week. When all the kids are presumably skipping school to attend?

I like how one native lady said it on the CBC last night.

"This is stupid that we are spending 60 Million dollars on these meetings. That money would be better spent helping us get our culture back. To be frank this can be thought of as nothing more then a party to celebrate the obliteration of a culture."

And you think about what it is these Truth and reconciliation meetings are... a giant party. Free food, free entertainment, free travel, free accommodation.

another 40 years from now people will be demanding more compensation for having attended this "party".

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I liked that woman's remarks.....that money would have been better spent on educational and recreational endeavours or better yet programs to bring the young and old together, a teaching/learning/sharing scenario....many of the old timers do not want to rehash this out. This is an event to promote that huggy-feely nonsense of healing.....not every survivor wishes to share their tragedies. I have mixed feelings about this event and the amount of money that will be spent, in my estimation, is just too much.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

60 million could build a lot of soccer/lacrosse fields and buy alot of equipment for them considering all that is really needed for soccer is a flat playing surface and a ball

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Indeed....

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

They don't want soccer fields. They want their culture back.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Thats why I also said lacrosse.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:They want their culture back.

So what exactly is stopping them from that? Last time I check, Status and Metis (I think?) have the right to hunt for survival at anytime of the year, pretty much almost anywhere they want. Also, nothing is stopping them from giving up all non-aboriginal amenities such as automobiles, houses, electricity, etc. They can freely live in teepee's and hunt deer and fish to survive. Where is there a law that they can't get a good chunk of THEIR culture back?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Alot of them have an issue because no one is alive that can teach them their traditional culture. Kind of one of the bigger issues that was caused by the residential schools.

Even more of a problem, not many people understand that there is no "Native Culture"

There exist 100s if not 1000s of different cultures that were specific to each of the groups all over Canada. Some had rain dances, some farmed, some had vision quests, some the women were in charge and so on and so on. So to even attempt to start teaching original cultures is nigh impossible.

Anonymous

What do Harper and Trudeau have in common?

They both piss(ed) away money like it grows on trees.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Bonnie thompson is confused and believes that reserves are 3rd world conditions.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2010/06/14/14392371.html#/news/canada/2010/06/15/pf-14394601.html

apparently she does not travel outside of Canada because "If I wanted to experience 3rd world country I would just go back to my reserve"

1) so everywhere in the world is 3rd world but Canada?
2) Who the heck travels for vacation to 3rd world countries?

Man some people are so caught up in the lies perpetuated by some chiefs that it makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Anonymous

Just for perspective on the money

This year, the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), which administers 80 per cent of Canada's aid dollars, had a budget of almost $2.5 billion.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2006/09/21/foreign-aid-privacy.html#ixzz0r4TeMnTb

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

stupid aint it?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum