the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winnipeg's 100th Santa Claus Parade: Largest Ever; Will enjoy balmy weather

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

By: Aldo Santin Winnipeg Free Press

IT will be a special moment when Santa's sleigh finally turns the corner at Portage and Main this evening, sig­nalling the climax to this year's Santa Claus parade.

This year's event marks the 100th an­niversary of the Santa Claus parade in Winnipeg.

"This will be a special year," parade manager Ron Mark said. "We're calling it 100 for 100... 100 floats for 100 years.

It will be the biggest Santa parade ever." The parade begins at 5 p.m. in front of the CBC building on Portage Avenue at Young Street.

Mark said new features this year are Santa's Block Parties -- at least one for every block on the 15-block parade route through downtown.

Companies and organizations had been approached to sponsor a party, organizing entertainment and games.

"Not one turned us down, they all loved the idea," Mark said.

The block parties begin at 4 p.m., keeping the crowds entertained until the parade starts.

A special supplement in today's Free Press includes a map of the parade route and marks the times when affected streets in the downtown will be closed.

Main Street will be closed between McDermot Avenue and St. Mary Avenue beginning at 3:30 p.m. and remains closed until the parade clears the downtown area. Portage Avenue, from Sherbrook Street eastward, will be closed at 3 p.m.

The Santa parade was introduced in Canada in 1905 by the Eaton's depart­ment store chain in Toronto. Eaton's staged the Winnipeg parade in 1909, complementing the Santa's village dis­play it staged at its downtown store.

Responsibility for the parade has switched hands over the years. The Win­nipeg Jaycees took over the parade in 1975 and in 2004 the Jaycees joined with Manitoba Hydro as principal sponsors.

The parade also switched from an ear­ly afternoon event to a late afternoon ­early evening affair. That move meant every float had to be lighted. Mark said his research has found Winnipeg's Santa parade is the country's largest lighted parade.

The parade will be kicked off by Louie the Lightning Bug, the Manitoba Hydro mascot, followed by several dignitaries and special guests led by Lt.-Gov. Phillip Lee.
Winnipeg's 100th Santa Claus Parade: Largest Ever; Will enjoy balmy weather 1643949
Today's Santa Claus parade to enjoy balmy weather

By SUN MEDIA

It's beginning to look a lot like ... September?

The weather for today's Santa Claus Parade has to be considered an early Christmas gift for Winnipeggers.

The forecast calls for sunny skies with a daytime high of 6 C and the temperature should still be above the freezing mark when Saint Nick makes his way down Portage Avenue for the annual holiday parade, which gets underway at 5 p.m. from the corner of Portage and Young Street.

This winter delay we've been enjoying the past week or so looks to have some staying power to it. Sunshine is on tap for the next seven days, with temperatures ranging from 3 C tomorrow to a balmy 10 C on Tuesday.

The normal high is -1 C, with lows reaching -9 C.

While outdoor destinations like The Forks and Assiniboine Park Zoo enjoy unusually high numbers of visitors for this time of year, the continued dry, warmish weather has some Winnipeg businesses basking in the glow of increased sales.

"Normally I would have expected winter to kick in at the end of October, but I'm not complaining," said Mike McDermott, owner of Green Apple Skateboard Shop on Corydon Avenue. "Kids are still getting gear for this year, which is pretty amazing.

"Even on Corydon, the patios are still open and people walking around eating gelati. Who knows how long it will last?"

Youths aren't the only ones enjoying the reprieve from the cold.

Bike shops are more than happy to outfit commuters for gear suited for this unseasonable weather, as are retail running providers.

"People are a little confused how to dress for this time of year," said Lynn Glowach, owner of the Running Room on Pembina Highway. "People usually have layers and layers on at this time of the year, but it's not a normal situation.

"Enjoy it while you can."

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I remember back in the 1950's,living in the Renfrew Apartments, at Mountain and Powers , having all sorts of friends over to see the parade, as our bedroom and kitchen windows overlooked Mountain Avenue.I will have to check if there was a window in the living room, and get back to you later on that.
We didn't have to be outside at all. In those days the parade started at the Armoury on McGregor and machray Street, where Ralph Brown Community Center is.
We always had a fresh snowfall. In those days we could order it in via the Eaton's Mail order department . lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

Schools used to get involved through the Eaton's Junior Executive program. The JEs would enlist their friends to participate.

I was a dancing fiddle. (I do believe that the experience had a profound effect on me as to this day I cannot stand dancing fiddles.)

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Today is a special day, my kids Jamie & Tori turned 4. We may go to the parade, the day is for my kids so it is up to them. It will be great weather....

Anonymous

HAPPY HAPPY Birthday to them!!! :party 003:

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Thanks JTF....it's all good except my son came down with chicken pox....but the nurse at healthlinks said we can still take him out.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Take the kinder....this is a must-see....

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Anonymous

The traffic is crazy downtown....never seen it that bad...45 minutes to get from Sargent and Maryland to the Maryland bridge.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

CKY News said there were 100,000 people downtown for the parade.

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I had tickets to the Moose/Marlies game but I chickened out!!

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF, I feel the same way about dancing fiddles! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

Was very good parade the grandchild loved it .

Anonymous

I was amazed to see a fire truck going the wrong way down Sherbrooke with the bumper-to-bumper traffic that was evident. Funny how two lanes can become three real fast.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I missed the parade. We were at Montana's for dinner. Next year we'll take the kids.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum