the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gay Pride Parade

+10
grumpy old man
AGEsAces
SMW
Goth_chic
Freeman
eastsider
Deank
anny
love&hate
Triniman
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:43 am

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor

The "Older Brother Effect" - 60 Minutes.
This is probably the most interesting explanation about homosexuality that I've heard of. It doesn't explain all cases and it is a theory.

27Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:26 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I just don't get it. Really, I just don't understand this whole concept of a Gay PRide Parade, Week, Day or whatever. Like who cares. In one breath the gay community states that they are like everyone else, with one significant difference, but then has to hold this spectacle on an annual basis. Whats wrong with just living your life? Is it necesary for any group to present such a public image on what is a very truly private subject?

28Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:32 am

love&hate

love&hate

Deank wrote:

Who on here believes that I could hold a heterosexual pride parade without it becoming National if not International news and whoever participated in it being "shunned" or look down on?

Anyone?

I had this conversation yesterday, oh and the day before. Homosexuals get a parade because for how many years did the straight people suppress them, how many marches and protests did it take for at least some people to accept them? Gay people had to be openly PROUD of who they were to be noticed, to even be heard. Today a parade is in order so that the people who are still ignorant can hear and see that everyone should be treated equally regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.

DeanK you should have your parade, as well protest as to why you cannot go to an all woman's gym.

29Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:56 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Triniman wrote:The "Older Brother Effect" - 60 Minutes.
This is probably the most interesting explanation about homosexuality that I've heard of. It doesn't explain all cases and it is a theory.

I know quite a few gay men and only one of them has an older brother. Most of the gay men I know either have an older sister or they were only children.

I am all for Gay Pride. I have been to the parade a few times in support of my friends who are gay. I see nothing wrong with them being proud of who they are. You should go check out the parade one year and see for yourself. It's a positive uplifting experience. I say celebrate who you are and be proud.

30Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:01 am

Anonymous

So then we should just make it open to all . no. The dressing up has to go it just makes you look silly . And less serious in your cause .

31Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:03 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It is open to all...anyone can attend, you don't have to be gay to go.

32Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:05 am

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:I just don't get it. Really, I just don't understand this whole concept of a Gay PRide Parade, Week, Day or whatever. Like who cares. In one breath the gay community states that they are like everyone else, with one significant difference, but then has to hold this spectacle on an annual basis. Whats wrong with just living your life? Is it necesary for any group to present such a public image on what is a very truly private subject?

Good Post!

On this I agree. I have nothing against the GLBT community at all (and for the record I've been to a couple of parades), but really, in this (supposedly) more tolerant day and age do they need the parade?

Last edited by Airt Mattrèssor on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

33Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 am

love&hate

love&hate

Hmm that's funny most of the gay men I know all have older sisters.

34Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

I have never been involved in suppressing gay people. I've had gay co-workers and treated them just as I would anyone else.

If you're secure in who you are, you don't need a parade to show how proud you are of yourself.

If demand to be treated equal but dress ridiculously in a parade, doesn't that defeat the purpose of your parade?

Last edited by Triniman on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

35Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 am

Anonymous

I guess with trying to be politically correct that's what I meant to , be gay fine but stop with the bs , It is accepted fine . Do we need to dress like clowns and walk around the city to prove what . What I meant by open to all was just that Goth , call it a human parade for yes we are all special .

36Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:11 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

love&hate wrote:

Hmm that's funny most of the gay men I know all have older sisters.
It's a very interesting theory but it's just a theory.

37Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:11 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

love&hate wrote:I had this conversation yesterday, oh and the day before. Homosexuals get a parade because for how many years did the straight people suppress them, how many marches and protests did it take for at least some people to accept them? Gay people had to be openly PROUD of who they were to be noticed, to even be heard. Today a parade is in order so that the people who are still ignorant can hear and see that everyone should be treated equally regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.

DeanK you should have your parade, as well protest as to why you cannot go to an all woman's gym.

I've had this conversation many times over the years.
Some of my wife's best friends are gay, and if you looked in the paper and saw the photos of the "pride cake", two of her best friends are mentioned just in the photo caption.

That said...there has been no substantial PROOF that there's a "gay gene". Until there is...my personal belief is that there sexual PREFERENCE is a CHOICE.

I'll grant that even 20 years ago, being "gay" was taboo, and even persecuted. And society in general has become more tolerant in most areas. But more tolerant of many things, not just homosexuality.

Being gay though, is not a "people". It's not a "race", and deserves no rights any different than anyone else. Getting special privileges just because you're gay is discriminatory to EVERYONE else.

I'd also be willing to bet that the "60%" quoted earlier is wrong. It's probably more like "20%" hetero, and "40%" bisexual. Even more proof that sexuality is a choice...it's based upon a comfort level. It's determined by who someone meets and falls in love with, and what gender they feel the most comfortable associating/living with.

Everyone has "tendencies" towards one gender or another. That's natural/biological. The same as some people enjoy tofu, and others prefer steak. But the CHOICE of acting on those tendencies is what determines whether you're gay/bi/hetero or vegetarian/meatatarian.

Most people who are SO discriminatory in either direction...hetero/homo are convinced of that through social interaction. The butch-dykes are convinced by all the others they hang out with that "men are evil" and "women have to stick together". The flamboyant "queens" all tell themselves they must support each other. And the hetero-homophobe is convinced that "gay is evil" because of their background and upbringing.

Personally, I believe the government should not discriminate against homosexuals. Should they want civil unions to show commitment on paper, or to gain benefits (medical, tax, etc.), then so be it. They have (as consenting adults) chosen a lifestyle and made the same commitment to each other that a heterosexual couple have done.

And a gay pride parade/party is not much different than a Christmas parade with Santa Claus & the baby Jesus floating down the street. People are out celebrating the choices they've made...and enough people who have made the same choice (or support that choice) have decided to join them.

I would agree with DeanK question though..."what if" a group of heterosexual people got together to have the same kind of party?

I wasn't at the Pride Parade...so I didn't see the signs being carried, or hear any of the chanting. Were the chants "we're here, we're queer"? or were they "You're not queer, so you're evil"? Generally the "queer folk" express pride in themselves and the choices they've made (whether they believe it's a choice or not). What would the signs in your parade be Dean? Would they be "We love our family"? Or would they be "If you're not straight, you're wrong!"?

Of course there are extremists on either side (just like in anything)...and for me to go running through the streets yelling "I'm straight...look at me" (ok, that sounds queer Wink) seems a bit far fetched...I would have to look at the intent of the issue, more than the content.

http://www.photage.ca

38Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:12 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The dressing up part is all in fun....most of the gay people I know do not dress in drag. Some do and I find it fun. It's a form of expression.

39Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 am

love&hate

love&hate

Airt Mattrèssor wrote:
Freeman wrote:I just don't get it. Really, I just don't understand this whole concept of a Gay PRide Parade, Week, Day or whatever. Like who cares. In one breath the gay community states that they are like everyone else, with one significant difference, but then has to hold this spectacle on an annual basis. Whats wrong with just living your life? Is it necesary for any group to present such a public image on what is a very truly private subject?

Good Post!

On this I agree. I have nothing against the GLBT community at all (and for the record I've been to a couple of parades), but really, in this day and age do they need the parade?

I think they do need the parade, in this day and age it's still hard for the young kids to come out and be proud of who they are. The Pride Parade is a way to show them that they are not alone and that they will be supported no matter what lifestyle they choose to live. I've been with 2 of my friends when they "came out" one family was really accepting the other one not so much.

Now on the other spectrum I do have one gay friend who agrees with you, he believes that the gay community should not put on a parade and believes that they should just live their lives and and be proud in their own way.

40Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:17 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:The dressing up part is all in fun....most of the gay people I know do not dress in drag. Some do and I find it fun. It's a form of expression.
Ironically, if they paraded in normal work clothes, ie. lab coats, suits, with stethascopes for those who are doctors, mechanics overalls, etc., that would send a much more powerful message.

41Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:18 am

Anonymous

Yes it is but the days of having to reaffirm should be over , and you are just one of the mass now . Was not that what they wanted not to be special just normal .

42Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:18 am

Anonymous

Goth_chic wrote:The dressing up part is all in fun....most of the gay people I know do not dress in drag. Some do and I find it fun. It's a form of expression.

Like I said, if you've got the legs for them....wear the fishnets. Laughing

43Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:23 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I would not want to go to an all women's gym.
1) Women stink more when they work out

2) Some women are very self concious about their bodies and working out in front of a man is not something they want to do and preventing anyone from getting their exercise simply so I can say I was there is not something I want to do.

3) Where is my all male gym? ( which sounds like an extremely odd thing to say in a discussion about gay pride but I am sticking to my question anyway )

44Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:26 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Triniman wrote:
Ironically, if they paraded in normal work clothes, ie. lab coats, suits, with stethascopes for those who are doctors, mechanics overalls, etc., that would send a much more powerful message.

100% agree.

45Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:28 am

love&hate

love&hate

Deank wrote:DeanK you should have your parade, as well protest as to why you cannot go to an all woman's gym.

2) Some women are very self concious about their bodies and working out in front of a man is not something they want to do and preventing anyone from getting their exercise simply so I can say I was there is not something I want to do.

3) Where is my all male gym? ( which sounds like an extremely odd thing to say in a discussion about gay pride but I am sticking to my question anyway )

I'm just using it as an example as to how some (not all, apparently not you) who say well women have their own gyms, why can't men. It's kinda similar to what your saying, "well the gays get a parade, why can't the heteros!" ya know?

As for women being more stinky, yea because we work our butts off to look hot for a wonderful summer!

46Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:29 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Good Post!

47Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:39 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

love&hate wrote:
Deank wrote:DeanK you should have your parade, as well protest as to why you cannot go to an all woman's gym.

I'm just using it as an example as to how some (not all, apparently not you) who say well women have their own gyms, why can't men. It's kinda similar to what your saying, "well the gays get a parade, why can't the heteros!" ya know?

As for women being more stinky, yea because we work our butts off to look hot for a wonderful summer!

Actually...it's because women will work out with other women...but if you opened an "all-male" gym...most likely it will be an "all-gay" gym inside a year.

Ironically though...where those who bodybuild really work out...there's typically "all-men" aside from maybe one or two "die-hard" women.

The bodybuilders and intense workout gyms aren't flooded with walking machines & stationary bikes...they have piles of free-weights & other "less feminine" equipment for building muscles.

48Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:47 am

love&hate

love&hate

AGEsAces wrote:
love&hate wrote:

Actually...it's because women will work out with other women...but if you opened an "all-male" gym...most likely it will be an "all-gay" gym inside a year.

Ironically though...where those who bodybuild really work out...there's typically "all-men" aside from maybe one or two "die-hard" women.

The bodybuilders and intense workout gyms aren't flooded with walking machines & stationary bikes...they have piles of free-weights & other "less feminine" equipment for building muscles.

Sorry my mistake, I use the feminine equipment to get a body that is bikini worthy, along with 90% of the other girls in bikini's this year that we'll say 99% of (heterosexual) men look at! BUT off topic ha!

49Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:53 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

love&hate wrote:Sorry my mistake, I use the feminine equipment to get a body that is bikini worthy, along with 90% of the other girls in bikini's this year that we'll say 99% of (heterosexual) men look at! BUT off topic ha!

The "feminine" equipment is ideal for keeping a body in shape (speaking of which...how about some before & after bikini pics Wink).

And most guys who want to keep "in shape" will use the treads & bikes or other machines to give them a decent workout. They usually supplement with either swimming or some sport as well.

But they are just as content working out in a gym with women working out (something to look at), as anywhere else. And generally men aren't as self-conscious about working out in front of others as many women are. So a "men-only" gym would likely not be as appealing...and probably why there aren't as many around.

50Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Could I at least get private shower and change stalls in the mens lockers?

51Gay Pride Parade - Page 2 Empty Re: Gay Pride Parade Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:13 am

anny

contributor
contributor

AGEsAces, good post! It was interesting to read your thoughts, and though I disagree on some points, it was respectully written.

One of my favourite signs at the parade was "Straight but not narrow."

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum