the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brodbeck and the Arts

+6
Bartron
rosencrentz
Triniman
Miz point
Deank
grumpy old man
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:21 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh man that blog on this subject is getting crazy stupid. Seems like a tick may have dropped in too..

27Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:00 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

on a completely related note..
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/apr/13/two-florida-lawmakers-push-end-public-funding-art/

Two Florida lawmakers push to end public funding of art

28Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:17 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Gotta love this comment:
When society loses its Cultural Arts facet, the rest of society fails.
This person and similar peeps on Brodbeck's blog are seriously deluded. Hey, I actually like art. I have many pieces in my home from Winnipeg artists. I paid for them. I think that is what all artists should aspire to: get people to pay them for their work...

29Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:54 am

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

sarcasm You mean you wouldn't pay to see an artistic puppet show funded by the public?

30Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:59 am

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/apr/13/two-florida-lawmakers-push-end-public-funding-art/

In Florida they want to end all public arts funding until economy recovers.

31Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:04 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:on a completely related note..

Two Florida lawmakers push to end public funding of art

Bartron wrote:http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/apr/13/two-florida-lawmakers-push-end-public-funding-art/

In Florida they want to end all public arts funding until economy recovers.
Heh heh...

32Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

lol.....ehhh never mind oops

33Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:49 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:.... I think that is what all artists should aspire to: get people to pay them for their work...
Some of these self-proclaimed 'artists' produce works that don't sell to the public at large but want the work funded by those same people through the back-door.

I do things that sell to allow me the luxury of doing things that I want to do regardless of the work's saleability.

BTW, if we rely on artists for our culture alone, we're screwed imho. Culture is about more than funding artists that can't sell their work.

If time doesn't legitimize a work (Van Gogh), perhaps it should be hung at the Brady Road Gallery then. Smile

34Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:28 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't think that there is anything wrong with any level of government supporting artists, whether it is painters, sculptures, photography, dancers, mime, everything and anything. The city makesa donation to an arts group that decides how to allocate grants to local artists , who have to apply for a grant to help them bring about their idea!
No money for artists follows along the line of no money for community centers, etc.
Harper and his crew of hard hearted cheapskates. They have plenty of grant money for companies developing the tar sands. How is artists any less deserving?

http://www.elansofas.com

35Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:How is artists any less deserving?

I think it lies in the fact that society sees more worth in baseball diamonds, sandboxes and wading pools than puppet shows.

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

36Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Anonymous

....and don't forget hanging rabbits eh. How's that for allocating public money?

37Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:17 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

rosencrentz wrote:Harper and his crew of hard hearted cheapskates. They have plenty of grant money for companies developing the tar sands. How is artists any less deserving?

Invent a car that runs on acrylic stripes on canvas art works....

38Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:31 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

All criticism's are based on personal likes and dislikes! Arts funding, funding for business, funding for development of everything and anything is all open to criticism. When their is a cash crunch, something gets cut back, some one decides what can be cut back.
When I was in High School, before you were born, the 1st cut back when a school was being built was the gymnasium. It was mind boggling to see a gym that had its walls 5 feet from the end of a basketball regulation size! Ran out of money?
How about the fact that Ralph Brown Community Center , that is attached to an air conditioned school, hasn't got air conditioning?
Boy I would like to know who approved that! No relief from the heat, and yet the school, a monster size compared to the 7,000 square foot community center addition is a horrible place. All they had to do was get some of the cold air from groung level circulating through a vent.

39Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:25 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Public Works Minister Christian Paradis was caught flat-footed when a federal funding body eliminated a $325,000 grant to a major telescope and astronomy centre in his riding.
What a waste of money, for an astronomy centre! They charge admissions, let that pay for this useless toy to look at the stars.
What a useless occupation!

40Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:54 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Public Works Minister Christian Paradis was caught flat-footed when a federal funding body eliminated a $325,000 grant to a major telescope and astronomy centre in his riding.
What a waste of money, for an astronomy centre! They charge admissions, let that pay for this useless toy to look at the stars.
What a useless occupation!

But then who would do the daily horoscope for the newspapers?

41Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:24 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I thought all the papers were closing, except for the Wpg Free Press!
Very good point freeman! Good Post!

42Brodbeck and the Arts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brodbeck and the Arts Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:19 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

I would get Brodbeck's point if he backed it up with a lot more detail of what the money was spent on. The arts is an industry that gets support like every other industry does so it all depends on how the individual grants are spent and what is accomplished with them. Are they investments to use for promotion or to help pay for gallery use or to put on shows, or was money just given and spent on snacks? Generally if you put in for any industrial government funding you specify how much you need, why you need it, and what you are spending it on to support your funding bid. I don't know a whole lot about arts funding but from what I have seen it operates in a similar fashion and is based on expected returns. If they give someone $2k to help fund a project show that brings in $10k, it's a good investment.
Saying that giving money to a project isn't a good investment because it supports 'art' related jobs rather than manufacturing jobs is IMO, pretty stupid. Saying that the money was mismanaged is totally valid, if it was mismanaged. But giving a lot of small grants to support a lot of projects seems like a pretty smart way to fund an industry. I expect the returns off of these small grants are proportionately much better than what you get from most industrial grant programs. There aren't industrial programs out there than can help 64 employees of any industry (that completely underestimates the real number of people helped through these grants because it ignores all the gallery workers, suppliers, etc) for less than a quarter million. You could easily get that much funding on a single project in other industries if you say it will bring 10 jobs to the province or even sustain 10 current jobs for longer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum