the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

thank you tom Brodbeck

+9
death128
Goth_chic
rosencrentz
dailyrants
Electrician
grumpy old man
LivingDead
AGEsAces
Deank
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

101thank you tom Brodbeck - Page 5 Empty Re: thank you tom Brodbeck Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:46 pm

As someone who doe's not use this facility , the charge seems wrong when Tax money is used to build it . But the cost of running anything has gone up and maybe they need the money for what ever.

102thank you tom Brodbeck - Page 5 Empty Re: thank you tom Brodbeck Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:50 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

holly golightly wrote:you guys are giving brodbeck way to much credit here. let's give some credit to all the parents who called in to the MSA/WSF/WYSA etc. to complain and to the premier for actually listening to the people. yes brodbeck may have put it in your face but that was all he did IMO

Trouble I tried unsuccessfully for almost 40 days to get this decision reversed. It was not until Brodbeck slapped it in everyone's face that something finally got done.

103thank you tom Brodbeck - Page 5 Empty Re: thank you tom Brodbeck Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:36 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

dailyrants wrote:
holly golightly wrote:Kids still do play on the school football pitches and the parents do bring the chairs but they can't play in the winter, the parents wouldn't come out to watch.

Gee, last time I checked baseball , golf, soccer and football were playing in the summer, Hockey, ringette , bowling and curling in the Winter.
Why do we have soccer in Winter ? I say if you want soccer in the Winter, you pay.

Check your watch, its 2008. Soccer has grown to be a year round sport. If hockey and ringette are Winter sports, how do they start in August? Oh right, in publicly funded facilities.

There are acutally more registered soccer players than there are for hockey. The demand for indoor facilities has been steadily increasing. And just for your information, players do pay for facilities. Its built into the registration fee for each team which is $2,700 for the indoor season. This is in addition to the $250,000 that Winnipeg youth Soccer "donated" twards the facility. That came from an additional levy that each registered player has paid over the last 2 years.

Any more questions?

104thank you tom Brodbeck - Page 5 Empty Re: thank you tom Brodbeck Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:38 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Guess you guys missed the sarcasm in the part about the parents not coming to watch if it was the winter.
Just like soccer being a year round sport so is hockey and ringette as there are leagues that run in the summer as well.
You're going to get folks saying that the registration fees however entitles the parents to free access to the facilities when in reality it entitles the child to play. My main concession on this dead issue is come 5 years from now when the soccer community wants to upgrade/add on or build another one, if they would have charged the $2.00 to adult spectators they would have a better chance asking for public funds because they would have a bank balance showing they are a viable entity. Regardless of the fact that the $2.00 has now been disposed of you will see registration fees go up again next year by about 20.00 (10.00 of which will be allocated to the overhead of the facility) so the facility will get the cash eventually, that is if the parents continue to want the children to play out there.

105thank you tom Brodbeck - Page 5 Empty Re: thank you tom Brodbeck Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:40 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Deank wrote:
holly golightly wrote:you guys are giving brodbeck way to much credit here. let's give some credit to all the parents who called in to the MSA/WSF/WYSA etc. to complain and to the premier for actually listening to the people. yes brodbeck may have put it in your face but that was all he did IMO

Trouble I tried unsuccessfully for almost 40 days to get this decision reversed. It was not until Brodbeck slapped it in everyone's face that something finally got done.

Maybe you should write a column for the sun, deank!

106thank you tom Brodbeck - Page 5 Empty Re: thank you tom Brodbeck Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:32 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

holly golightly wrote:Guess you guys missed the sarcasm in the part about the parents not coming to watch if it was the winter.
Yeah, our sarcasm font does not work yet. It is being worked on, because sarcasm is a way of life around here. Very Happy

As for the $2 fee, I'm all for it. We need to find a way to manage the costs of these facilities much better than we've been doing. I don't want these people coming back in 10 tears time begging for money to upgrade the facility. Worse still to maintain the facility.

I was at RHCC recently and I gotta say the place was a disgrace. There needs to be a way of funding these places that comes with a maintenance plan. Else nothing (seemingly) gets done and the the costs go through the roof.

107thank you tom Brodbeck - Page 5 Empty Re: thank you tom Brodbeck Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:53 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I really don't have a problem with the admission fee, my issue is that it was never planned and was announced so late in the deal. The new facility is great, however you can immediately see why the sudden need for an admission fee, no concessions. I had trouble finding a bottle of water yesterday. My guess is that the sudden announcement of an admission fee was to offset the lost revenue due to the absence of any form of concession.

Many community centres are in rough shape, however until the City and GCWCC put forward a serious plan to address longer term maintenance issues, they will continue to deteriorate. Its time to be creative.

108thank you tom Brodbeck - Page 5 Empty Re: thank you tom Brodbeck Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:58 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Should the best of the threads start at a post count of 100 or more?

http://www.elansofas.com

109thank you tom Brodbeck - Page 5 Empty Re: thank you tom Brodbeck Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:40 am

Anonymous

I've created a monster! Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum