the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brodbeck and the Arts

+6
Bartron
rosencrentz
Triniman
Miz point
Deank
grumpy old man
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:23 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Rare for me to agree with Brodbeck, but in his latest blog he is on the attack against art's community grants and taking shots from that community for his position. And I agree with his position. As do I R U Seriou's rebuttal to a Policy Frog attack.

Read it here for yourself. Column. Blog.

Then MsC from the darkside disses Brodbeck. As does Policy Frog. On the other side of the debate is R U Sirius.

Good times...

2Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

wow Tom's blog has some way wacked comments on it...

check out Cathy's comments at
09/04/2009 @ 01:42

3Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Bafflegab, I believe, is what that is called...

Well you see Tom, the existence of man precedes his essence. By which we mean that there is no certainty as to the commonality of humans, or "human nature" as it is often referred. Unlike an invention such as say, a paper-cutter, man is not first conceived and then produced but rather, we come into existence and then must we discover and decide for ourselves what we shall be and what our values should be. There are no values but those upon which we decide, and we only place value on a given idea through action. There is a great responsibility in all of this because when choosing our own values, we are also making a statement to the world of what it is that we believe all should value. By choosing the action of supporting the arts, and more specifically the local arts, one is asserting value to the citizens of Winnipeg, as it is they who shall reap the harvest sown by the artists. Artists do not create for their own sake alone.

See what our generous funding begets???

4Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:01 am

Anonymous

If art funding wasn't so corrupt in this town, it would be funny.

The city has no business be involved in arts funding. It is used (quite extensively btw) as a slush fund for friends only.

It is time to open up this farce to reality.

5Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:06 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

time to apply for a nose picking sclupture. I figure about 150k should cover it. I will build a model of the Winnipeg City Council meeting room floor using only 100% snot hand picked from the nose of Winnipegers.

6Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:07 am

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Bafflegab, I believe, is what that is called...

Well you see Tom, the existence of man precedes his essence. By which we mean that there is no certainty as to the commonality of humans, or "human nature" as it is often referred. Unlike an invention such as say, a paper-cutter, man is not first conceived and then produced but rather, we come into existence and then must we discover and decide for ourselves what we shall be and what our values should be. There are no values but those upon which we decide, and we only place value on a given idea through action. There is a great responsibility in all of this because when choosing our own values, we are also making a statement to the world of what it is that we believe all should value. By choosing the action of supporting the arts, and more specifically the local arts, one is asserting value to the citizens of Winnipeg, as it is they who shall reap the harvest sown by the artists. Artists do not create for their own sake alone.

See what our generous funding begets???

I believe that there is a course taught on grant funding gobbledegook.

BTW, it looks like some 'artists' use their grant money to buy drugs eh, judging by the coherency of the post.

7Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:32 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Ahhhh what else is grant money good for.....dope is highly inspirational right?

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

8Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Anonymous

Naw. It only helps with the tediousness of fulfilling that inspiration. Wink

9Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

sure is some wacky arguements going back and forth there right now. one guy dont let his kids use public parks and he homeschools them becauase he does not want to use public money.. and all this other stuff....

WTF??? does not let his kids use public parks? oooo yeah there is a stable parent
I wonder what streets and sidewalks the dude uses?

10Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:05 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The guy is so full of sh1t. He is making it up as he goes along.

11Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Anonymous

Sorta like applying for an arts grant

12Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:59 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

From the "two sides to every story" philosophy there is an outstanding
feature in today's Winnipeg Free Press that well articulates the
unusual vibrancy of Winnipeg's art's community.

It is true that many factors contribute to define a place. Winnipeg
simply would not be the Winnipeg we know and love today without the
contribution of the art's community. That said so too has the Winnipeg
professional and amateur sport's community contributed to making
Winnipeg Winnipeg.

This is why seemingly unrelated developments such as a new museum and
football stadium are important. If we had not invested in similar
ventures 50 years ago we might not look so fondly on today's Winnipeg.

However I still do not necessarily support a $2,000 grant directly to
John Smith's puppet show. I will support a $2,000 grant to the Manitoba
Theatre for Young People. I also support a similar grant to the
Bourkevale Community Centre.

13Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Anonymous

yes the grants bussiness is a strange dammed if you do dammed if you don't type of thing.

14Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:23 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We call speaking "bureaucratese"....a particular language in and of itself.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

15Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:It is true that many factors contribute to define a place. Winnipeg simply would not be the Winnipeg we know and love today without the
contribution of the art's community. That said so too has the Winnipeg
professional and amateur sport's community contributed to making
Winnipeg Winnipeg.

The same can be said about every major city, no?

16Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:If we had not invested in similar
ventures 50 years ago we might not look so fondly on today's Winnipeg.

What similar ventures do you mean?

17Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:12 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ummm, of course?

18Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:14 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Museums and hockey rinks. Concert halls and Football stadiums.

19Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:34 pm

Anonymous

There is a big difference between a grant to a community center and a grant to an individual; something that is being overlooked in this debate here.

20Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:48 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

They can't see that.

21Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

My daughter runs an art gallery , Gallery 803, which is aimed at showing local Winnipeg artists. She sent me her comments for my information, and since I haven't done any posting today, I was trying to see if I could skip a day, I thought that an artists' side would be interesting!
It is easy to criticize and very easy to pick on artists. What do we know what is or should be supported? If the city sends X number of dollars to a group to be distributed for projects, then so be it!
I can tell you that selling an artists 1st works ever is such a great feeling! These are young Manitobans, youn Winnipegers and whatever we can do to help them, should be done!

"The comments are very interesting. Also funny is that somebody dug up that Tom Brodbeck is VP at Bourkevale Community Club, and which received thousands of dollars in funding for ice-making, social events, a hallowe'en party, etc. last year.

NOTE** Artists numbers 5 (Sylvia Matas) and 6 (Paul Robles) are showing here at the gallery this year.

Number 1 (Daniel Barrow) is a good friend of mine, he just did a talk about his recent work in New York to a packed house, he works full time at the PlugIn Gallery downtown (the PlugIn is the gallery that borrowed our furniture, PlugIn is also Canada's only contemporary art gallery to achieve museum status, allowing them to bring in the same calibre of work as the Winnipeg Art Gallery, and any other major art gallery across Canada."

http://www.elansofas.com

22Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:My daughter runs an art gallery , Gallery 803, which is aimed at showing local Winnipeg artists. She sent me her comments for my information, and since I haven't done any posting today, I was trying to see if I could skip a day, I thought that an artists' side would be interesting!
It is easy to criticize and very easy to pick on artists. What do we know what is or should be supported? If the city sends X number of dollars to a group to be distributed for projects, then so be it!
I can tell you that selling an artists 1st works ever is such a great feeling! These are young Manitobans, youn Winnipegers and whatever we can do to help them, should be done!

"The comments are very interesting. Also funny is that somebody dug up that Tom Brodbeck is VP at Bourkevale Community Club, and which received thousands of dollars in funding for ice-making, social events, a hallowe'en party, etc. last year.

NOTE** Artists numbers 5 (Sylvia Matas) and 6 (Paul Robles) are showing here at the gallery this year.

Number 1 (Daniel Barrow) is a good friend of mine, he just did a talk about his recent work in New York to a packed house, he works full time at the PlugIn Gallery downtown (the PlugIn is the gallery that borrowed our furniture, PlugIn is also Canada's only contemporary art gallery to achieve museum status, allowing them to bring in the same calibre of work as the Winnipeg Art Gallery, and any other major art gallery across Canada."

Let the private sector and public donation fund art galleries, not tax dollars. The government has no right to say what is or is not worthy of support - only the community can decide.

23Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:30 am

Anonymous

I consider myself to be an artist and have never asked for grant money.

If I can't fund my own projects, I don't think anyone else should.

24Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:40 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I still dont see how you can compare a community club recieving funding and a artist receiving funding. One does something for the community and the other gets money to create art for themselves.

25Brodbeck and the Arts Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:21 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh man that blog on this subject is getting crazy stupid. Seems like a tick may have dropped in too..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum